Thread: Acrylics or Natural Nails

Gold Member

Default Acrylics or Natural Nails

I don't know if this is the right section or not. If not, I'm sorry.

I have acrylics on top of my natural nails right now and I'm kind of tired of them. I like the way they look and the fact that I don't have to polish them for 2 weeks but it's a pain to go and get them filled every two weeks. I'm not one of the lucky few that can space it out 3 or 4 weeks. My own nails grow super fast and strong and pretty flexible but a few of them start curving downwards after they get past the tip of the finger. Right now I'm 2 days overdue on a fill and I've got several chips and 2 nails half off.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to keep my natural nails looking better so I can leave the acryclics off?

Default Re: Acrylics or Natural Nails

I'm not a fan of Acrylics, I've tried them before. I just hated it when I'd look down and realise "Oh crap I only have 8 nails, where did he suckers get to?" I wore some over Xmas but even now when I look at my natural nails and they're ruined. They're getting better though.

I'd suggest buffing your nails, not too often or you'll make them thin but buffing really makes them shine and use regular hand cream or oil specifically designed for nails and they'll improve. Keep your little manicure kit near by so when your simply watchimg telly you can pamper them.

I don't take very good care of my nails, but the one time I actually got a manicure, they looked fabulous. So, my suggestion would be one of those every 2-4 weeks.

I had acrylic nails for a very long time for the same reason as you mklady. I started with the full set, but had them so long that they were eventually just acrylic overlay. I had them really thin so they looked more natural, but enough to give them some strength-in the whole time I had acrylics I only broke a nail off twice. However, those things are expensive. I just didn't have the money to keep getting them filled twice a month. I'm letting them grow now. I didn't get them removed b/c I didn't want the nails underneath to be even weaker from having been filed down a bit to put the acrylic on. They are almost grown out completely, and as long as I keep painting my nails, they don't look bad. I prefer the acrylic b/c a few of my natural nails have a bit of a curve to them, but I just can't afford them right now.

I used to be obsessed with acrylic nails because my own nails weren't so great. Eventually though my nails became super thin and would break or peel, they were also very sensitive to the touch. I gave them up awhile ago and since then have just kept good and constant care of my own nails without having to go to a salon.
    I think that the two most important things to have for healthy hands and nails is a great cuticle cream and a good hand moisturizer. My favorite cuticle cream is Ecrinal, you can get it at a drugstore for about $15 and use it every night. You just massage it into your cuticles and the entire nail bed until it's completely absorbed. It works best without nail polish but if you are wearing some, just make sure to massage a bit more around the cuticle and under the nail.
    My favorite hand cream is The Body Shops protective hand treatment w/ kinetin. It's about $40. It very water resistant, so you don't have to keep reapplying it if you wash your hands alot. It keeps my hands super soft and it smells like apples. I love it.
    Since you say that your nails are already pretty strong I would say that the only other thing that would help keep your nails looking the best they can is to keep up on shaping them because nails can start to look irregular pretty quickly. Oh and if you decide to wear nail polish on a regular basis always remember to use a base coat to prevent your nails from yellowing and use a top coat to help prevent premature chipping.

A sweet almond oil "massage" onceor twice a week will keep them smooth and shiny
    I always wear nail polish because my nails are very thick, so they tend to be more of an ivory color than a really nice white. I never buff them, and I use a ceramic nail file.

I don't like acrylics nail... they look fake, I always spot them
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

A*O

I used to have those gelcoat nails - they look fab and are more or less bomb proof BUT they absolutely WRECK your natural nails underneath. Apart from having them filed off (jeez, it burns) for infills and general maintenance, the nail underneath gets a horrible flakey yellow look due, I believe, to lack of light and fresh air. I don't have them any more, although I would consider it as a temporary fix for a special holiday, etc.

The secret of healthy, strong nails is usually DIET. If you are not eating the right foods with lots of natural vitamins and minerals, or if you are generally run down and out of sorts then your nails will quickly become soft and flakey. It's Mother Nature's way to telling you things are not OK. I know some people are blessed with generally healthy, strong nails and I am one of those lucky people thanks mainly to genetics, and some people are cursed with weak, flakey nails but I still say that if you are eating a well-balanced, healthy diet and don't have too much stress or aggro in your life then your nails should be able to take care of themselves with maybe the occasional ordinary manicure/polish if you want to treat yourself.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^ I agree with you to an extent.
    But I also think people are more or less lucky, no matter what they do: my mom has a good diet, and has always had thin and brittle nails and thin hair. So does my sis. On the same good diet, more or less, my dad and I have thick and strong nails and hair.
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

My nails are week, they always have been so I keep them short all the time. If I'm going out I'll just buy a pack of stick on nails that always look good. If its a special occasion or I'm going on holiday I have acrylics put on.
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

My acrylics wrecked my nails too. I definately would not get them again!

Gold Member

I love the convenience of the paint staying on for 2 weeks but I hate spending time to go and get them filled and spending the money. As of now, I'm still undecided, although, the cons are out numbering pros. They're lifting and cracking, just begging for a fungus. I'll end up like Paula Abdul, on prescriptions meds because of my vanity.

Anyway, many of the suggestions here are things I've never tried before. Like I said, I'm very lucky. My nails grow in strong, are white, are flexible and don't break easily. I just can't figure out what to do to keep the index finger nails from curving over, it's gross looking. That and I pick at my cuticles when stressed (which is most of the time). I suppose the smart thing to do will be to start with cuticle cream.

way to go tiki! the natural look, looks, ahem, NATURAL?? i'm sick of fake nails! i wear sally hansen's teflon nail polish...keeps them nice and strong!

Quote Originally Posted by tiki
    Natural. Hate hate hate hate hate hate fake nails!

I prefer the look of natural nails too but unfortunately my week ass nails just won't grow so I have no choice. I either have short stumpy hideous looking nails, or false ones! I'm getting silk ones before I go on holiday, they're like acrylic but look just like natural nails but are much stronger, so I'm told.
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Natural Natural Baby!! Fake nails trap germs and lead to infections...not to mention they hurt going on and coming off. Yipes!
    bum gone bad

Thread Information