Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mary Kay

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Default Mary Kay

I just love their products, but I hate having to go through a consultant to buy them, because they act like used car salesmen (sorry if I offended anyone). Lately, I've been buying them on EBAY from a couple people that I trust. Recently, I met a woman involved in Mary Kay, and I bought perfume from her, which I love.
    She started out being really, really nice to me and got to know me pretty well. She invited me to a meeting, and they offer their friends a free facial. Well, she told me that I could do this business myself, and they GIVE new consultants everything they need to start, all you have to do is buy the starter kit for $100. I should've known it was too good to be true.
    I went to the meeting 2 weeks ago, I never got my facial, and was told that I had to purchase at least a $3,000 kit in order to make money with the business. Oh yeah, and there's a lot of pressure to recruit other people too. Some people are natural salespeople, and that's great, but Mary Kay (imo) sucks because they flat out lied to me. Now I'm stuck with this kit of stupid stuff that doesn't even look good on me, including bottles of foundation for ivory and bronze skin tones (I'm medium).
    To top it off, the woman that was soooo nice to me in the beginning knows I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars, so she hasn't spoken to me since then! And the Director keeps sending me letters and postcards almost every single day of the week. Frankly, it's a bit weird. I know she's trying to get me to go into it, but isn't that sort of stalking?
    BTW, the business is set up like an MLM (multi-level marketing), or a pyramid. So it doesn't matter how much a consultant sells, it matters how much they BUY from the company. And if a consultant doesn't buy thousands and thousands of dollars worth of stuff, they make zero to little profit on all their hard work.

So naturally, I'm frustrated and have no one to talk to about this. The $100 isn't a big deal, it's just the principal of the matter. I sort of feel sorry for women trapped in this situation, because they have to pretend to genuinely want to make friends with someone in order to get them to sign up, or they suffer the consequences. How smarmy.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Bronze Member

I was dating a guy a few years ago and he threw a party where I met his cousin. I started talking to her and she asked me if I wanted to go for a facial. I said sure. She had mentioned that she sold Mary Kay stuff but I never made the connection. So I show up to this place and it turns out to be a Mary Kay convention of some sorts. We get to use the products but at the end, they were just trying to recruit new consultants. I declined but this cousin convinced me to have my own party. Since I was dating her cousin, I tried to be somewhat agreeable.

During the party, 20% of the time was spent on the products and the other 80% was trying to get people to have thier own parties or be consultants. The girls at my party agreed that she was being pushy and carsalesman-like.

After the party the cousin spent a month trying to recruit me and each time I declined. She sent me videos and called me every couple of days. It got to be too much and I had to be stern with her and tell her no thanks.

I thought this girl was trying to be my friend at first, inviting me to do facials and whatnot....and all she wanted was to make a buck off of me. I felt so used.

I can see the downside of this but this girl I knew in college was a consultant and she made bank. She was lucky that her sorority was huge and all the girls loved MK so she definitely profited. She's my age(26) and one of the top earners in this area. She's already won 3 cars (including the pink caddy), and countless other items such as jewelry and clothes. With that said, she is the ultimate sales person.

There's this other MK-esque company called Arbonne that does the same thing. My friend was having one of those parties and the whole time the lady was bugging us about hosting our own parties. Yeah we weren't interested and that stuff made my face break out in a rash...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    There's this other MK-esque company called Arbonne that does the same thing. My friend was having one of those parties and the whole time the lady was bugging us about hosting our own parties. Yeah we weren't interested and that stuff made my face break out in a rash...
    My girlfriend just started this Arbonne sales thing, I've been ducking her
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Sparkly, you can order online from MKay. I still order from my former rep. She is great, is the sole care-giver for her son who is austic or disabled (I can't remember--he is special needs). She ships stuff to me. I pay for things online and then she ships them to me. Can you not find a consultant online who will do that for you?

Right now, this woman who I thought was trying to become my friend is now calling me at least twice a day, and her sales director is calling me every couple days. Their name really should be called The Mary Kay Mob, because they're impossible to get away from.

DoveFeatheredRaven, I haven't thought of doing that, what a great idea! I've bought products from EBAY whenever I wanted something from Mary Kay, because most of the women on there are selling because they want to get rid of the inventory so it's pretty inexpensive. But I'll definitely check into ordering online.

