Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! My hair is drier than the Sahara

Silver Member

Default Help! My hair is drier than the Sahara

. . . and more damaged than the economy.

Since most of it is beyond repair (from heat styling and dyes) I'm cutting it shorter than I'd wish. Having always had long tresses, this BLOWS.

Any product suggestions or pointers on how to grow it back faster and healthy?

You are dong the right think-get rid of the bad stuff.
    Try Omega 3 capsules. I know some of the are large,but I just heard yesterday they are much easier to swollow if you freeze them first. Pre natal vitamins are good too. Mostly,just be kind to it while it grows in-keep it clean and well conditioned. Be very selective about using dyes ,mabe just a few casual streaks instead. Hair dryers arn't going to hurt as long as you use a lower setting & don't hold it too close.
    PS-Try to only get hair color from a stlyist who knows what they are doing.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Olive oil on the ends.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Silver Member

You nailed it McJag! My hair needs turbo help, like, from within - I'll be getting those supplements asap. Thank ya much

Olive oil is soon to be my friend as well since my hair is naturally curly. It'll be at it's natural state for the first time in 12yrs!
    I'm a motherfucker and sell candles

Quote Originally Posted by sultryred View Post
    Olive oil is soon to be my friend as well since my hair is naturally curly. It'll be at it's natural state for the first time in 12yrs!
    I have naturally curly hair also but I usually flat iron it. Not sure if you wash it everyday but I find washing it every other day it's not as dry.

I stopped using shampoo quite a bit. I switched to baby soap that is actually soap-free and can be used on a baby's hair and body.

I also skip that altogether sometimes, give it a very good rinse, use conditioner for a couple minutes, and rinse that out.

Infusium leave-in conditioner everyday. I put Eucerin on my ends when my hair is still wet.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

what you need to do is stop washing it so much! try to cut down to twice a week ok! and sleep with olive oil in your hair once a week, its a miracle ilixir for skin, nails and hair. and yeah i kno its hard (but i had to do this myself for a year) stop blow drying and stairghtening/curling it for as much as you possibley can! just style it with some biosilk when u get out of the shower and let it be natural for a while, give it a breather

girl, if i could show you my fried bleached sparse hair what it was to what it is now, (only after i lost it all after putting a relaxer on it) you'd be blown away! its thicker and longer than its ever been! and i dont dye it though, im totally over being a blonde anyways, no offense u blondies

Years ago, I died my hair a medium brown, realized it was too harsh for my coloring and (tried) to have it died back to dark blonde. It was like fly away straw in some parts, cotton in others. What really worked for me at the time was Nexxus' Keraphix conditioner. I'd wash my hair, lightly towel dry and then apply this stuff. I'd put on a shower cap and let it sit for a few hours, sometimes even over night. This stuff really helped on the damaged parts. It would probably act as a good preventative as well.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

oh yes, definetly do the moisturizer thing under a showercap overnite, great trick! if you wrap a towel around your head or sit in front of the fireplace also a good thing cuz its makes your hair pores open up

Silver Member

Appreciate the pointers ladies!

I doubt I'll heat style my hair frequently, but can anyone recommend a good heat protecor? I was using Redken's Heat Glide when I flat ironed but evidently it wasn't doing as great of a job as I thought.
    I'm a motherfucker and sell candles

yes Olive Oil put it 30 sec in the micro and massage it in to the ends (I start almost at the roots because I have very dry hair all the way)
    put a warm towel around it.
    a miracle hair mask is kerastase or my absolute I cannot live without Dessange masque anti- dessechement. I wash my hair and leave it for as long as possible (sometimes overnight) and do not wash it to often, twice a week should be enough.
    I have bleached hair and it really really helps
    O and brushing it with a masson pierce brush (or same concept) is making it shiny.

what if u do blow dry 3 or 4 times a week???

Olive oil works great for some people, but not everyone's hair likes it.

Makes my coarse, naturally wavy hair very dry and crunchy.

Try adding some honey to your conditioner-- one part honey to 2 parts conditioner. Honey is a natural humectant, it draws in the moisture. It will not make your hair sticky, just be sure to rinse well.

If you're a brunette, try using molasses in the place of honey. Works the same, but will give your dark tresses an extra rich healthy gleam.

You could also try adding some clear aloe vera gel to your conditioner. Not the green stuff for sunburn. You can usually find it in with the lotions at the grocery store or at a health food store.

Also, when washing, coat with conditioner first. Then with diluted shampoo, wash the roots and scalp only. This way you're not stripping your hair of all the natural oils.

Avoid heat-- blow dryers, curling irons, flat irons. Let your hair dry naturally. Don't wrap it up in a terry cloth towel when it's wet, it will make it frizzy. Either let it drip dry, or use a t-shirt to wrap it up in.

Eat lots of eggs too. Biotin is very good for the hair.

Hope some of these things will help. Good luck!

damnnnn i dont think i could live without my blow dryer )=

^^ Everybody's hair is different.

Blow drying makes some peoples' hair look great..... makes mine look like straw (as does any kind of heat). I've gotta work with my curls, not against them, or else the hair goes all witchy.

Those tips I listed are things that work well for me, but I'm sure they won't be as helpful for some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information