Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dry lips- the constant battle

Eli

Default Dry lips- the constant battle

I get dry lips all the time. I can't stand it. I have my trusty Vaseline, aka the life-saver, but sometimes when I go out for long trips and I realise I don't have it, then all of a sudden my lips become dry. It's like the "you know you can't scratch so your body itches" dealio.
    What do you do for dry lips? And by lips I don't just mean the actual colour part of the lips, I also mean that part of the lip that people usually forget about, the skin-coloured part right below the nose.

Also, I haven't had this in years, but sometimes if my lips were really dry, my top lip would apparently shrink? I mean, I would smile fully in front of the mirror to see it, and my top lip virtually disappeared. It was like the top lip would thin out when it was really dry.

Ah, I hate dry lips. Do you? (Making this thread right now because I've lost my tub of Vaseline and my lips are dry! )

You can't just slap on chap stick or vaseline over already dry lips and expect change! First, hold a warm ,wet bathcloth over lips for 5 minutes. THEN add chap stick. You might have to do this several times a day at first. Add water before!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Eli

^^ That's a terrible idea!!
    I know for a fact because I've done something to the same effect before!
    I find it erodes the stuff you put on after, or gets rid of it. Don't you find it's much better just to whack on Vaseline/whatever you use?

Eli

^^ Sorry, didn't mean it to come off so nasty!

I do what McJag suggested so that the skin can absorb moisture and also slough off the dead stuff. Same reasoning for why moisturizer works great coming right out of the shower.

If you have a heavy-duty problem, I heard the Perricone lip line can do wonders.

Yup, my top lip disappears too when it's too dry.

Mine get cracked, and that's so gross.
    Last edited by ariesallover; March 22nd, 2008 at 10:24 AM.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Elite Member

I had the worst dry cracked lips this winter. They hurt so much. Chapstick and vaseline did not work for me. What did work was Burt's Bees Replenishing Lip Balm. I saw a difference in 2 days and never had a problem after that.

1) stop licking your lips or getting them wet. THe evaporation of the water in dry air is what causes dry chapped lips.

2) use some moisturizing lotion on your lips. It may not taste great, but slather it on and keep it there for a couple minutes.

3) seal with chapstick or vaseline. Rinse and repeat as often as necessary.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I have about 10 jars of vaseline, in different rooms and in handbags because I hate dry lips, it's my major peeve. I find it makes my lips softer, but when they are dry I sometimes pick the skin off and eat it, isn't that gross?

Be sure and slather the Vaseline on before bed too. That goes a long way towards helping my lips if they're dry, because it's stays on for a consistant 8 hours without me eating or licking it off.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Vaseline nightly works wonders. A male friend uses Aveda balm stick because it has a matte finish. Products with Shea butter and vitamin E are great too.

I read that Carmex isn't great for the lips because it has ingredients that dry out your lips so you have to keep reapplying.

Great to carry with you is Kiehl's Lip Balm with SPF. It feels like Vaseline but it's different oils.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    ^^ That's a terrible idea!!
    I know for a fact because I've done something to the same effect before!
    I find it erodes the stuff you put on after, or gets rid of it. Don't you find it's much better just to whack on Vaseline/whatever you use?
    NO YOU HAVE NOT! Add water to your already dried out lips. Wait a few seconds-don't try to put in on soppy wet mouths. Of course that will not work. Now lets go over this:
    1)5 minutes with wet paper towel (cleaner) between lips.
    2)let lips dry a bit.
    3)Then apply chap stick or whatever.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

Another Kiehl's fan here. I try to exfoliate my lips every day or so, if not with lip scrub then with a tooth brush.

I find it makes my lips softer, but when they are dry I sometimes pick the skin off and eat it, isn't that gross?
    No, I think that's hilariously awesome.

also, be careful using anything like chapstick, your lips can get addicted to it. vaseline wouldnt seem to last too long. do you have Carmex there? thats the best stuff i've ever used.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Vaseline is the best stuff. It's all I use. Last winter I found that you could buy tiny little green lip balm sized tins of it that you can throw in yr handbag. It has aloe vera in it and has a nicer taste to it than the normal vaseline.

LOVE the carmex. I use it during the day.

At night, I always put Vaseline on my lips before I go to sleep. Occassionally, if my face is really dry, I've put it on my face too, and I have to say, it works wonders. In the morning, my face feels like a baby's bottom.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information