I've never heard of Arbonne before, but if it gives people a rash, forget it!
    And yes, there are some women who are successful, especially if they know A LOT of people who want the products.

And even though I hate to hear stories of anyone else being harassed by women in pink suits, at least I know I'm not alone.

a girl at my old job sold MK. she was such a crazed fool about it, they fired her.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

never tried and MK products....

but this morning on my way to work on I-80 i saw a beautiful Cadalliac Escalade in this sheer light light pink color.....not tacky....soooo pretty....

caught my eye, and as it drove past me, i saw the word "mary kay" on the vehicle...

i remember as a child my mother used to tell me that the saleswomen would drive pink caddies....i never believed her but after seeing the car today im curious ???

Elite Member

There are a lot of good products out there sold by these independent sales representatives but IMO this business model sucks. I really hate the way they try to rope women in with the promises of making lots of money in just a few hours a week. I like the parties as a way to demonstrate the products but I hate the way you feel like you have to buy stuff.

^^ 100% agree with you there. I have had 2 friends get sucked into Mary Kay. If I'm not mistaken they both stuck it out long enough to break even on their initial investment and then left.

My MIL sold Jafra when her kids were young, similar to MK. She said it was good because it allowed her to be home w/ kids, but she didn't love to have to pressure people. I guess after a while you get a client base and they keep ordering stuff. I'm pretty sure she wasn't doing parties all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    a girl at my old job sold MK. she was such a crazed fool about it, they fired her.
    LMAO, I guess she was part of the Mary Kay Mafia, stalking your coworkers.

If these women keep stalking me, I'll have to go into the witness protection program and start wearing a wig. It's at the point now I dread going to work because 2 of the MK women come in and push me hard to give them at least $1800. Now they're harassing a poor girl that works with me. I found out today that she gave one of them her home number (after being pushed for it), and now the MK lady calls AT LEAST once a day, and begs for all her friends' numbers and home addresses! It's creepy.

ugh. i tried a friend's mary kay products (her SIL sells it) and i didn't think they were anything special. definitely not worth getting harassed by some pushy bitch in a pink suit!!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I like the TimeWise line, especially the moisturizer. I used to get these tiny little bumps on my cheeks. When I started using MK cleanser and moisturizer, they went away. I pretty much use all of their stuff except their mascara and lipstick. I like MAC lipstick better. But MK foundation works well for me. I have trouble finding foundation that doesn't have either yellow or pink undertones. I am very fair and always wear the lightest foundation in any line. Most really pale ivory shades have either a bit of pink or yellow except MK's. Love it.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

My mom and all of her girlfriends sold Mary Kay when I was in elementary school. She got started when one of her friends who sold it moved and offered my mom her clients. It was good money on the side, and she didn't have to push people to buy from her. We had cabinets full of Mary Kay in the living room. The products made good gifts for my teachers at Christmas and the end of the school year, but after a few years of selling it my mom got tired of having to buy it because she personally didn't really care for their products. She and my best friend's mom were the leaders of our Girl Scout troop and they had a Mary-Kay party for us, and I remember them drinking margs the whole time and bitching to each other about how the Mary-Kay lipstick line was "behind the times".

Default Speaking of Mary Kay

So yesterday I was diagnosed with blepharitis - an infection of the eyelids. The eye doctor asked me if I used any eye makeup recently and I told her I used mascara, eyeliner, and eyeshadow about 4 days prior. I only wear eye makeup occasionally. She said this infection is almost always caused by makeup going bad, especially mascara. The doctor said to throw out all off my eye makeup because now things may be cross-contaminated. My friend started selling Mary Kay recently and I bought several hundred dollars worth of products from her over the last few months. I bought the mascara as recently as 2 months ago.

I told my friend today who sold me the Mary Kay makeup about my eye infection and she was so defensive about the situtation. She said that I must have picked up the infection from somewhere else, not her products, but then I contaminated the makeup. She was angry that the doctor implicated the makeup as the reason for my infection and actually questioned her judgement. I asked her to check with the medical staff at Mary Kay to see what their take was on it and she said it would have to wait until next week because she is going away and can't get to it. But you can bet if I wanted to buy something from her she'd have the time to see me between now and then. So now I'm out several hundreds of dollars for all the makeup I have to throw out and paid for the eye doctor on top. I was really disappointed at her reaction, and how blindly she defended the company. They really have her programmed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information