Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expensive skincare products that aren't effective

Elite Member

Default Expensive skincare products that aren't effective

Obviously, this is just my opinion based on my own experience, but these super-expensive skincare lotions are really all hype and aren't worth the money. Both are like $135 for a bottle and claim they get rid of wrinkles, even out skintone, etc.

I saw no difference in my skin. Granted, I'm not exactly old, wrinkled or baggy, but still. More expensive doesn't mean better. Just my humble opinion.

- La Mer (very greasy)

- Strivectin (smells funny)

- Most of Estee Lauder's lotions and creams (most of $ spent on pretty
    packaging. Their alpha-hydroxy concentrations are among the lowest
    that you'll find in any OTC wrinkle creams).
    Last edited by SVZ; October 11th, 2005 at 10:50 AM.

Silver Member

I have the Strivectin eye cream and would have to agree with you. I only have a few fine lines around my eyes but it has made ZERO difference.

I will tell you this: the 1oz jar of La Mer lasts a whole year. So you figure, either you're going to buy Clinique or Estee Lauder moisturizer three or more times a year at $30-40 a jar, or you buy one jar of La Mer for a whole year. Essentially it ends up being the same price.

Plus, my skin "knows" when I don't give it La Mer. I look like an alligator!

Elite Member

Interesting. Maybe these products work on different people's skin differently.

Again: This is just my experience. If La Mer works for you, that's great.

I don't have the Strivectin eyecream but I have have the stretch mark stuff which I've been using on my neck and face twice a day for about six months. I still have wrinkles but -- I don't think it promises to get rid of them -- but they are less noticeable and my face overall has a smooth, glowing appearance. A number of people have asked me lately if I'm getting a lot of rest (as if) or something, so I think it is working for me at least.

A*O

I have finally worked this out. Instead of spending a small fortune on trendy products, I spend the same amount (or less) on a proper facial once a fortnight and slap on cheaper stuff, eg, Ulay inbetween. My skin has never looked better.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Lil

I spent too many years loading expensive moisturiser onto skin that wasn't really clean. I eventually worked out that if I use a really fabulous cleanser and keep my skin squeaky clean, I can use pretty much any old moisturiser and it looks good and I get no spots. I use the Eve Lom cleanser. It's oil based and you take it off with hot water and a muslin cloth, you never need to exfoliate or use toner, so whilst it seems expensive at £42 for 100ml, it really isn't.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

I looked into La Mer a few weeks ago, and the reviews I read of it were verrrry so-so. Overall, people seem to find it very overpriced and overrated. I was reading about it, and apparently there's nothing special in it, either... just seaweed and vaseline (or something like that).

SVZ

it's 44% vaseline

Elite Member

OMG...La Mer has 44% (inexpensive) Vaseline and they dare charge $135 a bottle?? Rip-off.

There are definitely cheaper ways to get similar results with skincare. I have tried all of the major expensive brands, and am astounded that less expensive products perform the same or oftentimes better than their very expensive counterparts.

La Mer has this new thing that's $2100 that's a three step regime. Supposedly it has more of its "secret" marine extract. Umm, yeah right. I thought people were nuts for buying Sisley's Sisleya, and that stuff pales in comparison at $350 a jar.

Elite Member

^ Holy-schmoley! That's unbelievably expensive! If you're gonna spend that, might as well go to the dermatologist and get dermabrasion or a chemical peel.

Yeah if I'm gonna spend a small fortune on my skin, I am leaving it in the capable hands of an M.D., not some marketing whiz that's trying to convince me their jar of crap is worth more than two mortgage payments.

La Mer ?, J.Ho practically bathes in that shit, but why does she still look like a vulture?
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

la mer didn't do anything for me for the longest time, I actually gave my jar away to my sis.
    but for some reason I bought it again recently and now i do see a diffrence. I only use it on my eyes and forehead. maybe you guys don't really need it yet...I also only noticed a diffrence after about 2 weeks of every nite putting it on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information