Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dandruff-help!

Default Dandruff-help!

I have it from my dry, itchy scalp, so I got Neutragena T Gel and used it this morning. The flaking is worse! Its so embarassing I put my hair in a headband. In the past I tried Nature's Gate's tea tree oil shampoo(from whole foods) and it didn't work either.

I know I won't see results after just one wash, but why do I have so much more flaking after using the shampoo? Help!
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Common older literature cites the fungus Malassezia furfur (previously known as Pityrosporum ovale) as the cause of dandruff. While this fungus is found naturally on the skin surface of both healthy people and those with dandruff, it was discovered that a scalp specific fungus, Malassezia globosa, is the responsible agent.[9] This fungus metabolizes triglycerides present in sebum by the expression of lipase, resulting in a lipid byproduct oleic acid (OA). Penetration by OA of the top layer of the epidermis, the stratum corneum, results in an inflammatory response in susceptible persons which disturbs homeostasis and results in erratic cleavage of stratum corneum cells.[6]
    I used to get it pretty bad, but i started using head & shoulders shampoo and within a week it was gone. I might add that i took a rough brush and scraped off all i could every day while doing it, but after 4 or 5 days it was gone.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I also read where you could rub Listerne mouth wash into your scalp,leave on 15 minutes,then shampoo & condition. Might be worth a try.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

In the winter, my hubby gets dandruff. Bad. It's downright disgusting. He's gotten scalp scrapings, tried every shampoo managable. The one that works the best is Kendra dandruff shampoo that I get from the salon. It doesn't go away completely, but makes it more managable.

I do highly recommend the scalp scraping, which can be done at a salonif you are unable to do it yourself.

I use this once or twice a month in the winter months and I never get dandruff anymore. I love this stuff (it used to be prescription only--it is an anti-fungal)

What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Try different shampoos. The most potent ones are the ones that unfortunately smell like tar. Selsun Blue is one I remember. Denorex too. Nizoral. My sister has bad dandruff which I suspect is more psoriasis (might check out shampoos for that too) than dandruff and those are the only ones that have made a difference. She doesn't like using them because they make your hair smell like tar but you could try alternating with different ones. Or follow it up with a nicer smelling shampoo and/or conditioner.

I get mild dandruff every once in a while, Head & Shoulders clears it up but that seems to be not as strong as the others, doesn't do much for my sister's bad case. Also, make sure you wash your hair with the coldest water you can stand, this helps reduce the flaking and irritation to your scalp.

Neutrogena T Gel sucks balls. I recommend Head and Shoulders... cheap and works.

I have tried damn near everything. Neutrogena T Gel didn't work and Head and Shoulders actually makes it worse.

Nizoral has been AWESOME. You can get it over the counter, it use to be RX only. It's like $11 for a bottle, but it lasts forever and works great.

Other stuff that can help- diluted Apple Cider Vinegar or diluted tree tea oil. Rub it into your scalp and let it sit for a while. The ACV burns, but it helps.

Hope that helps!

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

I don't have dandruff, but I use Head and Shoulders or the store brand version of it. Every other shampoo causes breakouts on my back.

you should probably go to a dermatologist to determine what's causing it. anti dandruff shampoo won't do shit all for psoriasis
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^ It wouldn't work if it's eczema causing it either. It wouldn't hurt to see a dermatologist, like Grimm said.

Nizoral is the best for my dandruff. I may have to go to a dermatologist though

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I have eczema and it flares up on my scap sometimes too. When it does I switch to a mild baby shampoo for a few days until it eases up.

You aren't alone in having problems with Neutrogena - sent my scalp into a frenzy. Then again, I have since found that their skincare products do the same.

I had and still have bad dandruff. I tried Neutrogena, Head & Shoulders; etc. I found out not only did it not work for me but it broke off my hair. For one because of my hair type, which is slighty coarse (black hair) and because the PH levels were off. So, I went to a salon and asked what can I do for my dandruff but also doesnt break off my hair. Suprisingly, one recommend Sulfur 8, containing actually sulfur. Yes, the smell is pretty strong, but it does wonders for the scalp and for hair damage. The version I have is like hair grease, I part my hair and apply it to my scalp "after" I've cleaned it. They also have shampoo and conditioner.

Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think its psriosis(sp) or eczema. Head and shoulders helped, but the nizoral didn't
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information