Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Those cosmetic counter salespeople

Default Those cosmetic counter salespeople

Sweetie inspired this from another post.

What's been your experience with cosmetic salespersons? I practically run through the department store to avoid their comments as I run by them. I know they are there to sell, but some are really horrible.

I make a bee line for the MAC or Bobbi Brown counter where they are very laid back and friendly. Neither of those counters go in for the kill. They smile when you approach them. Maybe it's because those counters are always so busy.

Oh, and for some reason I'm really uncomfortable with male salesmen. I don't know why. One fairly recent experience was in a dept store where I was checking out Kevin Aucoin's line. The salesman offered to show me the eyebrow pencil. Of all the things I don't need, it's that. So okay, okay, go ahead and pencil me.

He did it very quickly and it felt like he was filling in some areas that are sparse. WELL. He hands me the hand mirror and dontcha know I looked like Faye Dunaway in Mommie Dearest. I looked at him like, you must be joking, dude. I said thank you and then let him see me grab some cream and a tissue that was well hidden, and took it all off. I would have been mortified if I had walked outside and didn't look at it before.

I also love the one's that used to comment on my adult acne on my chin (I don't have it anymore). They used to say that they had something that would clear it right up and I'd snap so fast and say What are you talking about? Or, I see a dermatologist!

I've noticed a lot of them operate with a negative attitude.

A*O

I love the MAC counter at Myers in the city. Fully staffed by screaming queens who spend more time preening in front of the mirrors than pestering customers with unwanted makeup advice which suits me fine.

The Estee Lauder ladies are always complete bitches. When they sneer down their noses at me I take great pleasure in moving on to the Clarins counter next door (the stuff I wanted anyway) and buying big there.

Oh and the bimbos who spray you with nasty, nasty 'celeb' perfume AKA cat piss.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I find it depends on the person working the counters, but the Chanel, Dior, Sisley and Estee Lauder counters tend to be the bitchiest and most condescending. I like Bobbi Brown stuff too -- I just bought their Bronze Shimmer eyeliner for the holidays -- and I find them friendly. I've had a couple of surly salespeople at MAC over the years, but generally they are good. I had one bitch sneer at me about owning a Spice lip pencil (the most common shade) and I said, yeah, I own about 15 and I've been going to MAC since you were in diapers. Another one told me I should "try the makeup on first" when I returned a blush that was garish under normal light. I pointed out that I had, and that she was the one who applied it. That shut her up fast.

Clinique sometimes has great gay guys in the little white outfits -- I don't use a lot of their stuff, but I do like a couple of products.

I HATE it when these so-called makeup experts try to put me in light beige or ivory foundation and pink lipstick. I have YELLOW undertones in my skin, people, your "expert" eyes should be able to see that instantly!

I find a lot of salespeople useless anyway. Most of the time they just push you to buy anything, whether it looks good on your or not.

LOL, PB. I had forgotten about Spice pencil by MAC. I didn't know they still sold it. I remember in the early 90's when MAC started the Brown look. Women who should never have worn brown lipstick were lining their lips with Spice and filling it in with a brown frost.

Clinique's salesforce is groomed for pushy. They're practically in your lap from the moment you get within shouting distance. They are trained that ANYONE can wear ANY color they make, which is obviously bullshit. No, I can't wear your fabulous orange-toned lipstick! My mother wears Estee Lauder, so when I venture over to their corner, I usually get a healthy dose of bitchy.

I'm ashamed to admit I can be intimidated by the MAC counter and their glamourous sales people. I did wander over for an eyeliner recently and they were very nice, tho.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I've had good experiences with Clinique, MAC and a fantastic NARS girl at Holt Renfrew in Edmonton. Actually, everyone at the Edmonton Holt's (my friend wanted to go almost every day after work, lol) was pretty fab, they were laid-back, gorgeous, highly skilled and spoke to us like they really valued our business, even when we came in in our sneakers and tee shirts after a shift. They remembered our names and always tried to find free gifts for us, helped us out at other counters if that person was on break, and really taught me about eye makeup application.

The Holt's in Yorkdale mall here is weird - nobody is too bitchy, but they're extremely indifferent and don't seem too interested in whether I buy anything or not. The Bay/Sears ladies are generally the bitchier ones here, no matter what counter. And OMG! The Body Shop the other day must have had about 15 salesgirls in it, and I am not exaggerating. They must have tried to force about a dozen products on me, and heaven forbid they see you with a product of a particular scent, they'll try to force all the coordinating products on you. "You have to try this shimmer lotion, it's the same scent as your bubble bath!" Yeah, the bubble bath is a gift, so that doesn't help me, but thanks. And there's a reason I didn't pick the lotion up from its spot right next to the bubble bath on the shelf, you know. Jeez, I already have 3 items, your stock never changes, your store is about 10 feet wide and I came in knowing what I was after. I think I'm good, thanks!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I used to shop a lot at the Holt Renfrew in Edmonton and you're right, they were very accommodating and friendly. I think one of the bitchiest encounters I've had in the past year was at HR in Vancouver at the La Mer counter. They were handing out samples and I asked for one and the girl -- maybe 18 at the most -- eyeballed me up and down and then said, "Well, I guessssss it's OK." Bitch! Not that I'm proud of it, but I've probably spent (in years past) more money at HR than she's seen in her whole life.

I always find the makeup homos and slags at those counters to be hideously overdone or just plain morticia looking.

...and frankly, if i was a chick, i wouldnt want some pansy-ass marylin manson looking mofo with a fauxhawk and more makeup than ronald mcdonald getting anywhere near me.

Makeup is for ladies, trannies or Zac Efron. Not guys. Sorry.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

my brothers ex wife bragged about how she was able to get the clingy clinique peeps off of her. she'd walk in the storm hacking up a store, and no one ever went near her LOL
    Last edited by msdeb; December 19th, 2007 at 02:08 AM.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Makeup is for ladies, trannies or Zac Efron. Not guys. Sorry.
    Oh Grim darl - I love it when you talk macho.

BTW, Clinique and MAC are both part of the Estee Lauder empire anyway so I guess their sales people are trained to behave, dress and apply the slap differently. And yes, I too possess a MAC Spice lip pencil and I still use it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^It's still their best seller if I'm not mistaken. Mine is getting down to a stub, now -- time to re-purchase!

What gets me is that we KNOW they are there, no need to call us over. If we want you, we'll come to you.

Now they start talking, i keep walking.

I have noticed the high end counters won't pay you any mind if you aren't dressed to a "t". I have gone in on an off day and asked about polish (when my mom was in the hospital) and the lady looked at me like I was not worthy of their products. I then looked at her and said, "you know, I think I will just buy Chanel, I seem to like it better anyway." Then I walked off and went to the Chanel counter and purchased what I wanted.
    I guess the bitch thought I was a broke ass, redneck since I had not really styled my hair in 2 days, had no makeup on and was wearing jeans, a hoodie and chucks.

Why oh why do they always want to put blue eyeshadow on a blue eyed girl. No, I'm not a malibu barbie and I it doesn't go well with my skintone. My hair is dark so please don't put a brown eyeliner on me either. Do they even train these bitches to apply makeup?
    Proud Mama....now where's my glass of wine?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information