Thread: Free cosmetics from lawsuit

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Default Free cosmetics from lawsuit

I was shopping today and saw a sign in Macy's then I saw this on the news and online. I had no clue.

Thanks to suit, Houstonians will sit pretty with free makeup | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Free cosmetics available at many department stores

By MARY FLOOD
    Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

Jan. 19, 2009, 7:05PM

Legal Trade: A blog about lawyering with Mary Flood
    Free upscale mascara, perfume and body lotion will be available in some Houston department stores on Tuesday in what is no doubt the sweetest smelling national class-action lawsuit settlement ever.
    A 2003 California lawsuit filed against department stores and cosmetics manufacturers alleged the businesses conspired to keep prestige cosmetics prices high. The case settled and though no wrong doing was admitted, the result was a $175 million giveaway in which each eligible consumer gets one free piece of make up or fragrance worth from $18 to $25.
    The stores in Houston that will set up a giveaway table near their cosmetics counters Tuesday morning are Macy’s, Dillard’s, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue.
    “People won’t be able to walk up to a cosmetics counter and ask for a product. There will be one table, one specific place, flanked by signs full of legalese,” said Ginger Reeder, a Dallas-based spokeswoman for Neiman Marcus.
    Anyone is eligible for one freebie from Chanel, Christian Dior, Lancome or others if they purchased department store cosmetics between May 1994 and July 2003 — in other words most American women over the age of 22 or so are in on this deal.
    The giveaway is on the honor system since decade-old receipts for mascara seemed an unreasonable requirement. People accepting a free Clinique Moisture Surge or Clarins Beauty Flash Bomb will be asked to sign a statement saying they are members of the lawsuit class.
    “I think we’ll be lucky to make it to the weekend,” said Dillard’s district manager Debra Dumas of the 5,000 to 20,000 free cosmetics available at each of their stores in south and southeast Texas. “I expect lines. It’ll be interesting to see what items go first.”
    The freebies will stop in seven days or when they are all gone, whichever comes first. If there are any cosmetics left, the legal settlement calls for them to be given to charity.
    Not all stores will have all of the 20 items in the legal settlement and many of these items are small sizes not actually sold at the adjacent counters.
    For example, you can buy a one-ounce bottle of J’Adore Eau de Parfum for about $50. The giveaway size is a half ounce.
    Full details of the giveaway are available at Cosmetics Settlement - Information Website.
    The lawyers in the case estimated about 40 million people purchased cosmetics in the decade in question but a small percentage of them, maybe 20 percent maximum, will actually receive their one free cosmetic.

COSMETICS GIVEAWAY
    Cosmetics available at some stores include:
    • Chanel’s Coco Mademoiselle body lotion (3.4 fluid oz)
    • Clarins Energizing Morning Cream (30 ml)
    • Calvin Klein Euphoria Bath and Shower Crème (6.7 oz)
    • Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair (15 ml/0.5 oz)
    • Clinique Moisture Surge (30 ml/1 oz)
    • My Insolence Eau de Toilette (15 ml)
    • Lancôme Fatale Mascara
    • Ralph Lauren Romance Shower Gel (6.7 oz.)
    • Very Irresistible Givenchy Eau de Toilette (15 ml)
    SOURCE: Cosmetics Settlement - Information Website

mary.flood@chron.com
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Bronze Member
    Searching for myself in this great big world.

Thanks for the heads up. I went this morning and got some stuff. I was in line and it turns out everyone hit all the stores. Macy's, Nordstrom's and Bloomingdale's are all next to one another. So, most people in line already had 2 free products. The lines weren't too bad, maybe a 10 minute wait in each. You just picked out your product and signed your name. Nice.
    "If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me." --RW Emerson

Oh man! THAT must have been what was going on - I was in Nordstrom around this time, and I saw this massive line of people acting like it was a feeding frenzy in the cosmetics section. I thought it was just some free makeover crap. Wish I would have stopped!

Hit By Ban Bus!

I wish i were there, that would save me a few bucks.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

so you can't do it anymore? oh well; it really pisses me off that these dept. stores were pulling that shit! i hate price fixing!!!

Thread Information