Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The *Good* Eyeshadow thread

Default The *Good* Eyeshadow thread

I was just traumatized by the eye makeup in the bad makeup thread, probably because I'm just starting to use eye shadow and still a bit baffled by what works for me.

I'd love pictures of eye makeup that you consider subtle, effective, and tasteful. I wouldn't mind bringing them to the MAC counter and saying, "Show me how to do this look."
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

are you looking for something for the day or more of a going out look?

i love mod-inspired eye make up and smoky eyes. also, you can't go wrong with just mascara and eyeliner on the outer corner of your upper lid - the trick is applying it right and while looking at pics helps, ultimately you have to find the angle and width of line that most suits your eyes and for that i recommend just playing around with make up in front of the mirror.

my staple is liner in the outer corners of the eyes, and a neutral shadow (though i don't always remember to wear the shadow). like this:

i'm pale and blonde so i use dark grey liner instead of black for a less harsh look during the day.

for evening, i think you can't go wrong with a smoky eye.

i love scarlett's make up here:

re: smoky eyes. some people use just eyeshadow, some use liner and shadow. some people line the whole eye but i find that only works if your eyes are pretty wide set. otherwise it makes eyes look too close together.

i'm also not into frosted shadows or lots of shading and blending. it's too complicated and i don't like the look of shimmery/frosty shadows. i tend to wear only one colour shadow at the same time.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm looking for a range, from nude-ish to dramatic, since I'm sure that any of them could turn tacky with the wrong colors or applications.

I also don't get how to choose the colors that I think will work best. I've seen some beautiful blended looks, and then I have no idea which colors were actually used. The last shot of your pics: I'm guessing silver, grey and plum?

AJ looks like she's wearing liquid black liner, taupe shadow over the high with an ivory shadow across the brow bone?

Was the color of Scarlette's blush used as part of her eyeliner?

Thanks for these looks!

General: I'm curious about tools. I noticed that pinkbunnyslippers did a fantastic job with that qtip applicator that comes with the shadow. I use that thing as a shovel lol, so I rely on a blush brush that is narrow. However, I see super tiny liner brushes, a fat angled brush and a thin, flat, fan brush. What tools do y'all use, especially for blending?
    Last edited by ariesallover; April 20th, 2008 at 04:55 PM.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOXH3DDrP-I[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry, this cracks me up a little.

I always use a light shadow on the inside bits of my eyes if I am using darker eyeshadow, it makes your eyes look brighter and set further apart. If that makes sense!

I use brushes when I apply my eye makeup, just a regular eye shadow brush, a blending brush,narrow 'pencil' brush and an eyeliner brush. You should also use a MAC or loreal paint to keep the eyeshadow from creasing.
    ..and I mean that from the heart of my bottom..

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    What tools do y'all use, especially for blending?
    I finally invested in some quality make-up brushes about a year ago, and the difference it made was incredible. I chose to buy Clinique brushes, because i liked them, but M.A.C has some really nice ones, as well. I started a thread here about make-up brushes back then - I'll see if I can dig it up. ETA: Make-up brushes

Finding the right colors for my skin tone and eye color was the main thing that helped me, because I still feel like I have the eyeshadow skills of a junior high school girl. I do tend to follow the idea of highlighting color on the browbone, a medium color across the whole lid, and my darkest color on the outer third of my lid.

I have green eyes, so I wear mostly wines - definately colors with a red undertone to "pop" my eyecolor out there. I always wear liner on the waterline, curl my lashes, and apply two coats of very black lengthening mascara to make my eyes really stand out.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDoll2025 View Post
    You should also use a MAC or loreal paint to keep the eyeshadow from creasing.
    Do you put on the paint b/f or after applying shadow?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I finally invested in some quality make-up brushes about a year ago, and the difference it made was incredible.
    I hear this repeatedly. Time to invest in tools and then get the cheap shadow lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover
    I hear this repeatedly. Time to invest in tools and then get the cheap shadow lol.
    That's what I did! Seriously, I bought quality brushes and use Wet n' Wild shadows almost every single day. It's surprisingly good quality.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I'm way big into brushes as well....and they really do last, I have some that I have for 15 years.....wash them, air dry them...

They make a huge difference in how make up goes on...I use them for foundation, concealer, shadow.....
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I am a brush fan too.

lol i put shadow on with my fingers. well, i apply it with the brush that comes with the shadow and then blend with my fingers. i have better control that way than with a brush.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Do you put on the paint b/f or after applying shadow?
    Before you put on eyeshadow.
    ..and I mean that from the heart of my bottom..

i think i spent more money on brushes than my makeup. i have almost everything under the sun. haha.

Silver Member

i went out last year and bought (in bits) the full clinique brushes and i feel it has made a massive difference

I really like Bobbi Brown cream eye shadow. I apply it with my fingers.

If I'm using powder eye shadow, I use a Bobbi Brown brush to apply it.

This is some eyeshadow I LOVE. Maybelline Bronze Glitz. It's $5 at the drug store and it is great for brown eyes. I get compliments on my makeup every time I use it. The neutral color on the bottom is great for highlighting the inner corners of your eyes as well, because it has a little sparkle to it but it's not so stark white that it looks like costume makeup. It's subtle, and I like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information