Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beauty tips from a Hollywood makeup artist

Default Beauty tips from a Hollywood makeup artist

Meeting Jan Thomas for his beauty tips this week was an absolute delight not only because he is a gorgeous looking man with charm and charisma but because he happily gave me his beauty tips and a couple of celebrity secrets.

He works with the likes of Sharon Stone, Cameron Diaz, and Christina Applegate. He also has his own fashion and make-up show in his home country of Norway.

Jan is in Australia traveling around Myer stores as chief make-up artist for Max Factor. (You may have seen him in store and know what I’m already talking about).

WHAT IS YOUR BEST BEAUTY TIP?
    Perfectly groomed eyebrows. Eyebrows are so important as they frame the eye. They’re often underestimated. When they are perfect they save so much time. Women can be lazy when it comes to their brows. They should never use a black or brown with red tones. It should be ash brown or ash blonde. And the eyebrow pencil should be an oil-based product.

WHAT IS THE TREND IN EYEBROWS?
    For next year they are fuller and thicker like Linda Evanglista. Madonna is an eyebrow freak. She has Raymond look after her brows. He is known as the eyebrow king. And Sharon Stone is obsessed with hers.

WHAT SHOULD WOMEN SPEND TIME ON WHEN DOING THEIR MAKE-UP?
    Women need to pay attention to detail. To their eyebrows, lashes and lips to frame their face. I find that Australian women are lazy when it comes to their eyebrows. They should be shaped, bleached and coloured.

DO YOU RECOMMEND BLEACHING THE BROWS?
    Yes, and then they should be coloured to suit the face. Celebrities in L.A bleach their body hair too.

WHERE AND WHY?
    They bleach everywhere because they wear tight see-through dresses.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF BROWN EYESHADOW?
    I love brown eye shadow. It’s going to be very big next season with all the nudes and soft blues and soft grays. I use a lot of browns in my work. Next season sees the super nudes. Beautiful flawless looking skin that is dewy with semi-matt shine. The shine, sparkle, greasy look is gone.

WHAT IS THE MUST HAVE PRODUCT FOR THIS NEW SEASON?
    Bronzing powder. This season is the bronze goddess look. Hot and sun-kissed it was a huge hit in Europe with Sharon Stone, Versace with Kate Moss and Giselle. Everyone looks good regardless of age. The lips are really glossy and see-through. Max Factor has two colours in their bronzers that are perfect. Not too orange.

One on one with Max Factor’s Chief Make-up Artist Jan Thomas | Herald Sun Carolyn Palliardi Blog

smf

i dont do anything to my eyebrows and their kinda thick ,nothin real bad though

Hit By Ban Bus!

I can shape people's brows to perfection, respecting their fulness in proportion to one's face (everyone comes to me when it comes to shaping/fixing). Mine are unfortunately kind of scattered and filled with flaws, and if I try to get them thicker, they just look bushy because I have a natuarally big arch. So I have to keep them thin, respect the arch and fill them in or else I'll just look like Samara. :/

Anybody wanting to take this man's advice and bleach their brows, should probably go to a pro. Accidentally getting bleach in your eyes could very easily blind you!
    Last edited by Laurent; September 17th, 2007 at 12:02 PM.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

brows are important
    i hate the dreaded raninbow brows or the too skinny overplucked ones
    ick.

No, I once walked in on an old flatmate shaving her eyebrows ( I thought she was just an over-plucker) with a disposable razor.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Gold Member

Thanks for postring this SY, I loove beauty tips.

SVZ

They mispelled Evangelista

I have quite thick brows and I have to agree with this guy -- the one thing that really gives a face a "finished" look aside from lipstick and mascara is brows. I spend a fair amount of time, and money on occasion, making sure my brows are properly shaped and coloured. I LOVE Christian Dior's blonde eye pencil -- it's the perfect ash blonde but it goes on dark enough. My sister is a brunette and it's perfect for her, too. I have an eyebrow-shaping brush from Lise Watier and it's the best $15 I ever spent.

I don't understand. We all should bleach our brows even if we have dark hair? Bullshit. And brown eye-shadow makes me look like a decomposed zombie. This one-size fits all crap makes me think he's a horrible make-up artist.

P.S. all the bronzing shit is so yesterday.

I would never bleach my brows. I use bronzing powder occasionally, but always with a light hand.

Eyebrows are important, I'll agree. I've been trying to get mine shaped nice lately.

Ok, and I am and will NOT ever bleach my eyebrows. There really is too much of a risk playing with that bleach one might accidentally get it in their eyes and become blind.

Oh, and I do admire a little bit Bronzer.

I'm sorry - but there was beauty advice here?

Is this from a 1991 cosmo mag?
    Bah.

Reads almost like an Onion spoof.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I don't understand. We all should bleach our brows even if we have dark hair? Bullshit. And brown eye-shadow makes me look like a decomposed zombie. This one-size fits all crap makes me think he's a horrible make-up artist.

P.S. all the bronzing shit is so yesterday.
    He says that you should bleach your eyebrows if you've got light hair i think. Christina Applegate is a natural brunette, but has light eyebrows- obviously they are dyed. And i suppose the same rule applies to blondes who go darker but still have light eyebrows.

My eyebrows are a light brown- i hate it, because they look weird with my dyed darker hair. I dont want to be messing with eyebrow hair bleach though.

"It should be ash brown or ash blonde."

What if you have jet black eyebrows?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information