Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nail salon safety

Default Nail salon safety

Salon Safety: It's Grosser Than You Might Think

3 hours 45 min ago by bellasugar

I hope you're not eating, because I've just come across a somewhat gruesome story about salons. We already know that working in nail salons isn't so healthy and that estheticians work hard for relatively little pay. On top of that, your health could be at risk.

In Massachusetts, officials ticketed one out of four nail and hair salons for code violations. This isn't your run-of-the mill stuff, either: Some technicians were unlicensed, while other salons hadn't changed the Barbicide—you know, the bright blue disinfectant for hair tools—in more than a week. (Barbicide is supposed to be changed at least once a day.) To discover what can happen at this sort of place, read more.
    This kind of violation can lead to some pretty gross consequences. One woman talks about a throbbing in her thumb that began after a manicure. The cause? An infection from having her cuticles trimmed with dirty instruments by an unlicensed technician. Her doctor prescribed two courses of antibiotics, but a surgeon eventually had to remove her thumbnail. A year later, she's still in pain and has an incomplete, discolored nail. "It's so nauseating to look at," she says. "I have to wear a Band-Aid around it when I go out."
    Ugh. This is why I usually paint my own nails. And it's not just the cheapy joints, either. Even if a place looks ritzy, it could be unclean. Don't believe me? A few years ago, I was getting a pedicure at a swanky Chicago spa-lon just off Michigan Avenue. The woman next to me was talking about how she was training for a marathon, and after looking at her feet, I believed it: She was missing a toenail, had bruised and bloody toes, and had thick, yellow nails—a sign of toenail fungus. After her pedicure, I fully expected to see the workers Lysol and perhaps incinerate the tub in which she'd been soaking her feet. Nope. They just wiped it down and brought in the next person.
    Yech. Would you want to be the next person who put her feet in that tub? This is why I recommend bringing your own tools, including nail files, clippers and a plastic liner for the tub. Yeah, it's a little out of the ordinary, but a bit of prevention is worth it, wouldn't you say?

Pop Sugar,source
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

I started doing my own nails after getting a case of the "greenies" this summer after a manicure. There's nothing more attractive than big blobs of green growing on your nails.... I'm still not exactly sure what, exactly, that mess was.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I've been going to the same salon for years and have never had a problem. They also open new packages from and autoclave for each customer so... yeah you do have to watch out for that crap.

I do my own. I don't like all those electric devices that the nail places around here use, and the locals just charge way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I've been going to the same salon for years and have never had a problem. They also open new packages from and autoclave for each customer so... yeah you do have to watch out for that crap.
    Same here...they open a fresh package for each customer. The old salon I used to go to let you purchase your own tools and leave them at the salon in a little box with your name, or you could take them home.

Gold Member

I stopped getting my nails done after seeing the story on 20/20 about the woman who sued her salon after getting herpes. Eeeeew--not worth it!!!

http://www.beautytech.info/articles/abcnews5-29-02.pdf

I'm pretty sure they gave her the wrong base coat too ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Buffy Burnett View Post
    I stopped getting my nails done after seeing the story on 20/20 about the woman who sued her salon after getting herpes. Eeeeew--not worth it!!!

http://www.beautytech.info/articles/abcnews5-29-02.pdf

I started doing my own waxing because of that. A woman in NY had sued a salon, as she got herpes of the eye from an eyebrow wax she had done in the salon. While each person gets fresh instruments (wood waxing sticks) they use a communal pot of wax. It scared the crap out of me and now I do it myself.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

you do your own waxing? I give you credit. It hurts just having someone else do it but to do it yourself. amen to you.
    YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
    (M. Jagger/K. Richards)

i always do my own nails
    I am too paranoid and i can do just as good of a job.

it takes time, but i'd rather save the money and save myself from risking infection. You also never know if someone working on your nails has some kind of disease that they can pass to you...what if you have a cut etc?

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Same here...they open a fresh package for each customer. The old salon I used to go to let you purchase your own tools and leave them at the salon in a little box with your name, or you could take them home.
    That is what the nail salon I go to,do. I take my little box with me every two weeks. I have never had a problem at the place I go, been going to the same one for several years.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

This thread is freaking me out, since I just got my hands and feet done today.

I did watch the woman doing my feet Lysol the shit out of the tub, tho.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

She propbably used something other than lysol? When I did my apprenticeship for peircing at a tattoo shop we had some crazy hardcore stuff that we had to spray every surface down with, let sit and then wipe up after each customer.
    I learned alot about blood born pathogens there. I don't understand how someone got "eye herpes" a stye from hot wax that doesn't make any sense. The only thing I know of is that Hep C can live outside the body for up to 2 weeks and that's under ideal conditions. Other viruses and bacterium have a rather short lifespan outside of their "host".

