Thread: Why won't hairdressers cut a fair deal?

Default Why won't hairdressers cut a fair deal?

Trying to keep your hairstyle in line with Agyness Deyn's latest androgynous do can be expensive for a girl. A monthly trim at a unisex salon costs around 40. But, if you're a man, you'll pay up to half that for the same haircut.
    For decades, it's been standard practice for hairdressers to charge women more for haircuts, based on the idea that women have longer hair and therefore their cuts take longer and require more expertise. No allowance has been made for the increasing popularity of short hair on women, particularly with the current trend for boyish crops, like mine. Indeed, when I went for my monthly trim last week, I found that the price had gone up 5 to 45, while the price of men's cuts had risen only 2 to 28. I was so insensed, I decided to seek legal advice.
    "Recent amendments to the Sex Discrimination Act in April have strengthened the protection from sex discrimination, not just at work, but also in the wider world, from businesses who discriminate against individuals in the goods and services they offer," says Samantha Mangwana at Russell Jones & Walker. "Where a man and woman have the same haircut, and the same skills are required, the salon is acting unlawfully to charge them different prices. There does not appear to be any justification for the cost difference," she says.
    Eileen Lawson, general secretary of the National Hairdressing Federation, admits that non-gender-based pricing is an "ongoing consideration". She says that women should question a hairdresser if they think they are paying more than men are for the same cut. "Where the service is truly the same, so should the price," says Lawson.
    But, a spokeswoman for Toni & Guy - which charges up to 16 more for a woman's cut - said the company has used its pricing policy for 45 years and was adamant that "men's and women's cuts do vary - even on shorter hair". She did concede that if a woman opts for a simple man's haircut the hairdresser is at liberty to reduce the bill accordingly. The difference is that women still have to haggle to avoid what essentially appears to be a gender surcharge

Claudia Cahalane on haircuts and non-gender-based pricing | Life and style | The Guardian

That's actually an excellent point.

It enrages me that when I have in the past gone for a trim, I have been charged the full price I was for when I had previously had 3 inches or more cut off.
    ssabmud

I think it depends on the stylist really. My momma's been a hairdresser for 30+ years and she is VERY fair with her prices. She doesn't price gouge, however, sometimes she has to charge more. Example: a person with long, waist length hair comes in and wants a full spiral perm. This causes a lot more labor and time for her, so she does charge extra based on hair length. Another person comes in who just wants a simple perm on shorter hair pays less.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

every salon i've worked at charged the same for men and women. they started at $50 depending on who you went to... and men would pay it.

i never understood the whole cheaper for men bit...as if they don't get enough breaks in life!

This is why I cut my own hair. It saves a lot of money.

If you go to the tailor, a lot of them charge more for women's alterations than men's also.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

Women tend to get overcharged for a lot of things. I now ask for a discount and bargain in certain situations, something I would have never done in the past. It's surprising how often the price will go down.

Thread Information