Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help wanted, for more "mature" skin?

Default Help wanted, for more "mature" skin?

So.... amazon addict that I am I bought 1001 beauty miracles, thinking that it might have some skin-care tips for older skin.

It had ONE item - although it had a whole section on "yummy mommies" *groan*. So... you can be a mom and look great but as you get older, no?

Anyhow... I'm 40+ and just wondered what nature has in store for me; and wondered what tips any more mature posters might have for me?

Would it help you to know that I have alway avoided the sun/worn sunblock, have (or used to) rosacea (it seems to be disappearing rapidly) which makes my facial skin quite sensitive?
    Free Charmed.

NOT that I am more mature,you understand! BUT just the other day Oprah had on Dr. Oz and he pays attention to that lady that writes "Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me". Anyway they were saying anything with Vit A,C and lots of others really worked. That woman names names!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Oooh! Thanks McJag

I'll give that a try!

Oh, and I have "Udderly Smooth" for my elbows, knees & heels! I used to make my own (& my friends & relatives) with oils and stuff, but I'll be using this from now on!
    Free Charmed.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have horrendous forehead wrinkles like Kate Winslet and I'm young. I've started pulling my bangs down and am thinking of botox. Any suggestions for this? Can you get rid of them once they show. I quit smoking so that might help.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I swear by all that is holy that Vaseline every night, Vitamins C & E and Omega 3, and half a gallon of water daily are all you need to keep your skin in tip tip shape. Oh, and don't smoke.

i'm not mature lol, but i'm older! i have been told that i have great skin. i drink water, almost exclusively. and i take cold to lukewarm showers and use cold water to wash my face. i've done that since i was in my teens. dunno if thats what works, but it works for me
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I use the motto "I may grow old but I refuse to grow up"!

Yeah, I feed my skin hair etc from the inside, but its really interesting to learn what others do!

Thanks for you help!
    Free Charmed.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^Also, if your skin is looking a little tired, eat an apple at night. When you wake in the morning your skin will be refreshed. Apples oxygenate the blood.

Novice,just pop on a pair of heels,a great fitting dress,some jewels...
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

haha! Too cute!

When I was in hospital (and therefore make-up free) I was asking the nurse about my surgeon. My statement was "isn't he my age?" her response? "No dear, he's older than that, he's nearly 40)!!! So its obviously been working up to now!

My sister (who is only 2 years older than me & 100lbs lighter...) has some vertical lines on her cheeks that I'd love to avoid.....
    Free Charmed.

Get an Rx for retinol. It really helps smooth out fine lines and wrinkles. Patience is a virtue though, you will see great results after about 6 months. Vitamin C serum works wonders to even out skin tone. Sweet almond oil acts a fabulous moisturizer. Use it at night before going to bed and your skin will glow in the morning. A great exfoliator is plain old sugar from your kitchen. Use the more refined kind in the shower and massage into face.
    Eat well too. Stay away from refined sugars which have been shown to make fine lines and wrinkles more pronounced. Drink lots of water, it really hydrates the face.

Υeah,like i ll share my tips..not..lol
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
    Get an Rx for retinol. It really helps smooth out fine lines and wrinkles. Patience is a virtue though, you will see great results after about 6 months. Vitamin C serum works wonders to even out skin tone. Sweet almond oil acts a fabulous moisturizer. Use it at night before going to bed and your skin will glow in the morning. A great exfoliator is plain old sugar from your kitchen. Use the more refined kind in the shower and massage into face.
    Eat well too. Stay away from refined sugars which have been shown to make fine lines and wrinkles more pronounced. Drink lots of water, it really hydrates the face.
    Retinol is over the counter and kinda weak. Do you mean Retinoids? I personally swear by Tazorac and before that, Retin A, both of which are Rx only retinoids. They're not cheap though. I use a Vitamin C serum in the morning under sunscreen - I've worn sunscreen every day for 20 years - and then Tazorac 3 -4 times a week (that's all my skin can handle as retinoids can be very drying). A natural moisturizer and some other random natural products when I need it.

This is all great advice Smurfette and what I follow personally more or less. The no sugar rule is so true but very hard to follow religiously.

In the past month, 2 people on separate occasions thought I was "26 or 27". Well, that was almost 15 years ago but thanks! People generally think I'm about 28 or 29. These are always unsolicited comments and I bring them up not to brag but as testament to careful skincare for my fair, easily freckled skin over the years. We all have control to a great extent of how our skin ages.

Ok, What's an RX - I'm in the UK not the US....

What does Tazorac do? ETA: have googled - I don't have acne but do have rosacea & eczema.

I actually eat very little refined sugar (My favourite bete-noir!), eat lots of fresh veg, drink at least 2 ltrs of water a day & always use a sunblock, I prefer Vit C moisturiser over anything else, except when I have to use my clinique because even looking at my skin hurts!
    I really don't want to do anything too radical to my skin due to it already being very sensitive (rosacea anyone?).

I have to admit to buying a declor moisturising mask recently, and it makes a substantial difference. I'm very happy about that.

I'm good on the current routine (well, I think I am! LOL!), but what am I to expect as my hormones change? And what preventative things can I do?

ETA: I'm sorry - I don't mean to sound ungrateful! I just don't think that I worded my original question properly!
    Last edited by Novice; November 30th, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
    Free Charmed.

^^Rx is shorthand for prescription. Tazorac and Retin A are some sort of Vitamin A initially prescribed for cystic acne but now also prescribed for building collagen and thereby slowing down the aging process. Tazorac is the new generation of retinoids and is really good for reducing pore size. You MUST wear sunscreen while using it because your skin will become photosensitive. I have no idea if retinoids are available over the counter or by prescription only in the UK. Either way, I consider it money well spent.

I think skin creams with alpha lipoic acid are good for reducing rosacea. It helped my friend's rosacea tremendously.

NGL, I too am concerned how the coming hormonal changes will affect my skin. You're doing preventative things now with your skincare. Unless you want to get things like botox and chemical peels, it seems like you and I are ahead of the game. My dermatologist thinks that thanks to my diligence with sunscreen especially, my skin will continue to age well despite the hormonal changes. I can't expect to look like I'm in my 20s forever but if I can look 35/40 (more 35 I hope) when I'm 50 (without extraordinary measures) I guess I should be happy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information