Thread: How to apply sunscreen

Being Paula

Default How to apply sunscreen

I know that with the crap winter weather you are having in the northern hemisphere you probably can't imagine ever sunbathing again, but these guidelines apply even in winter sun (if you get any!). This could go in the Health forum too I guess but anyway...

To avoid the unsightly (not to mention, painful) lobster look this season, there are a few golden (pardon the pun) rules you should abide by, says SunSmart program manager Sue Heward.

"The first rule is to choose broad-spectrum SPF 30+ water-resistant sunscreen," she says. "Use a generous amount of product. The average-sized adult should apply at least a teaspoon of sunscreen to each arm, leg, front of body and back of body and at least 1/2 a teaspoon to the face (including the ears and neck). That is, 35ml of sunscreen for one full body application."

It is also a good idea to get help applying sunscreen to hard-to-reach places such as the back, to ensure full coverage.

"Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before you go outside. And regardless of the instructions on the bottle, if outdoors, reapply sunscreen every two hours," says Heward. "Sunscreens are more effective if they are wiped on, rather than being rubbed into the skin."

Heward also insists that suncreen shouldn't be used as your only form of sun protection.

"No sunscreen offers 100% protection from UV radiation," Heward says. "For best protection, use your sunscreen with clothing, broad-brimmed hats, sunglasses and shade."

Source: SunSmart Australia
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I always wanted to know why you have to wait 20 minutes after applying before going outside. I don't worry or even think about it. Perhaps because I use sunscreen products with Mexoryl SX and/ a physical block it's not an issue (v. purely chemical based sunblocks). The products I use appear to be achieving their intended purpose regardless of how long I wait to go out into the world.

In WhoreLand fucking your MOM

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^Robocop right^^
    "Well isn't that special"

Thread Information