Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best female figure not an hourglass

Default Best female figure not an hourglass

Best Female Figure Not an Hourglass - Yahoo! News

An imperfect body might be just what the doctor ordered for women and key to their economic success, an anthropologist now says.

While pop culture seems to worship the hourglass figure for females, with a tiny waist, big boobs and curvy hips la Marilyn Monroe, this may not be optimal, says Elizabeth Cashdan of the University of Utah.

That's because the hormones that make women physically stronger, more competitive and better able to deal with stress also tend to redistribute fat from the hips to the waist.

So in societies and situations where women are under pressure to procure resources and otherwise bring home the bacon, they may be less likely to have the classic hourglass figure, Cashdan hypothesizes in the December issue of the journal Current Anthropology.

Curve crazy

Until now, scientists (and apparently Western society) thought a curvy figure trumped other body shapes. The idea was based on results from medical studies that suggested a curvy waist-to-hip ratio of 0.7 or lower (meaning the waist is significantly narrower than the hips) is associated with higher fertility and lower rates of chronic disease.

In addition, past research has revealed that men prefer a ratio of 0.7 or lower when looking for a mate. The preference makes perfect sense, according to evolutionary psychologists, because the low ratio is a reliable signal of a healthy, fertile woman. Along those lines, Playboy centerfolds tend to have a waist-to-hip ratio of 0.68, Cashdan found.

However, women around the world tend to have larger waist-to-hip ratios (more cylindrical than hourglass-shaped) than is considered optimal by these medical and social standards.

Specifically, Cashdan compiled data from 33 non-Western populations and four European populations, finding the average waist-to-hip ratio for women was above 0.8. So if 0.7 is the magic number both in terms of health and male mate choice, Cashdan wondered why most women exhibit a significantly higher ratio.

That's where the hormones come in.

A little testosterone

Androgens, a class of hormones that includes testosterone, increase waist-to-hip ratios in women by increasing visceral fat, which is carried around the waist. But on the upside, increased androgen levels are also associated with increased strength, stamina and competitiveness. Cortisol, a hormone that helps the body deal with stressful situations, also increases fat carried around the waist.

Hormone levels linked with a high waist-to-hip ratio could lead to such health benefits, which would be particularly useful during times of stress, Cashdan said. These benefits could outweigh those attained from having the tiny waist, hourglass figure, she said.

Perhaps the differences between predominant body shapes in some societies have to do with sexual equality, Cashdan said.

In Japan, Greece and Portugal, where women tend to be less economically independent, men place a higher value on a mate's thin waist than men in Britain or Denmark, where there tends to be more sexual equality, Cashdan said. And in some non-Western societies where food is scarce and women bear the responsibility for finding it, men actually prefer larger waist-to-hip ratios.

"Waist-to-hip ratio may indeed be a useful signal to men, then, but whether men prefer a [waist-to-hip ratio] associated with lower or higher androgen/estrogen ratios (or value them equally) should depend on the degree to which they want their mates to be strong, tough, economically successful and politically competitive," Cashdan writes.

She added, "And from a woman's perspective, men's preferences are not the only thing that matters."

This is fascinating.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

...justifying-fat articles seem really popular.....I'm thinking that Elizabeth is a porker.....

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

^^^She probably is and you shouldn't care....you should want to fuck her for her dynamic personality!
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, most people have *some* fat. I don't think the article justifies obesity, but it's interesting how the preferences for the ratios vary with culture, etc.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

....guys like chicks who will give them some.....did the silly bitch ever think that every race has differing body types and men are attracted to the ones they are used to seeing and are available to them....I mean, what is the likelihood of a Chinese guy falling in love with a 6 foot tall woman?....probably slim to none.....so chances are, "studies will show" that Chinese men prefer shorter women.....not that they do....but that is all that is available to them......

...I can make a study show whatever I want.......

Weight shifted hormonally from the hips to the midsection in women also correlates with various cancers. Fat is like food for cancer cells, and the closer the fat is to the internal organs, the worse for your health.

So I will settle for my small waist and full hips, thanks, and hope that someday, postmenopausal hormonal changes don't change my body shape.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    Weight shifted hormonally from the hips to the midsection in women also correlates with various cancers. Fat is like food for cancer cells, and the closer the fat is to the internal organs, the worse for your health.

Perfect exscuse for my liposuction! Cancer prevention lol!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    ^^^She probably is and you shouldn't care....you should want to fuck her for her dynamic personality!
    I just love you sometimes...
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Perhaps the differences between predominant body shapes in some societies have to do with sexual equality, Cashdan said.

In Japan, Greece and Portugal, where women tend to be less economically independent, men place a higher value on a mate's thin waist than men in Britain or Denmark, where there tends to be more sexual equality, Cashdan said. And in some non-Western societies where food is scarce and women bear the responsibility for finding it, men actually prefer larger waist-to-hip ratios.

"Waist-to-hip ratio may indeed be a useful signal to men, then, but whether men prefer a [waist-to-hip ratio] associated with lower or higher androgen/estrogen ratios (or value them equally) should depend on the degree to which they want their mates to be strong, tough, economically successful and politically competitive," Cashdan writes.
    Wtf? So basically, if you have an hourglass figure - or if you like women who do - you're weak and stupid? Baaahahahah!

She's pretty much saying "Sure, you don't have the classically attractive, feminine shape, but at least you're strong and intelligent!" It just looks like sexist BS to me, even if it's pretending it was meant to make the majority of women who don't fit the ideal feel better. This is just reinforcing the same destructive old mindset that you can be smart/successful or sexy if you're a woman, but never both.

Dumb ass study! Give chubby women who are a 2 piece and a biscuit away from being obese an excuse to eat more shitty foods, instead of eating healthy!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I understood this as stress turns womens bodies into an cylinder shape rather than a hourglass? Why is this a good thing? Cortisol is a stress hormone.

I know some older women who have had their hourglass body turn into a cylinder when they started working in high stress jobs.

It is scary to see the young women today with their belly rolls hanging out, it seems to be associated with drinking a lot of alcohol and eating shit food, both of those release stress hormones turning the body into a cylindrical shape.

Ooooor maybe the reason they're better at "coping with stress" is all the comfort food that formed their love handles?

the apples are going to war with the pears!

the average waist-to-hip ratio for women was above 0.8.

That might be because, sadly, the 'average' woman is overweight...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information