Thread: Split nail

Default Split nail

On my right hand pinky finger, the nail is split right at the quick. So anytime it grows out, it rips off at the split.

Does anyone know what causes this or how to fix it? It's been for the last 6-8 months that it's been happening and I can't find anything on Google about this type of problem.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Anybody? Hello?

No idea sorry

Anyone know?

I think you ought to let a dermotologist look at it. Something underneath could be causing this-like a tiny cyst or something. They look at it with one of those giant magnifying glass. But find out-there has to be a reason!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

My dad had that once when I was a kid, but I forget what was done to take care of it. I know some people get annoyed about my hammering about vitamins but you could ask the doc about nutritional issues too, and if that could be a contributing factor.

^^My nails are pretty much like that all that time and I've tried absolutely everything and nothing seems to work.

Hit By Ban Bus!

onychoschizia

well, this ^ page says it isn't caused by vitamin deficiency, but at the bottom it states that taking colloidal minerals and a multivitamin each day has been shown to increase the speed of nail growth which in turn leads to healthier nails.

Sounds like a trip to the derm doc is in order. Let us know what happens, nwgirl. Is it painful?

Hmm...I've tried gelatin, extra calcium, I take vitamins, I did take a mineral concentrate for a while, I've used oils, lotions, creams and polishes, but I've never tried this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have a bottle of colloidal silver that I barely used after I bought it so I can't provide any glowing reviews as to how it works, but there are plenty of testamonials online. It's supposed to be one of those things that cures a lot of things (or improves them). Couldn't hurt to give it a try. These things tend to take a while though.

I'd try something other than colloidal silver due to the risks of developing Argyria.

Info on Argyria:
    eMedicine - Argyria : Article by Kamila K Padlewska

GIS for Argyria: argyria - Google Image Search

Quackwatch:
    Colloidal Silver: Risk Without Benefit

More info:
    Argyria

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Hit By Ban Bus!

ooo, good info. Thanks for posting, twitchy.

I've met a few people helped by colloidal silver, but I was never convinced enough to actually use the stuff not that it doesn't work for some people. It could hardly be called a cure-all though. And one thing I've heard is that you're supposed to ingest very small amounts of it if you do use it.

You need to go get it looked at. I have a pinky toe that every 6-8 months or so, turns black and falls off. It has done it for years. I never went to the doc about it but a couple of years ago, I started getting some wicked ingrown toenails. I happen to go when my pinky toe was black and told the doc. He said it was the same thing that is happening to my big toe that keeps getting the ingrown nails. He said that I must be putting some trauma on them at a time when the growth is rapid. I figured it out that I stub my toes A LOT. I noticed it after I had stubbed all 4 problems toes in one week.

With all the said, I wonder if maybe you are doing something that keeps causing trauma to your pinky finger?

Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like I need to go see a doc. It's not painful, just annoying cause it looks odd to have one fingernail down to the quick and all the rest of them longer.

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone. Sounds like I need to go see a doc. It's not painful, just annoying cause it looks odd to have one fingernail down to the quick and all the rest of them longer.
    But that isn't right-it needs to be under a doctors care! Glad you are going!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information