NEW YORK — As summer starts, strappy sandals and teeny-weeny bikinis come out of the closet, inciting a rush to salons for nail care and waxing appointments.

But the dirty secrets lurking in some salons can brew infections that make people with otherwise polished bods want to cover up.
    The health risks associated with the beauty industry, according to the American Academy of Dermatology, include viral infections such as HIV, hepatitis B and C, and warts, as well as bacterial and fungal infections.

Beauty editor Didi Gluck went for a standard manicure, but awoke in the middle of the night to find one of her hands with freshly painted nails, throbbing, swollen and so painful she raced to the ER.
    "I went to a reputable salon for a manicure," said Gluck, of Marie Claire magazine. "The manicurists just ever so slightly nicked me, but I don’t think the utensil was as clean as it could have been." At the emergency room later that night Gluck’s infected finger was injected with Novocain, lanced and drained.

Infected pedicure footbaths, manicure tools and shared waxing applicators are the perpetrators that cause most infections.
    In an extreme case, more than 100 women who went to the same salon in Watsonville, Calif., for pedicures were horrified when bumps formed on their legs and feet. The bumps turned into purple pus-filled boils that erupted discharge, seemed to heal, and then formed again and spread to other areas.

This outbreak of Mycobacterium fortuitum infections in September 2000 was recently examined in The New England Journal of Medicine, which reported that all patients had had whirlpool footbaths and 70 percent had shaved their legs before the pedicure, which raises the risk of infection.

Although they went to the salon (which was later closed by the health department) to improve their looks, some patrons were left with "disfiguring scarring on their legs," said Betsy McCarty, chief of public health for the Santa Cruz County Health Department.

And the strong antibiotics, taken for six months by the infected women were "no picnic," McCarty said, with side effects including yeast infections, diarrhea and nausea.

Footbaths with whirlpool jets may seem more luxurious, but they can harbor the most bacteria. Nail clippings, skin and hair are just some things that linger in the jets and behind the drainage screens of these baths.

"Most people wouldn't say 'take that screen out and let me see what's behind it,'" McCarty said. "A bacterial soup was back there behind the screens … There was enough hair to make a toupee."

To minimize the risk of infection Gluck recommends looking for a prominently displayed operator's license, bringing your own nail implements and getting a pedicure in salons that bathe your feet in a basin that can be dumped out after each use.

But there are other ways to catch a contagious disease.

Jeanine Camerlengo of Staten Island, N.Y., went to her local salon for an eyebrow waxing, and, according to her lawyer Bruce Egert, the attendant applied the wax with "a terribly infected stick," that had been "used on somebody else in a rather delicate part of her body," he told the New York Post.

Some of the wax dripped onto the corners of her eyes. Five days later an ophthalmologist found she was "suffering from herpetic keratoconjunctivitis in her eyes," the Post reported.

Contracting herpes from a wax is unlikely, said Dr. Lynn McKinley-Grant, a dermatologist in Chevy Chase, Md., but it is possible.

However, for those who bear the pain of a bikini wax, other complications are more common.

McKinley-Grant said she often sees patients with burns resulting from wax heated too hot, and the bacterial infection Folliculitis, which "looks like little yellow pus bumps around the hair follicles and can be treated with antibiotics," she explained.

To help avoid these mishaps, use common sense when selecting a salon, McKinley-Grant advised.

"Make sure the waxing room is clean, that the technician has washed [her] hands or is wearing gloves, that the paper on the exam table has been changed, and that a new applicator stick is used for each person," she said.

McCarty said women should be aware that the organism that caused suffering for so many in Watsonville could lurk in footbaths anywhere.
    "Unless people are conscientious about cleaning those tubs in a very thorough way, this could very easily happen again," she warned.

FOXNews.com - Dangers Lurk in Dirty Salons - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

I figure, why take a chance. So I do it myself with my own stuff.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by birdmadgirl View Post
    I started doing my own nails after getting a case of the "greenies" this summer after a manicure. There's nothing more attractive than big blobs of green growing on your nails.... I'm still not exactly sure what, exactly, that mess was.
    I've had that with my acrylic nails.. there is a crack and water gets in and under and it's mold..but I don't know with just a manicure.

I've gone to the same place for 15 years.. and she has a seperate pack of files,etc for every customer.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information