Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun damaged skin on chest--any advice?

Default Sun damaged skin on chest--any advice?

I'm starting to see some serious damage on my chest where I was sunburned years ago. I'm using lots of sunscreen now, but does anyone have any advice on products that may improve the appearance of the damaged skin? Thanks!
    Things fall apart. It's scientific.

SVZ

vitamin c, would work well...same with retinol or prescription retinoic acid

Besides Retin A (as SVZ suggested) or Tazorac, a dermatologist could give you a prescription for something with hydroquinone to lighten the skin. You'll need to wear sunscreen religiously. Avoid something like porcelana.

If you have the money, time and pain threshold - get a TCA peel. It will pull up and then peel away the sun damage and stimulate skin collagen. If you don't like pain or don't have the several days of downtime, there are skin laser treatments (fraxel, thermage, etc.) out there that are used to repair sun damage. Still pricey, but less pain and less downtime I believe. I don't know much about glycolic acid peels but they might be of use as well.

SVZ

I hated using hydroquinone, it will get worse if you get any sort of unprotected sun exposure...red inflamed skin, gross smell. lol

First, go to a dermatologist and have them screen you for melanoma on your chest.

Second, head to a plastic surgeon and purchase Obagi, there is a specific kit that is used just for the chest and neck. I have one at home, but I'm at a bar right now. I will log back on & give you the exact name of the kit. It contains 2 creams; one for bleaching the other for wrinkles.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

I'm currently using presciption retinoic acid. It takes at least 6 months of religious use to see any results. My doctor said to use it for a year for best results. Ugh.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

^^If you are using Retin A and Tazorac (at night), you must wear sunscreen/avoid sun exposure on those areas.

I still think the TCA peel may be the best way to go. I have a naturally pale, intensely freckled face - a TCA peel removed all my freckles to the point where I now have clear, evenly pigmented skin even five years later. Sunscreen and Vitamin C.

It sounds like many of the products include something to lighten the skin. I spend a lot of time outdoors and live at the beach so I don't mind having a little color (I'm very fair and freckled) but I hate those lines in my skin!

Any color you get from the sun damages your skin which is not pretty on pale skin when it finally surfaces years later. If you want to minimize sun damage, freckles, wrinkles and age spots, you're going to have to stay covered.

I had a v shapped reddish thing from sun,right at the collarbone. Like where your blouse is unbuttoned. One session of microdermabrasion erased it completely.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

i agree with seeing a dermatologist if you can

Elite Member

My PS lasered mine. Done in 2 sessions, 30 days apart, but you must protect it from being exposed to the sun for several months, so do it in the fall.

This is all great information. I live in the middle of nowhere. I'll be doing some traveling to get to a PS.

Laser may be your best bet from what you're describing, though you'd have to assess risks with pigmentation. Next choice would be a chemical peel, if you're looking for solid results quickly.

I've been using Retin A for years and it takes a while.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Quote Originally Posted by thordis View Post
    I'm starting to see some serious damage on my chest where I was sunburned years ago. I'm using lots of sunscreen now, but does anyone have any advice on products that may improve the appearance of the damaged skin? Thanks!

#1 purchase a good sunscreen, SPF 50 or more. Use it every day

#2 get screened for skin cancer by a good Derm or facial plastic surgeon. Referrals are best.

#3 purchase Elastiderm Decolletage System by Obagi. It's prescription skin care specfically for the chest/neck area. I use it once a day, you should use it twice a day.

#4 If you want to get aggressive, look into Fraxel/C02 for the chest/neck area. It does wonders, but you will have 5 days hard downtime afterwards.
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information