Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salmon may be best-kept beauty secret

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Default Salmon may be best-kept beauty secret

Salmon May Be Best-Kept Beauty Secret
    Darlene Dunn, Staff writer

Forget about creams and serums for glowing skin, shinier hair and brighter eyes. Eat some salmon, sweet potatoes and spinach and get ready for the beauty to shine from the inside out, some experts say.

"Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which reduce stress, fight depression, and boost mood, according to preliminary research," says Lisa Drayer, author of The Beauty Diet.

Drayer has identified foods that offer both beauty and stress-reduction benefits. The list also includes yogurt, blueberries, spinach, kiwis, tomatoes, oysters, sweet potatoes, walnuts, green tea and dark chocolate.

These foods provide various nutrients such as antioxidants and zinc, selenium, vitamin C and calcium.

Each food has varied beauty and stress-reduction benefits.

Foods Reduce Stress

Blueberries, for example, which are ranked No. 1 for antioxidant activity by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, contain anthocyanins that keep the collagen in the skin intact. They also offer a healthy dose of potassium, which helps lower blood pressure.

Drayer adds that one cup of plain, low-fat yogurt is also packed with both beauty and stress reduction benefits.

"It supplies about 450 milligrams of calcium -- an important beauty mineral associated with strong bones, good posture and a beautiful smile," she says. "And protein in yogurt serves as a building block for strong skin, hair and nails. But research also suggests that a high calcium intake can also help reduce the risk of PMS and alleviate stress-related PMS symptoms."

Other foods you may love have benefits: Chocolate contains feel-good chemicals. Green tea contains theanin, which promotes relaxation. Walnuts contain an amino acid that contributes to relaxation of the blood vessels.

"Brittle nails? Maybe you're suffering from an iron deficiency," Drayer says. "Dry skin? Perhaps you're not eating enough beauty-enhancing fats."

Stress Equals Ugly

Drayer says stress can also affect one’s appearance.

"Stress can contribute to wrinkles and may aggravate skin conditions including eczema and acne," she says. "Additionally, the effects of stress not only can show up in your face, but also around your middle."

Stress is often linked to overeating, so the selection of food is crucial, she says.

"If you’ve ever gone through half a bag of Hershey’s Kisses without realizing it, you know there is a link between anxiety and eating," she says.

Take Stress Eater Quiz

Another diet, the Stress Eater Diet, addresses those concerns directly.

"A stress eater is a person that uses food as a coping mechanism and reaches for food when they are anxious, upset or stressed," says Dr. Robert Posner, author of the Stress Eater Diet.

If you still wonder if you fit into this category, take a quiz at StressEaterQuiz.com.

"Stress can damage the body and the mind and ultimately cause death. It is important to manage stress wisely and not cope with food," says Posner. "A balanced diet will help keep the blood sugar stable and give the body the nutrients it needs to fight the stress and stay healthy while reducing overweight and obesity."

Tough Economy And Stress

Increasingly, people are trying to find comfort in food because of the economic climate, Posner says.

"Right now, 80 percent of Americans are stressed because of the economic downturn and the associated stressors of job security or loss, housing and stock market declines, healthcare concerns, rising prices, etc.," he says. "Close to 70 percent report an average of two sleepless nights per week. This program can provide a way for people to cope with stress and improve their health and their lives."

The diet also includes stress relieving exercises such as cardio and weight resistance and calming techniques such as deep breathing and mediation.

The key to not stress eating is eating foods that help boost serotonin levels, says Posner.

"Serotonin helps to balance mood and appetite," he says. "Low serotonin levels can cause more hunger and cravings as well as a depressed state known as the blues."

Foods that provide a lift include eggs, dairy, bananas, nuts, bread, rice, potatoes, turkey and meats.

Posner says both men and women can become stress eaters.

"The diet will help anyone with stress to understand why they are eating and help to change behaviors so they can eat more healthfully," he says.

The diet will help participants lose weight as well, but Posner says sometimes stress eaters may not necessarily have a weight problem.

"Yet they deal with stress through food and can get out of control at any time," he says. "This can lead to nutritional deficiencies, frequent illness, and long-term health issues like diabetes and heart disease."
    Copyright 2009, Internet Broadcasting. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    The story Salmon May Be Best-Kept Beauty Secret is provided by LifeWhile.

Salmon May Be Best-Kept Beauty Secret - Health News Story - KPTV Portland
    i gotta start eating more fish again im just so bad at cooking it!

I love salmon if it is cooked right. My friend who is health concious would argue the mercury in fish outweighs any benefits it may have, I don't know if the same holds true with farm raised salmon.

yeah its so tough nowadays! we dont even know whats safe to eat any more!!! its maddening i would love to go all organic/natural food but (and I know this is just called an excuse) it is so freakin' expensive! .....

Quote Originally Posted by swwave View Post
    I love salmon if it is cooked right. My friend who is health concious would argue the mercury in fish outweighs any benefits it may have, I don't know if the same holds true with farm raised salmon.
    Nah, mercury is more an issue with tuna and other large fish. With salmon, it's PCB's (chemicals from runoff), particularly in farmed and Atlantic species. Buy wild Alaskan varieties.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

^ YEAH thats true regarding mercury, and i've heard that alaskan salmon is the bomb! and huge too!

i think with fish you want to avoid bottom feeders like shrimp and talapia right?!

It is wicked expensive. I looked at what he paid for organic pop tarts, and his granola and knew I couldn't afford to go that route. My partner and son wouldn't stand for eating organic, but I could try to sneak in some salmon cakes for supper and see how that goes hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    ^ YEAH thats true regarding mercury, and i've heard that alaskan salmon is the bomb! and huge too!

i think with fish you want to avoid bottom feeders like shrimp and talapia right?!
    Not so much "bottom feeders" as just big fish. Shrimp has good minerals in it, talapia is good stuff too, as far as I know. My understanding is that large fish such as albacore tuna, king mackerel, tilefish, and shark are to be avoided because they're at the top of the food chain---so they eat all the smaller fish, and have a much larger concentration of mercury and other toxins as a result.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post

Oh I love maine shrimp. Good to know about the salmon I will let him know, he was afraid to eat it.

see ^ this shit is just too confusing and its a damn shame that we live in a world where we can't even eat our fish b/c of what we've done to the oceans

I love salmon. I would already be dead if it wasn't safe. I love wild caught.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

ok then, i'll go by that McJag. and how many times a week do you eat it?

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I love salmon. I would already be dead if it wasn't safe. I love wild caught.
    yes to this.

we only buy wild caught...all farmed fish freaks me out, tbh. we eat lots of salmon, especially in the summer when we bbq more often. salmon is one of my favorite foods.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

^^^
    same here.
    love it. eat a lot of it too. i love it just grilled or broiled. has to be almost raw in the middle though.
    yum.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

and do you have great skin and hair?!

I love Salmon, but not more than once or twice a month. I take fish oil capsules, so hopefully that is good enough.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information