Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bangs

Default Bangs

anyone know how to cut their bangs? i dont wanna visit a salon i wanted to play at home....any tips?

Hit By Ban Bus!

I believe you can twist them all together tightly down to the ends, then snip the very ends off. It supposedly gives them a nice, fringy look that isn't too sharp. Good luck!

Cut them dry,in case they shrink. Just use a long strip of scotch tape at the length you want. Cut thru the middle.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i think you should go to the salon but if you are going to do it yourself don't cut too much off it one go, hold the scissors vertical and "chip" at the hair. damn i know what i mean but cant find the words to describe it. ps GOOD LUCK!!
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Gold Member

Don't cut off too much at once. Best to start longer and work your way shorter (in case you don't like how it looks as you cut). If your hair is straight, make sure you have very sharp *haircutting scissors*--forget about Grandma's sewing scissors or those Playschool shears you have in the back utility drawer. If you want a fancier choppy cut, go to the salon because they can do really nifty things with straight razors (but don't try this at home because good results take lots of practice)! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    i think you should go to the salon but if you are going to do it yourself don't cut too much off it one go, hold the scissors vertical and "chip" at the hair. damn i know what i mean but cant find the words to describe it. ps GOOD LUCK!!
    yep! cut up into the bangs. This will avoid the "elementary school-mom did it" look.

Personally I'm not a fan of bangs perdiod but NOTHING is worse than cutting them to short and looking like Courtney love. Start long and work your way down!
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

ahahahhaha i love the advice.... how far back should i get the hair from?

How To Cut or Trim Your Own Bangs | eHow.com
    A cool little video shows you how.^
    Last edited by sprynkles; May 15th, 2008 at 12:21 AM.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Elite Member

I did graduated side bangs for myself last week

Only have the bangs go from "iris to iris." Never cut anywhere near the sides of your head.

Always do a practice longer bang then cut up and up until you get it right.

Cut with the scissors held vertically and work with dry hair.

Good luck!
    "Give me your love and I'll give you--the Perfect Love Song!"

Don't be afraid either. Even if you screw it up terribly, you can always pin them up. I cut my own bangs all the time (mind you I have little fear about hair because it always grows back).

If you have a round face make sure to go for longer more sweeping possibly side swept bangs. If your face is in the middle you could probably pull off straight across just longer than eyebrow length (it can make a long face look longer so be careful).

Have fun!

Don't cut your own bangs. Go to a salon, ask for a bang trim and pay them $10 plus a tip. Then they will be cut evenly with the right shape and you can maintain them yourself with little trims.

Hit By Ban Bus!

i'm going to cut some long side ones for myself

Oh... I think you should go to the saloon... really.
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

I'd be careful at a salon too. My hairstylist, whom I usually love and who consistently does a great job on my hair, gave me Bettie Page bangs. I was pissed. I'm very particular about my bangs. I like to rock a very 1960s bang. It'll be another month until they're back to normal. I've been wearing clips and headbands to disguise the damage. Luckily it's so hot and humid here that I would have probably clipped my bangs back anyway.

Needless to say, I am not going back to him. And I will be more vocal with whomever I go to next about the length of my bangs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information