Thread: Hair care for flat ironing

Default Hair care for flat ironing

Looks like I'm going to have to start flat-ironing my hair for a certain image. Oh well.

My hair is bleached and very fine.

I'll be flat-ironing about 2-3 times a week.

Currently I wash and condition, letting it air dry with Sebastian 9 to overcome the frizz but not the wave. My thought is to use the flat iron to get rid of the wave.

What should I do to make sure my hair doesn't wind up looking like straw? I noticed a lot of folks who regularly blow dry and/or use a curling iron don't have nice hair. It's not soft or shiny.

What iron should I use? I'm on a budget.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

I flat iron my hair 3 times a week and it's still soft and shiny. To make sure your hair stays nice I would buy a mask to put on your hair once a week. I use Extreme by Redken:

DEEP FUEL, EXTREME, HAIRCARE by Redken CA.

I wash and condition my hair with Redken All Soft.

Redken - All Soft

When I straighten my hair I put Tigi Bedhead's Spoil Me Spray to protect my hair:

After I'm done I use a drop of Biosilk on my hair to take care of static

Biosilk - The Luxury and Power of Silk

As for the flat iron I think it's best to put a little bit of money on it as the cheaper one you find will damage your hair. CHI has some good models for about 100$.

Chi Flat Iron, Chi Hair Straightener by Farouk

As for the products above they will cost you a bit at the beginning but they last a long time. Last time I bought spray was 3-4 months ago and I haven't bought silk in quite a while. So they may cost you 60$ total to begin but they will last a long time.

The last hairdresser fried my hair with a bad dye job and I was able to save my hair with some of these products. In that case I used the All Soft shampoo, the Extreme Deep Fuel once a week, after I washed and conditioned my hair I would use the leave-in Anti-Snap by Redken also. It worked wonders. Joico also makes a great shampoo K-Pac Reconstruct which is great for hair. I let my hair air dry too, I think it helps a bit. Hope this helps

Redken - Extreme Anti-Snap

Heavily-Styled hair | K-PAK Product Line|
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Good call,Mariesoleil! I use the same Redkin shampoos you do!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

my daughter has a revlon flat iron, and it was 35 bucks. got it at Kmart and its THE best thing!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Good call,Mariesoleil! I use the same Redkin shampoos you do!
    It's great, I love it Leaves your hair feeling soft and smells nice.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

1. Buy a GOOD iron, Chi, Solia, Sedu and GHD are the top 4 that I've heard of, but stay away from tourmaline straighteners, a few friend of mine reported 'pulling' at the hair from these ones

2.You could try a flat iron specific product, that coats the hair with a protective film before ironing. Try a reputable salon for products.

I straighten my hair 3 times a week, and I find that overwashing my hair tends to make it crispy. I wash it every other day (once every 3 days if I haven't exercised/sweat), and ALWAYS use conditioner.
    -no split ends yet :0)
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

aww my daughters isnt a bad iron. its just not one of the EXPENSIVE ones. she's got ultra thick hair and it works great on hers, she has no damage. 35 bucks was a lot of money to me, and i consider it to be good
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^ It's not that your daughter's is evil, MsD. It's just that the ceramic coating is MORE likely to flake off than that of a Chi (for example) and those flaked off spots are MUCH hotter and therefore, more harmful to the hair. As long as she checks the plates often, and stops using the iron once the ceramic starts to flake off, her hair will be fine. If the iron came with a warantee (check the box or reciept) you may be entitled to a new one
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

thanks for all the tips guys
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Thanks for all this info, folks!
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Mariesoleil has got the hair thing down! Wow.

I use this Garnier leave in conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    aww my daughters isnt a bad iron. its just not one of the EXPENSIVE ones. she's got ultra thick hair and it works great on hers, she has no damage. 35 bucks was a lot of money to me, and i consider it to be good
    i had the revlon one for a long time and it really was great. trick is to not flat iron over dirty or product filled hair. that gunks up the plates and burns on and gets icky fast. i keep mine pretty clean so it never flaked off in the year or so i used it. then my mom gave me a CHI, and it really is way better. cut my time in half. i do have pretty straight hair to begin with so i'm not the best judge, but my sister has super thick curly hair and she also traded in her revlon for a CHI and said it changed her life.
    I'm a hard act to follow because when I'm done, I take the microphone with me.

I use Beyond the Zone Turn Up The Heat.
    http://www.makeupalley.com/product/s...ling_Products/
    I wash and straighten my hair every other day. A little of this goes a long way; it's really easy to use too much and end up with a greasy mess. Done right, however, your hair will look great.
    Last edited by birdmadgirl; April 5th, 2008 at 12:33 AM. Reason: grammar

Thread Information