Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need flat iron brand recommendations for the U.K.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Default Need flat iron brand recommendations for the U.K.

My SO is English and we travel over to see his family twice a year. In the past I have dragged my flat iron and hair styling products from home. They have an adapter for me to use etc. However, all that stuff takes up so much room in my luggage so I am looking to purchase a flat iron and styling products and just leave them at his sister's house where we stay. I use a Chi ceramic flat iron at home and professional products (BedHead, Matrix, Redken, etc) and want to know where I can order a UK quality equivalent on the flat iron and where I can order my styling products (maybe) so I don't have to wag those over. I know they have those brands in the U.K.

• First of all, what brand of flat iron in the U.K. is a Chi equivalent (good quality) and where is the best place to order?
    • And last, where is a decent place to order styling products in the U.K.?
    I have looked on amazon.co.uk but my SO has told me that amazon.co.uk isn't always the most affordable on various things and doesn't have the selection the US amazon has. What I saw on amazon.co.uk was low-priced or really high-priced. Babyliss was the most common brand and GHD seemed to be the highest quality and the highest priced.

I appreciate any advice you can give me. I thought if I ordered something now, I might get it on sale....maybe.

Try HQhair.com.....
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Well I use Morphy Richards ones, they are really good.

GHD are very good too.

I think most people get ceramic ones as they are best.

I don't know what a "chi" type iron is though.

Chi brand is a professional line of styling tools. I think they were the first to make the ceramic plate flat irons in the U.S. or were the first to become popular. They were quite expensive at first but you can get a basic for about $90 on amazon now. All I meant by "Chi-like" was good quality ceramic flat irons.

The GHD do seem to be good but quite pricey, especially by the time I do the conversion from US dollars to pounds. I will check out the Morphy Richards irons too. Thanks, Honey.

And thanks for that site, witchcurlgirl. I found some of the products I use for a pretty decent price.

Keep the suggestions/information coming. I am looking for a good quality, ceramic flat iron in the U.K. I am trying to keep from paying as much as the GHD's cost if I can help it but don't want cheap junk that won't work or work well.

I appreciate all the help!
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

EBay is your friend .

I have also been looking to replace my CHI iron and wondering what other brands are equivalent. Let me know when you find something!

I had a Chi, now I have an FHI. The FHI, in my opinion, works just as well as the Chi, which was surprising at first. I have very curly hair (like the 90s Julia Roberts, great huh!) which thankfully is manageable, but it takes a great flat iron to get it nice and straight.

My apologies, I don't want to post a pic of myself publicly (so I know this will look dumb), but here is a pic showing a bit of my hair when done with the FHI, specifically the FHI heat Platform 1 1/4". It doesn't break my hair or make it unhealthy, its actually quite a great brand. Its never damaged my hair in the least, which is great because there are days when I don't want to style or put in any product, just have it be curly without looking like a frizzy mess.

Curly Before:

Straight After:

Hope everything works out for you!
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I just got Babyliss Pro230 straighteners for Christmas and really like them. They seem really easy to use and heat up really quickly. I don't know how long they'll last but I usually find Babyliss to be quite an ok brand.

Thank you, all!! I will check out FHI and it is good to know Babyliss is a possible option too.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

Gold Member

Go with the some other brands mentioned, I my experience Chi is over rated most come with no settings even though its ceramic even Chi's heat is not good for the hair.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Curly Before:

Straight After:

Hope everything works out for you!
    Meow! Beautiful eyes--are they naturally green? It looks like our hair is exactly the same . I've loved my CHI, the only reason i am looking to replace it is that i have ruined the cord from wrapping it. Still, i would like to take advantage of new technology! My CHI is at least 4 years old.

I have a Babyliss cordless one which I am very happy with...they are as good as GHDs but around 30 as opposed to GHDs which are over 100!

Ooooh, cordless **claps hands with glee**.

Quote Originally Posted by t13nif View Post
    Meow! Beautiful eyes--are they naturally green? It looks like our hair is exactly the same . I've loved my CHI, the only reason i am looking to replace it is that i have ruined the cord from wrapping it. Still, i would like to take advantage of new technology! My CHI is at least 4 years old.
    Thanks, yes they are! I loved my Chi as well, but I burnt it one day when I was overseas in a bum converter, so I "settled" for the FHI, which turned out great (which never happens, eh?) I really have nothing bad to say about the Chi brand as well, I just have never been familiar with the Babyliss.

When I calculate how much money I spend on my hair, it scares me. But then I figure you hair is your best accessory! On the days mine is out of whack, it literally can ruin my whole day, so screw it, I prefer to spend the money.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

I got a GHD iron for xmas. I understand it's very expensive though, but they way I fuss with my hair, it's well worth it and so easy to use (especially for someone uncoordinated like me). From all the research and asking around that we did, it came out tops overall.

I love my GHD also. It did end up stuffing up before the year was up but I sent it back and they had a new replacement one for me in 3 days. Very impressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information