Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone wear wigs?

Default Does anyone wear wigs?

I have been joking with my husband for a long time that when I am older I am just going to wear wigs. I expect my hair is probably going to fall out because it's so thin, flat and straight and I am only 25. It just hangs and I can't do anything with it. It won't hold a curl, hair products don't work and perms won't hold.

I wish I had fuller hair, I'd be happy with wavey hair.

So it got me wondering, how weird would it be if I got a wig and wore it, like shopping and stuff where people don't know me? My husband thinks it's insane, but does anybody do that that is not over 60? I see black girls in my university classes do it and no one thinks it's strange, is it weird for a white woman to do it too?

No I think there are some good wigs depending on what you want to pay, that look very natural, and yes some women lose hair younger than 60, and wear wigs, just make sure it looks right for you and try different ones.
    Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town. George Carlin

DD - try Nioxin shampoo and products for thickening.

It's not a strange thing to do, DD. You'd be surprised how many young women have weaves/ wear wigs due to thinning hair. If you want to try one then do it, don't worry about what anyone else might think.

Quote Originally Posted by swwave View Post
    No I think there are some good wigs depending on what you want to pay, that look very natural, and yes some women lose hair younger than 60, and wear wigs, just make sure it looks right for you and try different ones.
    I don't know where to look at wigs, let alone buy them. Where are you suppose to get them? And how much is a reasonable price?

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Do they actually work? To be honest, I have never tried thickening products because nothing else seems to work, plus I don't know what products to even try. I swear I think I am going to go bald soon because my hair is extremely thin. It's healthy, but it looks so freaking flat and thin- like think of horrible hippy hair that just clings to the scalp. UGH!!!

I'll google Nioxin. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    My husband thinks it's insane, but does anybody do that that is not over 60? I see black girls in my university classes do it and no one thinks it's strange, is it weird for a white woman to do it too?
    Now that you mention it, we just see it as somthing normal; speaking as a black woman. I wear weaves (extentions) that are sewn in with my real hair. Occassionally and my mother, whos in her mid 50's wears wigs and weaves. Women of all colors can wear wigs. Depends on how you wear it, the cut and style. For your age, best to work with neck to ear styles and forget the loud colors.

My mother wears wigs, and you cant even tell. She does have one, just looks ridiculous. Its really shiny and just looks fake. She doesnt wear it out.
    Try taking some prenatal vitamins, they are great for your hair and nails as well.
    My hair has no volume, but with the right cut and the right mousse (I think its called Big Sexy Hair or Big Fat Hair or something) it really livens it up.
    (276): Michelle Duggar likes to fuuuuck
    OK, I can't sing, I can't act, I'm dumb, I'm a hillbilly, but I can twerk, so whatever.-Miley Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by FierceKiten View Post
    Now that you mention it, we just see it as somthing normal; speaking as a black woman. I wear weaves (extentions) that are sewn in with my real hair. Occassionally and my mother, whos in her mid 50's wears wigs and weaves. Women of all colors can wear wigs. Depends on how you wear it, the cut and style. For your age, best to work with neck to ear styles and forget the loud colors.
    Thanks. Good suggestion about the length too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    It's not a strange thing to do, DD. You'd be surprised how many young women have weaves/ wear wigs due to thinning hair. If you want to try one then do it, don't worry about what anyone else might think.
    That makes me feel better!

I found this picture and my hair looks similar to this, only it's not as long (its to my chest area). It also is a little thinner (and of course brown).

But it has the same look, like it's clinging to my scalp, has no body and is just hanging. I hate it! Oh and I part my on the side to avoid the down the middle hippy look.

I have seen them in some beauty salons, in a city close to me there is a wig shop, but it is the first one I have seen must admit. Try online first, call a couple of salons and they may be able to direct you to a shop that has them.
    Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town. George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    My mother wears wigs, and you cant even tell. She does have one, just looks ridiculous. Its really shiny and just looks fake. She doesnt wear it out.
    Try taking some prenatal vitamins, they are great for your hair and nails as well.
    My hair has no volume, but with the right cut and the right mousse (I think its called Big Sexy Hair or Big Fat Hair or something) it really livens it up.
    What do you do to build volume? What kind of cut?

I have tried showering and then putting product in my hair (mousse) and flipping my head upside down and blow drying it with a round brush. Then I put hairspray on it. Seriously, it barely does anything and then after an hour it's flat all over again.

What can I do, I feel cursed in the hair department. I think I want to attempt a body wave. I had a perm before, but never a body wave.

I have the same problem, do any of the thickening sprays, shampoos, etc work? I'd be willing to pay a decent amount if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    omg i have baby fine hair, BIG TIME and love Nioxin. its THE best!!!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    omg i have baby fine hair, BIG TIME and love Nioxin. its THE best!!!
    Well, shit! Maybe I should get some of that too because my hair is baby fine as well!

Is it over the counter? Where do you get it- salon or a place like Target? How much is it usually?

Thanks in advance!

I have really thin hair also, I'd love to know also.

i get my nioxin at a beauty supply place near my house.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information