Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little-girl primping is on the rise

Default Little-girl primping is on the rise

High-maintenance beauty routines for girls are nothing new, but the New York Times highlights the growing phenomenon in today's paper. The story begins with an off-putting anecdote about a three-year-old going in for a pedicure, and from there, the statistics are amazing. For instance:

• A survey shows that fifty-five percent of six- to nine-year-old girls said they used lip gloss or lipstick.
    • Nearly two-thirds of girls the same age said they used nail polish.
    • Club Libby Lu, a mall-based chain, did about a million makeovers of girls last year.
    • Dashing Diva, a nail-salon chain, offers girls virgin Cosmos in martini glasses to go with their pedicures.

I'm all for little girls enjoying themselves, but I won't lie to you the idea of kindergarteners having Hannah Montana makeovers freaks me out a little bit. Should we be encouraging girls to spend so much time with their appearance at such a young age? Even if they enjoy it? Tell me what you think.

bellasugar.com

Hit By Ban Bus!

The story begins with an off-putting anecdote about a three-year-old going in for a pedicure
    What kind of parent ingrains high-maintenance diva behaviour in a three-year old? Wait until she's 13, haha.

Dashing Diva, a nail-salon chain, offers girls virgin Cosmos in martini glasses to go with their pedicures.
    Is that supposed to be cute? I don't understand this 8-going-on-20 mentality. Little girls should enjoy being carefree and not bogged down in beauty rituals. Right now, for a little girl, primping and pampering is a novelty, like playing dress-up, but in ten years when it's necessary, it will be an exhausting, wearisome chore.

i hate over-indulged little shits and i have no respect for the parents that cater to these children. And i think its a shame that salons do it especially with the virgin cosmos why not give them a cigarette as well.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Gold Member

make-up at age six?!?

This is ridiculous. I wasn't allowed to wear any makeup or polish until I was 15, and even then I had an every morning inspection before I left the house to make sure I wasn't using to much. All those chemicals are just going to ruin their pretty little skin and hair.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

this shit horrifies & saddens me.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

So...their mothers WANT men staring at them like they are women? My Mum would have had CONIPTIONS if I wore makeup at age 9!
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

This is just so wrong.
    These girls, and whoever has to spend any time around them, are in for major trouble.

We did it when we were playing Dress-Up. No one got out of the house with it on!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    We did it when we were playing Dress-Up. No one got out of the house with it on!
    same here
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

There seems to be some awful Mothers about, not here, but when I read stuff like this.

My mother freaked out when i put on blue eyeliner at the age of 13!!!!!!

And I know its a virgin drink...but this "martini" bullshit is just too much for little girls.

It's an ok idea for a birthday party or something, but letting your kids wear makeup (even lip gloss) on a regular basis at the ages of 6-9 is ridiculous. The parents need to just say no. I wasn't allowed to wear makeup until the summer after 8th grade. 8th grade formal was actually the first time I got to wear makeup out and it was a really big deal and a special thing for me.

One thing that I noticed- the girls in my middle school who were wearing full-on makeup every day in 7th and 8th grade were usually popular because everyone assumed that they were prettier than the other girls. They really thought they were hot shit. When we got to high school and the playing field was leveled (they were no longer the only ones with makeup on), it become obvious that they were absolutely nothing special. In fact, that's probably WHY they were in such a rush to start wearing makeup in the first place.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    i hate over-indulged little shits and i have no respect for the parents that cater to these children. And i think its a shame that salons do it especially with the virgin cosmos why not give them a cigarette as well.
    Candy cigarettes!

Gold Member

While this is extreme and just building up a bad self-esteem issues for your daughter. I don't see anything wrong with painting your little girls nails when she 7 or so and buying her lipgloss. Some girls enjoy that stuff. I know I did. I didn't start wearing make-up til 12, but I always had lipgloss and pastel colored nail polishes not because I wanted to feel grown up, but because I liked that stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information