Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box color?

Default Box color?

What brands of box color do you reccommend for your hair? I know that salon colors are healthier for your hair, and cause less damage.

Currently, I color my own hair because it's short and just one shade. I'm using Garnier, but am considering switching to henna, since I color my hair every 3 weeks. What do you reccommend?

Hit By Ban Bus!

If you use box color, be sure to use a KICKASS conditioner.

I use L'Oreal Excellence Creme, with 20 developer. I just couldn't justify $150 every time I went to this salon I liked. I'm considering going back to the shampoo and conditioner they used though. My hair was in great shape then. But the L'Oreal is fine, and like I was telling SVZ a few days ago, the L'Oreal conditioner is decent - it's the one that comes in the box color at the grocery or drug store. (Different than beauty supply kind.) I wouldn't use the grocery or drug store box color myself, only the beauty supply kind.

i use Revlon color silk. its inexpensive and looks good. i'm cheap and i have hair that isnt worth Salon color LOL

i agree about the conditioner. I use Enjoy conditioner.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I've always wondered too about Henna.
    It may not be as innocent as I thought.
    Wiki says:
    Using a plant-based color, specifically henna, can cause problems later when trying to do a permanent wave (perm) and other permanent hair color. Discoloration can occur on hair that has been previously tinted with henna; hennaed hair typically cannot be curled. Breakage could also be an issue. Often, henna leaves hair unable to receive other chemical services within a salon.

What will henna do to your hair?

Compound henna does NOT play nice with commercial hair dye and other chemical residue in hair. People who have itching, blisters, or serious allergic reactions to para-phenylenediamine hair dyes often want to change over to henna hair dyes.
    Compound henna often reacts badly with synthetic hair dyes and other chemical hair products! If you use compound henna soon after you have done your hair with para-phenylenediamine dyes, your hair may be brittle, trashed, and may turn frog butt green or offshore sewage outlet black. Compound hennas have metallic salts which react disasterously with the ammonia in synthetic hair dye. Problem is ... many pre-mixed henna powders do NOT have these ingredients listed!

Want to learn more about compound henna? Go here, bottom of the page.

The Henna Page - The most complete henna information resource!

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I buy my hair color at Sally's...my hair is really short, so I only need one bottle of color and a bottle of developer lasts me forever. The hair color itself is like 4 bucks. We have used box color from Wal Mart and I think we used the Loreal, too. Is that the one with the conditioner in the blue tube? That conditioner is great! I only use it about twice a month, though...my hair is really short and I cut it about every 3 weeks. I have not used a blow dryer in YEARS so just towel dry it and I don't have any damage to my hair...I color it about every 4-6 weeks...

ETA actually we just did my daughters hair this week. Colored it dark brown with red and blonde highlights. It cost us less than 30 bucks for everything to do it with as opposed to 80-100 at a salon. Thankfully, it turned out pretty well considering I have never in my life "foiled" hair!
    Last edited by sweetrebel; September 29th, 2007 at 11:29 AM.

Hit By Ban Bus!

"That's pretty good, congratulations! Lots of hard work but good bonding time as well as good results. And yes, there's something about that little conditioner in L'Oreal's box color that really works.

I tried to use Henna once. My hair was quite long, though, so it didn't work for me, and it was horrible waiting for it to cycle out of my hair so that I could use regular color on it. I wouldn't recommend henna unless your hair is very short and you can get rid of the hair fairly quickly if you need or want to.

I was so relieved that it turned out so well. It wasn't quite what we were striving for, but it looked good! We laughed the whole time, because I couldn't remember the order of the colors. It was fun

the title of this thread is seriously misleading.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I was just going to ask if anyone else saw "Box color" and thought something way off-base.

^^I agree. Or maybe we just have very dirty minds, Grimm.

^^ omg i am so glad it wasn't just me thinking filthy.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I've got to tell you: go to Sally Beauty Supply and purchase the ION color. It is gentle and fabulous. Their developer is sold seperately and one small bottle is enough for 3-4 applications. 1 tube per application. My hair has never been so healthy and I use a 30 to 40 volume developer for lightening. Developers go from 20-40 vol. depending on whether you are depositing or lifting color. Even my stylist admits she would do better. i can add my own highlights or lowlights and make subtle color changes depending on the season. It is better than Framesi and other salon brands I've used.

Makeup Alley also agrees with this based on the reviews. There are also tremendous reviews for the Feria conditioner which they sell in a tube (by L'Oreal). Usually it comes with the color in a box but they sell it seprately.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^What color is your hair, crumpet? I'm interested in trying this ION color.

And how do yall know what # developer to get? My hair is naturally very dark brown, but I like to lighten a couple shades. Can someone suggest something? I don't want to end up with orange or maroon hair, both of which I've done to myself at home before.

Gold Member

Something else with henna, if you're using any products that have henna in them it will stain your clothes. My sister used to use Paul Mitchell's shine gel and she started getting stains on her shirts. I had some and dropped a teeny little bit on a shirt and 2 years later it's still there.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I've always wondered too about Henna.
    It may not be as innocent as I thought.
    Wiki says:
    Using a plant-based color, specifically henna, can cause problems later when trying to do a permanent wave (perm) and other permanent hair color. Discoloration can occur on hair that has been previously tinted with henna; hennaed hair typically cannot be curled. Breakage could also be an issue. Often, henna leaves hair unable to receive other chemical services within a salon.
    Thanks,Sprynkles.

The Ion sounds interesting. I'll look into that...
    I've been using Garnier coloring for a the past 3-4 times on my short brown hair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information