Thread: Help me grow my hair out!

Default Help me grow my hair out!

I have black wavy/curly hair. I've been wearing it short since I was fifteen. Basically, for fifteen years, I've been sporting the Amelie haircut, except it's more Amelie crossed with Audrey Hepburn's hair in Roman Holiday.

I keep trying to grow my hair out (actually succeeded for two years in college, where my hair was nearly to my arse), and I just can't seem to do it. Part of the problem is that I have A LOT of hair, and can't afford to get it done professionally. The times I have saved up my money and had it done professionally, they completely messed up my hair--it's like nobody knows how to style curly hair, and they always insist on straightening it.

The cycle goes: I try to grow my hair out, but it's unruly and crazy and grows out instead of down....so I get frustrated, cut it to a pixie cut, then grow that out and cut it in the Roman Holiday/Amelie style.

Strangely, people think I look prettier with short hair, but I'd like to have long hair for a while. I'm really really sick of my hair being like this. Help me grow my hair out!

Lily, perseverance is the key! I don't have curly hair, I have really fine wavy hair, but I've been growing it out for a while now and I'm just sticking with it. It'll go through awkward phases while you grow it but ultimately it'll be nice.

Perhaps you could find some good product to kind of tame your curls while it's at the awkward stages? I kind of have the opposite problem in that I have to volumise my hair to buggery just to get it to sit properly! We're never happy, eh? I work with a couple of girls with really curly hair, and they both use some kind of serum to sort of define their curls and make them look a bit less volumised.

Good luck!
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    The cycle goes: I try to grow my hair out, but it's unruly and crazy and grows out instead of down....so I get frustrated, cut it to a pixie cut, then grow that out and cut it in the Roman Holiday/Amelie style.
    The only other person I've ever heard say "their hair grows out instead of down" is me! I know exactly what you are talking about.

I'm guessing that you have bangs (fringe)? For the last year I've been growing out my layers. It was sort of a pageboy/long shag. My hair is curly and wavy and only a that perfect weather day can I wear it in full curls and waves with lots of product.

My trick was to get frequent trims. Let it grow longer and trim it. Let the bangs grow longer on the sides. I have a ton of hair too. The thing for me is that my hair can't be one length without it being at my shoulders. Otherwise I look like a flying saucer. You have to be patient. When longer, a ponytail with bangs is cute as you let it keep growing.

Take a look at this site and click on Products. Deva makes great hair products designed for curls.

NaturallyCurly.com -- Where Curls Come to Life

Lily-the best thing would be to find a decent hairdresser. One that won 't ruin all your hard work. Anyone you see with great looking longer hair,ask her hair stylists name. I have straight as a board hair & it is the same thing-very hard to find someone who knows what they are doing!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gold Member

Lily,

I have curly hair and it takes years to get any length on it.

I know totally the awkward stage you have with hair when it gorws and unfortunately it is only time that fixes it.

If when you see a woman with hair similar to yours that looks great, ask hger where she gets it cut and make an appontment.

Unfortunately hardly any hairdressers know how to cut curly hair, especially your hair type so just persevere and when you find one be loyal. I have been going to my hairdresser for 13 years.

The good news with curly hair is when you get the lenght, you won't need to get it cut as often. I only get my hair cut a maximum of twice a year.

All right, so my plan is to throw away my haircutting scissors, and when my hair gets unruly and weird, put in some Frizz-Ease and wear red lipstick (I've noticed that red lipstick can make anything look glamorous) and put it back in a ponytail when it's long enough, and then maybe by next June I can make an appointment with a hairdresser.

I give you all permission to SMACK ME if I cut my hair between now and then. I am determined to grow it out. It will look so pretty.

YEAAA!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I feel for you! I have your same hair texture. I grew out my hair from a pixie Renee Zelwegger cut, into long, past my shoulders hair, but it took YEARS. They key is regular haircuts, especially in the beginning, bc growing out a pixie is HELL, you get weird pokey hairs that look crazy. So go get a cheap haircut / shaping every few weeks, its worth it. Focus on getting all the hair the same length first. Make regular use of bobby pins and headbands through the akward stages.

Here's how I did it:
    1) From the pixie, I just grew out the front into a chin length bob that was stacked in the back starting at the bottom of my head, like this:

2) Then gradually grow out the back into something like this:

3) Then you get to do time in the soccer mom akward phase:

4) I liked this cut, it was much better:

5) Eventually you get here:

And from there you can just grow it out! I'll find some pics of me later through the stages if you want.

Geeez I hated growing my hair out. My sympathies!! Take hair vitamins, I took prenatal vitamins and they really helped my hair grow much faster.

My hair is like that second picture but the back is longer, it's right above my shoulders.
    Lily, make sure you keep getting trims every 6 weeks or your hair is going to be even harder to manage. I have the same type hair as you and if you get split ends it will grow "out" even more and will just look like a wirey mess, that will be really hard to deal with.

I had this problem a while back and went and chopped all my hair off. I have very healthy, shiney hair and I thought it the texture of my hair was changing with age, it wasn't, I had not been getting routine trims and I had split ends that were causing my hair to poof even more.

^I don't have the money to get my hair professionally trimmed every six months, so that could easily be the problem.

My hair always looks like this:

And when it gets a little longer than that, it just starts to look like a mess!

You can trim it yourself. If you aren't going to nip just the ends off every six weeks or so, then I wouldn't even bother growing it out, because it's going to look bad if you don't keep the ends cut off.
    It's annoying as hell to have curls, I like them in one sense, but it's so hard to have a style that actually looks styled. lol

^It's true!

I do make sure to trim my split ends. And use lots of conditioner!!!!

You dont have to go to a full-on salon, you can just zip into a chain salon or a barber shop, it shouldn't be more than $20. It'd be worth it until you can at least get a mini-ponytail going in the back. You might even try looking into local beauty schools, they'll often do the trim / cut for next to nothing.

And once you get it grown out a bit, you could be a hair model at a beauty school and get some trimming done for free. I did this for awhile and it was great. Free cut + color. You just have to be firm that you dont want them to chop it all off, because they will try to convince you to do so.

I was so excited when I had enough hair to pull back, even a little bit.

Short of that, use mouse to scrunch your hair and a curling iron to manage the curly / wavy texture. Or a flat iron works great too. Headbands saved my life during this period.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    I have black wavy/curly hair. I've been wearing it short since I was fifteen. Basically, for fifteen years, I've been sporting the Amelie haircut, except it's more Amelie crossed with Audrey Hepburn's hair in Roman Holiday.

I keep trying to grow my hair out (actually succeeded for two years in college, where my hair was nearly to my arse), and I just can't seem to do it. Part of the problem is that I have A LOT of hair, and can't afford to get it done professionally. The times I have saved up my money and had it done professionally, they completely messed up my hair--it's like nobody knows how to style curly hair, and they always insist on straightening it.

Strangely, people think I look prettier with short hair, but I'd like to have long hair for a while. I'm really really sick of my hair being like this. Help me grow my hair out!

Check out this site; it is amazing- I've been a member for almost four years:

The Long Hair Community
    Coffee is my happy drug

Thread Information