Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dry hair sucks!

Default Dry hair sucks!

My hair hates the heat which sucks because I love lying on the beach in the sun and going in the ocean- and apparently the salt water wreaks havoc on hair too. The top layer of my hair is dry, when I feel my hair from underneath it feels great. I even just got my below the breast length hair cut to my shoulders, to get rid of split ends but its still dry. Why is the top suffering only? And what can be done about dry hair? Any good shampoos, anyone suffer from the same problem and fixed it? Thanks!

I used Infusium 23 leave in conditioner twice a day when my hair was torched from color. Really helped.

I also used Thicker Fuller Hair deep conditioner by leaving it in overnight and rinsing it out in the morning.

My hairdresser just gave me Biolage conditioner (rinse out type) - pricey but seems to really "heal" hair and smooth it.

I wonder if there's an essential oil that you can put in your hair to protect it from the abuse before you head to the beach?

If you coat your hair with conditioner before lying in the sun your hair will love it. Would be like a deep conditioning treatment, and would protect it a bit when you go in the water too. You probably won't want to do that everytime of course, but you could maybe just do the ends. If you put it into a loose ponytail when lying on the beach or swimming it would probably help a bit as well - less surface area would be exposed to the elements. Combining the two - leave-in conditioner in a ponytail - would probably be best.

Oh, and I'm totally jealous of you now.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I agree about the biolage conditioner. (pretty good stuff)
    Wear a hat with conditioning treatment on your hair whilst in the sun. Works wonders. If you swim in the sea, rinse your hair with cool water the moment you get out. (same with chlorine in pools)

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung View Post
    Why is the top suffering only? And what can be done about dry hair? Any good shampoos, anyone suffer from the same problem and fixed it? Thanks!
    The top is suffering because it's the part which gets the most sunlight, wear and tear. We usually brush the top part first, scrub it first in the shower, and basically treat it like crap. But have no fear! Products are here!

Run out and pay for Kerastase Soleil Creme Richesse conditioner (small red tub). It's worth the 35-45 bucks, makes your hair feel like silk, and strengthens the hell out of it. Their Soleil shampoo is also good, but the conditioner is where your money needs to go.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    My hairdresser said to also stop having hot showers- now by hot I mean HOT. Its summer so I'm even more nuts for still having them. Anyway, I went to the beach today, the ocean killed my hair as usual, wasn't helped by the sunbaking I did afterwards; I came home and drenched it in cold water- it feels soft again now.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Run out and pay for Kerastase Soleil Creme Richesse conditioner (small red tub). It's worth the 35-45 bucks, makes your hair feel like silk, and strengthens the hell out of it. Their Soleil shampoo is also good, but the conditioner is where your money needs to go.
    Dayum! I was going to post about this earlier today. My daughter got me a 5 oz. tub of this off of eBay for my birthday, and it came in the mail today. I left it on for an hour with a plastic bag and a turbie twist. Then I let my hair air dry.

Ahhhhh.... I love the stuff. I think I will keep splurging on it once this tub is gone. The cost was $29 plus shipping by the way, some lady in South Carolina.

Be sure to buy the right Kerastase conditioner for your particular hair. This one is good for me. I had another one a few months ago, and it was ok, but this is better.

I have such oily hair that I hardly ever use conditioner. I wish we got mail on Saturday. Sucks that they only deliver on weekdays.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Forgot to say, it was actually UPS. Does Canada have UPS?

I think so, but FedEx is more common.

Sorry to but in on your thread with my hair problems but I had a colour two days ago from a different salon. (one I never go to but thought I would give it a try) I very specifically asked her to NOT give me white/platinum streaks. And what the fuck did she give me? Yep the fucking bitch. (I am so pissed right now sorry for the language)

It is now so fucking dry and breaking it isn't funny. I don't know whether to complain or not or go to my regular salon and have them fix it or fork out for more treatments. I could kill someone right now I am so angry.

Hit By Ban Bus!

That happened to me (the mentioned 911 treatment that took 5 hours). I ended up eating the cost. One of the reasons was that the salon I went to was in Chinatown near downtown San Francisco. Most of the people didn't speak English and they insisted I pay. The 911 treatment cost plenty but was well worth it. It literally saved my hair, which was very long at the time.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Oh, and I'm totally jealous of you now.
    I can't be of any help here, since I can only wish to have a beach to fry my hair at (*cries*), so I'll limit myself to seconding the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    That happened to me (the mentioned 911 treatment that took 5 hours). I ended up eating the cost. One of the reasons was that the salon I went to was in Chinatown near downtown San Francisco. Most of the people didn't speak English and they insisted I pay. The 911 treatment cost plenty but was well worth it. It literally saved my hair, which was very long at the time.
    Mira, tell me more about this 911 treatment? What does it do, approx costs (my hair is classed as extra long) and where could I perhaps get it done?

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
    Sorry to but in on your thread with my hair problems but I had a colour two days ago from a different salon. (one I never go to but thought I would give it a try) I very specifically asked her to NOT give me white/platinum streaks. And what the fuck did she give me? Yep the fucking bitch. (I am so pissed right now sorry for the language)

It is now so fucking dry and breaking it isn't funny. I don't know whether to complain or not or go to my regular salon and have them fix it or fork out for more treatments. I could kill someone right now I am so angry.
    What a cunt! Surely theres a law against that, since you specifically said NO streaks, and now you have to put up with the dry/breaking hair. You should go back and complain your butt off and demand a refund. My mum did that when some idiot gave her the worst perm you'll ever see.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information