Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The perfect blowout

Default The perfect blowout

Ahhhh, the perfect blowout. How is it you never really look as put together as you do when you leave the salon? Is there magic to achieving the perfect blowout or is possible, just possible to do it yourself? Actually, it is as long as you follow the right steps. Straight, glossy hair is rarely out of style and a good blowout can last several days. Once you learn how to do it the right way and you take your time, you should be able to keep the look for several days. If you find hair is getting greasy, a bit of baby powder along the crown not only soaks up oils, it adds body.

Difficulty: Average

Time Required: 15-30 minutes, depending on length and thickness of hair
    Here's How:

1. Start with freshly-washed hair.
      If you have dry hair, condition in the shower. If you have fine hair, condition only the ends. Blot hair -- never rub -- with a towel to get rid of excess moisture. You can't do a blowout with super wet hair or it will take forever.
    2. Apply product to towel-dried hair.
      A good styling product is key to the perfect blowout. It adds body to fine, limp hair, while women with thick, curly hair need to keep the frizzies at bay. The secret is to coat every strand of hair with product.
      If you have dry hair, work in a leave-in conditioner, a straightening balm or shine serum. Start by coating the ends, working your way up the hair shaft. Finish by combing the product through hair.
      If you have flat, limp hair, spritz a thickening spray (I swear by Bumble and Bumble) or work in a mousse. Stay away from gels.
    3. Break out the blowdryer.
      If hair is still pretty wet, use a dryer to remove excess moisture before you start the blowdry or let hair airdry for a few minutes.
    4. Separate hair into sections. Divide combed hair into sections and secure with clips or ponytail holders. I find winding hair into mini buns -- two in the back and one on each side -- works best. If you have super thick or heavy hair, try dividing each of your sections. One above the other helps manage the blowout. Leave out a section to start with.

Start with your fingers.
    Stylists know the secret to the perfect blowout is to start with your fingers. Pull your fingers through hair starting at the roots. Pull hair out a few inches and hold it while you use the dryer to shoot air at the crown on down. "A brush can only get so close in," says Manhattan stylist David Dieguez, in the July 2007 issue of Lucky Magazine. Dieguez suggests holding hair super taut, "otherwise, moisture stays in the hair shaft and frizzes it up."
    Move on the round brush.

Now that your roots are dry, it's time to move on to a round-barreled brush (Ken Paves prefers a "mixed-bristle brush" -- a mix of boar and synthetic bristles). Pull the brush through hair as you blowdry, pointing the nozzle downward onto hair (this supposedly helps with frizz). Celebrity stylist Ken Paves likes to start with the ends, because they tend to dry fastest.
    Pull hair super taut as you dry.
    As you pull the brush through hair, follow the brush with the dryer. I love Dieguez's tip in Lucky, "Imagine there's a point six inches in front of your nose. Stretch the hair toward that point as you dry. It sounds crazy, but when you're done, the tips won't flip under or up -- they'll just sort of fan out over your shoulders."
    Lock in style with the "cool button."
    The last step for each section is to pull hair taut with the brush and blast it with cool air from your dryer. You can also each dried section up in a Velcro roller.
    Continue through all sections until hair is dry.
    Finish off with a serum.
    Weigh down random frizzy bits with a shine serum or balm. Skip this step if you have limp, oily hair.
    What You Need:

• Styling product for your hair type
    • Wide-tooth comb
    • Clips or ponytail holders
    • Blowdryer
    • Wide-barrelled brush, preferably a mix of boar and synthetic bristles

The Perfect Blowout -- How to Blowdry Your Hair

No blowouts for me, thank you.... that would destroy my hair!!

I guess me and my deal breakers will never fit in down at the KKK.

You and me both Sweetness. Besides, we're both top-lip herp sufferers -- KKK automatically denied!
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

i admit i'm a sucker for a good blowout not the big texas hair but nice, shiny straight hair with a bit of volume at the roots. i do them myself occasionally (my usual hair drying routine consists of towelling dry, bending my head forward and blow drying). unless i'm at the salon for a haircut, or when i'm visiting my grandmother. she hasn't washed her own hair since the 40s probably, and whenever i go stay with her she spoils me by taking me to the salon with her twice a week to have our hair washed and blown out. oh, and i also get my deal-breakers manicured.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I've never been able to blow out my own hair.. god something about that sentence seemed so unnatural to type

My arm always feels like it's about to drop off. I can never get it to last and feel thick and full like the salon blow out..
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    You and me both Sweetness. Besides, we're both top-lip herp sufferers -- KKK automatically denied!
    Oh crap, that's right!! Yet another reason we'll never fit in.

I gotta say I got my haircut lastnight and .. I got me a fabulous BLOW OUT. It could last for days but she put so much product on it .. I can barely get my fingers or brush through it ..so I'm off to shower.

And I can never do a blow out like she can.. it's an art.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I misread the title of the thread. I thought it was The Perfect Blowjob. ROFL!

Quote Originally Posted by lamour View Post
    Oh good, I wasn't the only one!

It's only a blowout if someone else does it for you after a long soak in rare minerals and oils made from the eyes of baby seals.

You beat me to it!

Going back to the REAL topic, it's really easy for me to dry my hair because it's so straight that I don't even need a brush.
    When I'm at my parents' I like to ask my mum to do it for me

Ya bunch of perverts!

Quote Originally Posted by memebot View Post
    It's only a blowout if someone else does it for you after a long soak in rare minerals and oils made from the eyes of baby seals.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    I've never been able to blow out my own hair..
    Yep that makes two of us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information