Thread: Eyes can't resist beautiful people

Default Eyes can't resist beautiful people

Eyes Can't Resist Beautiful People - Yahoo! News

Whether we’re looking for someone to date or sizing up a potential rival, our eyes irresistibly lock on to good-looking people, a new study finds.

Participants, all heterosexual men and women, fixated on highly attractive people within the first half-second of seeing them. Single folks ogled the opposite sex, of course. But those in committed relationships more often eyed beautiful people of the same sex.

“If we’re interested in finding a mate, our attention gets quickly and automatically stuck on attractive members of the opposite sex,” explained study leader Jon Maner of the University of Florida. “If we’re jealous and worried about our partner cheating on us, attention gets quickly and automatically stuck on attractive people of our own sex because they are our competitors.”

Maner's research is based on the idea that evolution has primed our brains to subconsciously latch on to signs of physical attractiveness in others, both to find a mate and to guard him or her from potential competitors.

But this evolutionary trick is not without potential romantic peril. Even some people in committed relationships had trouble tearing their eyes away from attractive members of the opposite sex. On the other hand, fixating on attractive people of the same sex as rivals could contribute to feelings of insecurity.

Maner found that men prone to jealousy kept a close eye on attractive potential rivals.

“When it comes to concerns about infidelity, men are very attentive to highly attractive guys because presumably their wives or girlfriends may be too,” he said.

Maner's experiments, which flashed pictures of attractive men and women and average-looking men and women in front of participants and measured the time it took to shift their attention away from the image, surprisingly showed little difference between the sexes.

“Women paid just as much attention to men as men did to women,” Maner said.

The study is detailed in the September issue of the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

This is a STUDY? What, people didn't know this already?

Gold Member

Marry us ugly ladies ok? No-one will stare at us or steal ius away.

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung View Post
    This is a STUDY? What, people didn't know this already?
    good point.

Gold Member

Babies stare at good looking people too. The conclusions they are making about their study seems a little far fetched.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

I wonder how much "fundage" they got for this study. I could come up with something, just give me a chance....
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

It never occured to me that fixating on attractive people of the same sex as rivals could contribute to feelings of insecurity...I always just thought I had bisexual tendencies

i think tons of girls are hot or attractive. I don't think it has anything to do with jealousy or bisexuality, to me its just natural to look at an attractive person of the same sex. I think that some women DO check out other women because they want to know "how they measure up" or because they are jealous, but for me, its just about acknowledging the attractiveness of another woman. I am secure enough in myself to not hate on attractive women...which cannot be said for many people.

Thread Information