Thread: Lead in lipstick!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Default Lead in lipstick!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!

Lipsticks contain lead, consumer group says
    By Karen JacobsThu Oct 11, 6:59 PM ET

Lipsticks tested by a U.S. consumer rights group found that more than half contained lead and some popular brands including Cover Girl, L'Oreal and Christian Dior had more lead than others, the group said on Thursday.
    The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics said tests on 33 brand-name red lipsticks by the Bodycote Testing Group in Santa Fe Spring, California, found that 61 percent had detectable lead levels of 0.03 to 0.65 parts per million (ppm).
    Lipstick, like candy, is ingested. The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, a coalition of public health, environmental and women's groups, said the FDA has not set a limit for lead in lipstick.
    One-third of the lipsticks tested contained an amount of lead that exceeded the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's 0.1 ppm limit for lead in candy -- a standard established to protect children from ingesting lead, the group said. Thirty-nine percent of the lipsticks tested had no discernible lead, it said.
    "It's critical that manufacturers reformulate their product," said Stacy Malkan, a co-founder of the coalition. "It's possible to make lipsticks without lead, and all companies should be doing that."
    Lead can cause learning, language and behavioral problems such as reduced school performance and increased aggression. Pregnant women and young children are particularly vulnerable to lead exposure, the group said in its statement. Lead has also been linked to infertility and miscarriage, it said.
    Procter & Gamble Co's makes Cover Girl brand and France's L'Oreal is one of the largest cosmetic companies in the world.
    Over the last three months, more than 20 million toys made in China have been recalled, mostly due to the use of lead paint.
    The coalition said that some less expensive brands it had tested, such as Revlon, had no detectable levels of lead, while the more expensive Dior Addict brand had higher levels than some other brands.
    The Cosmetic, Toiletry and Fragrance Association trade group said in a statement that lead was a naturally occurring element that was not intentionally added to cosmetics.
    The FDA has "set strict limits for lead levels allowed in the colors used in lipsticks, and actually analyze most of these to ensure they are followed," the association's statement said. "The products identified in the (CSC) report meet these standards."
    L'Oreal's U.S. arm said its products are reviewed and tested by a safety team that includes toxicologists, pharmacists and doctors.
    "All the brands of the L'Oreal Group are in full compliance with FDA regulations" as well as safety requirements in international markets, L'Oreal USA said in a statement.
    P&G said in a statement that the quantity of lead a consumer might be exposed to from its lip product "is hundreds of times less than the amount that she would get from eating, breathing and drinking water."
    "Lead builds up in the body over time and lead-containing lipstick applied several times a day, every day, can add up to significant exposure levels. The latest studies show there is no safe level of lead exposure," said Dr. Mark Mitchell, president of the Connecticut Coalition for Environmental Justice.

Default Notice! your lipstick might have lead in it!

I know some people here most likely wear lipstick. Well considering other peoples health, like always, I decided to post this here to give you guys a heads up.

61% of lipstick in the United States has been tested as toxic with lead.

Brands included are Cover Girl, L'Oreal and Christian Dior.

The FDA says te lipsticks meet standards set by lipstick companies; they have strict limits for led levels allowed in colored lip sticks.
    To test your lipstick for lead, put your lipstick in your hand, and use a 14/24 carat gold ring to scratch on the lipstick. If the lipstick turns black, it has lead in it, and you are to throw it out. However if your lipstick is already black....well I don't know what to tell you about that. =\

This was just ran as a story on the local news, and of course, I can't let friends (or family, I sent it to some family aswell) get sick from possibly not knowing. So be careful next time you wanna look pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    The coalition said that some less expensive brands it had tested, such as Revlon, had no detectable levels of lead, while the more expensive Dior Addict brand had higher levels than some other brands.
    DAMN. I'm off to buy some Revlon lipliner, since that is what I use in combination with gloss. I'd assume the pigment in lipliner has the same issues (or lack of issues, as is hopefully the case with Revlon).

Interesting that the more expensive brands had the most toxicity.

Anyone know of other brands of cosmetics that follow the same standards of Tom of Maine's, for example? Ideally not something tested on animals?

This reminds me of a story of a student whose dad was a chemist. The chemist paid one of his coworkers to develop a line of nail polishes or lipsticks (I forget) for his daughter. I don't think there was anything spectacular about the cosmetics save for some funky colors and the fact that the student had a business (that was the hook of the story - young entrepreneurs). The daughter sold them over the 'net. My question is this: I wonder how expensive it is to find a lab that would blend something for you according to your health limits (as in, could you please make this without things that will kill me?). For example, I use a compounding pharmacy for some of the hormones I need instead of buying them pre-fabricated because I get better quality that way. I wonder what's possible with lipsticks, etc.
    Last edited by ariesallover; October 13th, 2007 at 06:40 PM. Reason: The need to know, man, the need to know.

Crap! I've been wearing L'Oreal for years

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    Anyone know of other brands of cosmetics that follow the same standards of Tom of Maine's, for example? Ideally not something tested on animals?
    I started using Burt's Bees lip shimmers. They're 100% natural ingredients, not tested on animals, nice colors. Plus, I like the way they make my lips tingle a little.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I don't wear it all the time but I LOVE some Christian Dior lipsticks. They have gorgeous colours and pigmentation. *sigh*

Aveda makes some nice lipsticks now, too, and they are all natural.

I'm so tired of how "we" are poisoning ourselves, our planet. Grr.

Just my rant...

Well, I tried the test with several of my Dior lipsticks and nada. Either the test is wrong or there is no lead in the lipstick.

To test your lipstick for lead, put your lipstick in your hand, and use a 14/24 carat gold ring to scratch on the lipstick. If the lipstick turns black, it has lead in it, and you are to throw it out.
    Snopes says nuh-uh.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Lead in Lipstick
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

^ Beat me to it, I was just about to post the Snopes article

So all this is bogus?

^^ I think it's just the test that's false. The lead in lipstick part is real, I think.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

It basically says that metals leave marks regardless of what product it is rubbed against, it isn't an indicator of lead. It also says that the "shocking" news reports about lead exceeding the FDA requirements and being dangerous are somewhat misleading b/c a.) there currently aren't FDA requirements specifically for lipstick and b.) they are using the levels for candy, specifically what is safe for a child to consume (both of those facts are in the original article). Snopes goes on to say that an adult tolerance would be higher than that number, and you aren't actually eating an entire tube of lipstick, unlike some people who may be tempted with entire bags of candy So, it isn't as deathly dangerous as the article is suggesting.

Thread Information