Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair coloring: from brown to blonde. What are your stories, tips or general thoughts?

Default Hair coloring: from brown to blonde. What are your stories, tips or general thoughts?

Hi all

My hair has been a dark brown for probably close to 15 or more years! I'm changing and I want my appearance to reflect that! I desperately want a change and I'd really love to go blonde. Or at least a light brown with highlights.

I was wondering if there are any hairdressers here who could give me advice on how much it would cost to have it done at a salon and what would be involved. I've added a picture so you know what my coloring currently is.

Also If anyone has been through the process of brown to blonde (or vice versa) or if you have ever given it some thought - I'd love to hear from you!

Why did - or didn't - you do it? Were you happy with the end result?

Thanks!!
    ssabmud

Keep in mind-you will have to have a hair color about every 6 weeks-not cheap! Your hair looks a nice color. What if you just added a few highlights?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Yes, I think highlights might be a better way as well....

A hairdresser can thread highlights throughout, which will give you lighter color all over, and the maintenance will be easier....

My hair grows fast (about 3/4" a month), and I go for touch ups every 4 weeks (i have some grey).....I alternate between touching up the base color, and touching up the highlights.

If you have no grey, and you just do highlights, it's pretty low maintenance. You could probably get away with only going to the salon every 8-10 weeks
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thanks McJag and witchcurgirl. Uhoh, touch ups . I honestly hadn't though of that. Six weeks doesn't sound too appealing at all, considering I imagine will be about $100.00 each time. Good point there!

I just read over a few threads already posted here. It seems like I will have to see a hairdresser for a consult first. I just get so easily swayed by hairdressers sometimes and leave a little unhappy, so I'm looking for all of your suggestions to help me get a better idea of what I'm looking at, at least that way I can describe what I'd like without sounding like I have no idea what I'm on about.

So, with highlights, is it basically like streaking the hair with a lighter color?

Sorry for raving on like a mad woman. The idea of changing colors is only a few days fresh and I'm a bit (well, that's a lie, REALLY) excited. . I have kind of let myself go a little bit the last few years, so this is all an exciting prospect.

ETA: And I just realized the flash makes me look like I have chola eyebrows. Not the case!
    ssabmud

is your hair colour natural? or dyed?

if it's dyed, you are going to have to either bleach it first, then tone or have the colour stripped out then tone that. (stripping colour is faster, but in my experience, really hard on your hair, no matter how careful you are)

be prepared to trim a good amount off too, usually this sort of process fries the ends.

it's gonna cost $$$. you look like you have lots of hair, so they will have to use a lot of product, and possibly do it multiple times.

my advice is to go to a VERY good salon and pay for it, b/c any hairdresser will say "No problem!" but your hair will look caca. (too bleached looking or just fried)

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Keep in mind-you will have to have a hair color about every 6 weeks-not cheap! Your hair looks a nice color. What if you just added a few highlights?
    My hair is naturally a very light brown, maybe dark blonde. I do my highlights myself, but would not recommend doing that on dark brown. If I were you CC, I would try some rich red hightlights first to see how you like it. Blonde may be too drastic for the health of your hair. You could gradually go lighter.

CCkissesx....

Try bringing the hairdresser pictures of what you like and what you don't like to the consult.

It's hard sometimes for people to understand color through words, so visual aids help.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Def agree with the highlights first. My stylist will do 3 different shades at a time, usually varying shades of caramel (my hair is med brown).
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

Yeah, if you do it all over blonde and your hair grows fast you will have to retouch it very frequently. It looks like you have beautiful hair, don't damage it.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

CC i would try it if you really want to, but I dont recommend it. Its exciting and stuff to be a blonde and all that...but, i dunno, i guess try and see how you like it.

It is expensive, damaging to your hair (and the future of your hair), and it washes out a lot of ppl's faces to be honest. I know it aged me in the face too and destroyed my hair for the few years I did it. But again, try it and see and show us the pics!

p.s. i agree; your hair in that pic is a very nice color indeed, beautiful!

I have naturally light brown hair & when I've decided to go blonde in the past - it was done gradually. Just start with a few lighter foils in yr hair, maybe a caramel colour and then each time you go back to the hair dressers, get her to add a few more lighter foils until yr happy with it. Bare in mind, the darker you are, the more noticeable yr regrowth.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah i did it gradually too, then i couldn't be blonde enough for a time, then i was going darker b/c i couldnt take the bleach anymore, then i put a relaxer on my hair and burned it all off so now i have my own hair color back plus some natural black hair dye cuz i like black hair so watever u do CC, dont use a relaxer ok!!!! and pics, we want pics!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    My hair is naturally a very light brown, maybe dark blonde. I do my highlights myself, but would not recommend doing that on dark brown. If I were you CC, I would try some rich red hightlights first to see how you like it. Blonde may be too drastic for the health of your hair. You could gradually go lighter.
    A red shade would be pretty,IMO. Not even all the same shade-several shades. Just to add interest. But still retain your wonderful shine.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

Have you considered some of the non permanent colors? You wouldn't be able to lighten your hair color, but you can change it to a red and add highlights. Some of them are actually good for your hair and it might give you that satisfaction of having done something different to your hair.

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I considered the red, but I desperately want to get away from brown so I decided blond was the way to go.

I saw a hairdresser today for a consult so she could assess me hair. She said over the phone she wasn't keen on the idea, but when I went in she said I have cool undertones in my skin so I should be able to carry blond off well! Yay.

I also asked whether I should have my eyebrows lightened (because they're dark) and surprisingly she said that the shape of my brows frames my face and darker brows could look striking with lighter hair. But we'll see. She said if it doesn't look right, she will lighten them.

I don't remember the exact order, but she said something about stripping the hair, then doing intensive lightening. Seeing the result (she warned it may turn brassy or orange) using a deactivator (?), lightening again, looking at the result and then putting a light brown or dark blond base over if the lightening of the hair was too intense and then going over with lighter blond foils.

Very excited! I have booked an appointment for next Friday. I asked about cost and she said to bring $300.00 to be on the safe side Does that sound right?

I will definitely post pictures when I get it done. Thank you all so much - I just hope I don't change my mind before Friday. Haha
    ssabmud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information