Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic nail fills - DIY at home!

Default Acrylic nail fills - DIY at home!

I didn't think it was possible, but I just did it and it isn't hard at all. See, about a month ago, I smashed my finger and lost the nail. And it grew out with a huge lump in the middle of the nail. So I needed the acrylic to smooth out the nail so it doesn't look completely gross.

Nailene makes a kit for $7 at CVS that includes the acrylic powder, liquid, a brush and a buffer. Bought it last night.

I watched a tutorial on YouTube and it was really, really easy. I'm quite proud of myself.

Here's the first video on how to do it, if anyone is interested:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP2LnPF7d3k[/youtube]

There's no way I'm coordinated enough to pull that off, but it was interesting to watch - thanks for posting it. I love to see how other women apply their make-up, but it usually highlights for me how amateurish my skillz are.

Just a note ,Cali-I had that lump thing,too and it actually began to hurt. Then I read where Japanese women file the tops of their nails to smooth them. So I used an emory board on mine-it started growing back out straight!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

She does the best eyeshadow tutorials.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

I've been doing my own acrylic nails for years. It is actually quite easy, and a lot cheaper than having them done professionally.

You can even go into the Sally Beauty supply stores and get the different color powder for the tips.

Black tips seem to be popular around here right now.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Just a note ,Cali-I had that lump thing,too and it actually began to hurt. Then I read where Japanese women file the tops of their nails to smooth them. So I used an emory board on mine-it started growing back out straight!

I have the ridgiest, bumpiest nails (my boyfriend even comments on them) and I have to file/buff the tops just to make them normal. I think they naturally just keep growing back bumpy for me, no amount of filing seems to help
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

I used to get my nails done back in the day, but then I developed an allergy to acrylics. So then I tried gels, & still had an allergic reaction (although not as severe, but still not worth it). Then I found out that if you develop an allergic reaction to the fake nails, you will always have the reaction. It sucks

I just put clear gel over my nails. It looks great. I do way too much and my nails look like crap. Now they look great and natural.

Still, I don't think I could do it on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I just put clear gel over my nails. It looks great. I do way too much and my nails look like crap. Now they look great and natural.

Still, I don't think I could do it on my own.
    Honestly, I was shocked at how easy it was. If you've gotten acrylics / gel nails a number of times and watched the nail techs do it, its pretty easy. Honestly, I managed it on the first try. I always thought there was some trick to making the paintbrush form a perfect ball in the acrylic powder, but there isnt. It naturally does that, and perfectly so if you have a light touch.

After watching that video and remembering watching all the nail techs over the years, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what to do. And I got it right the first try honestly. And I dont think that has anything to do with me- I really think its just that easy.

I think that the key points are making sure that you use the alcohol wipe to steralize before you do it, and making sure to glue down all surfaces and avoid bubbles. If you aren't careful with these points, as she said in her video, then you will get a fungus infection and it isnt worth it. But it is honestly childs play to meet those few steps.

I'm still shocked at how easy it was.

My mom does her gel nails by herself half of the year. She can't find anyone that does them the way she likes, so she does it herself. She's quite good at it

Cali - we can get that kit here and I agree its great - cheap and easy to do!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I do that to mine too as they're quite "ridgey" I use a fine emory board then buff them, then clear varnish... unforch I can't grown them very long, too many years playing the piano I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hummus View Post
    I've been doing my own acrylic nails for years. It is actually quite easy, and a lot cheaper than having them done professionally.

You can even go into the Sally Beauty supply stores and get the different color powder for the tips.

Black tips seem to be popular around here right now.
    I got my stuff from Sallys too, but I've never seen black acrylic! I'll have to look!
    My nails at the moment are terrible so I'm thinking of doing them again.....

I almost think,when it comes to your nails anyway,no one does them better than you.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Well, maybe I'll give this a try.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I've done it and I suck at it. It really was horrible.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Gold Member

Walmart carries a gel kit, less than $10. If you can paint your own nails you can do this kit. It's two or three steps that you just brush on and the final step is the activator. It was great when I grew my nails out/off. I would paint the tips white, do a layer over the top. A week or so later I just dipped it in polish remover to soften it up a bit, filed them to shape them back up and did another coat. It took about 5 weeks or so to get back to my natural nails and was definitely much nicer looking than when I rip them off, lol.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information