Thread: Weird leg hair

Unhappy Weird leg hair

Let me just say firstly, I am not enjoying growing up. I'm only 20 and the changes in my body are a pain in the ass already. The only good news is that I have a younger looking face- I went to a new doctor the other day and she asked if I was under 16. 'NO!' I said. Well you're ageing gracefully then, she says. A comment like that would really annoy me before, but everyone goes on about how incredible my mum looks for a 48 year old and she looked the same as me when she was 20, so i'm glad I've got those genes. (My username is ringing true then ) But anyway.... I used to have baby hair on my legs, now my lower legs are a weird combination of baby hair and thicker brown hair. I had a blood test done and I'm worrying myself all weekend worrying about the results because I have to wait about a week for that. I fear its a hormone problem I've also noticed an increase in baby hair on my jaw. I told the doctor that I go on the internet and look up these things and read it could be cancer, tumours, all different kinds of illnesses and the doctor went 'NEVER DO THAT'. Well I ALWAYS do that. Bad habits die hard.

So, does anyone have COMBINATION hair on their legs? Its a pain in the ass because wax and epilators do a poor job of grabbing the finer hair, and i think- if all the hair was this fine and soft and barely noticeable, i'd never have to touch it. I was a late developer as it is so its possible the changing hair is still late puberty, but I worry its a hormone problem because its become a mixture like this, and the hormones are converting the baby hair to thicker hair... or is this completely normal? Any other ladies have both baby blonde hair and a darker, thicker, or even a thinner,darker hair on their legs? This is just lower legs, i dont touch my thighs but theres that ugly feeling that hormones will convert that too.
    Last edited by DitaPage*; September 23rd, 2007 at 12:35 AM.

Well if its odd, I have it too! I don't think it is-I decided wearing jeans can chaff away some hair-leaving it baby fine in some areas. I get mine waxed & all of it comes right off. No biggie.I ,too, caution you about driving yourself nuts looking at scary stuff on the internet. THAT is your biggest threat to yourself! It can cause stress & worry leading to premature wrinkling. So stop it-you are torturing yourself more than your worst enemy could!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Gold Member

SY, it's probabaly cool and not a problem. I think lots of people have those kinds of changes in late teens/twenties. Hopefully your test resulkts will show that (that's it's normal I mean.)

I have darker thicker hair on my lower legs and baby fine hair from my knees upwards. Been this way for ages and I'm only 21.
    Nothing to worry about I'm sure.

I think if I was a cat I'd be tortoiseshell, I'm all sorts of colours! Light blonde on my arms and front of my legs, but dark (almost black) hair on my lower legs and on the backs! I am a brunette girl. I also get these annoying black hairs poking out my neck (gross I know!) I just pluck those ones out and pretend they never happen

Everyone's got body hair hang-ups and weirdness, it's just some go to more extreme lengths to get rid of it..I'd die if my epilator broke!

I have a very weird hair pattern on my legs. First off I only have patches of hair in certain areas like on the inside of my shin and my knees. Hair doesn't grow on the other parts of my calves except for very faintly. Also there's almost no hair on my upper legs, it look just like peach fuzz.

Side note, my mom never shaved her legs and she still has nothing. She's Hispanic so that may be why. She always told me not to shave my legs because the hair will just fall out, well I didn't listen so now I have to shave the patches. Incidentally, in the winter most of my leg hair falls out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I wouldn't worry about this. Hate to tell ya but it only gets worse. You will eventually notice wild black hairs on your face and when you turn 30 your hormones will change again and you'll sweat more. Being a woman is a complicated beauty.
    Proud Mama....now where's my glass of wine?

^Thanks for the cold hard truth
    I sound so stupid asking about this stuff but the only woman in my family is my mother and she says shes 'hairless' although her sally hansen waxing kits are all over the place so i assume she's lying. She doesn't talk about this stuff though. Like when I got my period for the first time she didn't want to know about it. She's always telling people 'I'm so glad i only had the ONE daughter'. (I've got 4 brothers)

Don;t want to diss your mum but that doesn't sound like a nice way to grow up!!

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung View Post
    ^Thanks for the cold hard truth
    I sound so stupid asking about this stuff but the only woman in my family is my mother and she says shes 'hairless' although her sally hansen waxing kits are all over the place so i assume she's lying. She doesn't talk about this stuff though. Like when I got my period for the first time she didn't want to know about it. She's always telling people 'I'm so glad i only had the ONE daughter'. (I've got 4 brothers)
    How nice. Not. Don't let her make you feel bad about being a woman!!!

And as for the hair, that's normal. I have 14629 different types of hair all over the place.

SYP, I'm telling you this, because I like you: You worry too much. Looking up diseases on the internet is forbidden from now on.

Even if you aren't a full blown hypochondriac now, this gets only worse with age. And as I told you before, you also have cyberchondria, which is the 21st century in a nutshell. Anyway, don't worry about these things, enjoy your youth!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Even if you aren't a full blown hypochondriac now, this gets only worse with age. And as I told you before, you also have cyberchondria, which is the 21st century in a nutshell. Anyway, don't worry about these things, enjoy your youth!
    ^^^ ITA! I've been guilty of this too - it can make you quite neurotic.

Come here instead

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    How nice. Not. Don't let her make you feel bad about being a woman!!!

And as for the hair, that's normal. I have 14629 different types of hair all over the place.

SYP, I'm telling you this, because I like you: You worry too much. Looking up diseases on the internet is forbidden from now on.

I've promised myself no more looking up health on the internet. You know even before the internet, i was obsessed with going through my parents medical books- i was a hypochondriac when I was a young kid too. I convicned myself i had all the symptoms of soemthing and i spent a month worrying about it. When i finally told my Dad he said 'if you had THAT, you wouldn't even be standing up right now'. So i know I have a problem!

Chilly, thankyou darling you made me feel better this morning!

Thread Information