Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Botox, Restylane, Juvederm

smf

Default Botox, Restylane, Juvederm

does anyone know how much these procedures costs ,ive hear around 300/600 dollars ,but what im confussed about is it just for each injection .say if they put three in certain areas of face it would be 300 times 3 ,i dont need it quite yet but in a couple years im defiantly trying it

I think (not sure as I have never researched it,just heard from people) that the $$ is for the vial (?) of Botox, or Restalyne and then they use that on the face in one session. So I think you have to spend the $300 or whatever each time you go.

smf

^ ok thanks for responding

Bronze Member

Dear smf, here's the deal.

Being injected once (each time the needle touches you, or even an entire session) does usually *not* cost the equivalent of the cost of one vial of botox or of one syringue of filler, but usually less. The specific amount of money you spend each time you go depends on how much of the vial (the tiny bottle) of botox or how much of the filler in the syringue (Juvederm, Restylane) was used on you and of what method of charging the patients and making them get those products a specific doc has chosen to use with his/her clients.

The prices of one vial of Botox and one syringue of a filler usually costs between 300/600 dollars.
    The prices vary depending on the country, the laboratory/doctor/clinic you are buying it from and the actual product. See, Botox is not even just "Botox". It's botulinum A toxin and there are other brands of it. Botox from Allergan was the original product and that's why we all say "botox", but you actually find the same product in Europe as Dyslor, Dysport, etc. (just different dilutions of it, but docs know that and adjust the dose, so the effects are the same of Botox). There are other brands and names for botulinum A toxin but the ones whichs safety is proven, etc. etc. are Botox from Allergan and Dyslor. A vial of it costs around 400 dollars. The thing is, it is very unlikely that a woman would need an entire vial. Especially if she is not too old and does not have too many or too deep wrinkes already. Botox is administered in quantities called "units". Depending on the area of the face and how bad the wrinkle is, the doc applies more or less units and to one, two or more points. If you are rather young or start young, you will use, say, 45 units total, while an older woman might need 80, 100, etc.
    Same with fillers. They come usually in syringues of 1 ml, which is usually enough for anyone. Few women need two or three in the face, and many need only half of the syringue content, it really depends on what you are filling (say, if you are filling cheeks, you need a lot more than if you are using a tiny bit on your lips or to fill only the creases around the mouth). They cost anywhere from 150 to 500 dollars, really depends on the filler's manufacturer. Restylane is made in Sweeden and of the most expensive, others from other countries (many already approved in US) are the same but cost less.
    So, how much will it cost you to get injected with either?
    It really depends on what method the doctor has chosen for his/her patients.
    Some know or consider that clients usually don't need an entire vial of Botox or an entire syringue, or might need more, etc. etc., so they have their own "stock" of the products, they apply as little or as much as necessary, then see how much of a vial or vials of Botox that was, how much of a syringue they used, and they calculate the cost of it. Say, if you used half a vial of Botox, you'd likely be asked to pay at least 200 dollars (since the doc bought the vial for 400 dollars, say, and you used half of it) and likely 100 dollars more or so for the application cost. Same with Restylane or any other filler (Juvederm, etc.). If the doc has his own stock of it and uses what he has in his office, he will charge you for the amount used, calculated in turn according to how much the whole syringue cost was, and will add the cost of injecting it on you (charge you for "his expertise").
    BUT some docs work differently and instead write down a prescription with a signature or something that validates it so that people buy themselves the syringues or vials, they only charge for the application and for having given you the rx to buy those products in the laboratory or manufacturer' offices. Say, you might be given a rx that makes you go by the vial and pay for it, then pay to the doc only for the application, say, 200 dollars. If you are using an entire vial or an entire syringue, it's usually the same in terms of total cost. If, instead, you need only very little of the product, it's just too expensive and not worth it to buy a whole vial, because you'd spend 400 dollars when you'd use only the equivalent of maybe 100 dollars of the product... and these products can not be stored for more than a week, and must be cooled. Injectable fillers (Restylane, Juvederm) CAN be kept for a while if in the fridge, but in general people prefer buy one new each time. So what to do if you need little and your doc makes you buy an entire vial or an entire syringue? Most of those docs have "lists". Lists of clients interested in using botox or fillers, but who know don't need an entire vial or syringue. Depending on what the doc knows he/she will use on a given patient, he/she can call the people on the list and the people agree on buying the product and splitting the cost according to the amount each person will use. Say, one of the people in the list might spend 400 dollars (or the doc) and then each one that wuld be injected with a bit of it would pay 100, 200, 60, 300 dollars, whatever, depending on how much they used. In most cases, it's one of those things you have to be in a waiting list and be ready to take advantage of when someone needs to use x amount of botox and that the remaining is right the dose for you or the right dose to split with you and someone else.
    With fillers, it's not so complicated, and often docs already have their syringues or calculate how many you will need (usually one) and it won't cost you anyway too much (not as expensive as botox), and if you buy a syringue and you use half of it, say, in many cases, you will be able to keep the remainings for the next application stored in a fridge, with your name on it, etc. etc. That's because fillers do not lose their properties nor "expire" the fast way Botox does.
    In any case, when people say "it will cost you around 500 dollars" or any other amount, they are usually referring to how much it will cost you for the amount of the product you will use and not the entire vial, PLUS the cost of paying the doc for the application.
    Most docs "know" how much you will need after seeing you and can give you an estimate of the cost because they estimate how much of the product/s you will use.
    Hope I was not too confusing!
    If anything, PM me.

smf

^ no its not confussing lol ,i think i understand ,and thanks for info,

much appreciated

czb

[quote=Mysteryagain2;810869]Dear smf, here's the deal.

. . .
    Some know or consider that clients usually don't need an entire vial of Botox or an entire syringue, or might need more, etc. etc., so they have their own "stock" of the products, they apply as little or as much as necessary, then see how much of a vial or vials of Botox that was, how much of a syringue they used, and they calculate the cost of it. Say, if you used half a vial of Botox, you'd likely be asked to pay at least 200 dollars (since the doc bought the vial for 400 dollars, say, and you used half of it) and likely 100 dollars more or so for the application cost. Same with Restylane or any other filler (Juvederm, etc.). If the doc has his own stock of it and uses what he has in his office, he will charge you for the amount used, calculated in turn according to how much the whole syringue cost was, and will add the cost of injecting it on you (charge you for "his expertise").
    . . . . quote]

this is scary.

botox is sold in a single-use vial (i think the same is true about restylane). no preservatives are added so the drug may not be stable/effective after a vial is opened. and i don't even want to get into potential contamination issues if a vial is re-used. the bottom line is, you want to see your doc use a FRESH vial of these drugs, not a previously used one. and if they are charging you less than the going rate for a vial, i would suspect that they are reusing vials or diluting the drug in some way since allergan does not offer quantity discounts for these drug to docs.

Botox Cosmetic: A Look at Looking Good

Bronze Member

I had said:
    If the doc has his own stock of it and uses what he has in his office, he will charge you for the amount used, calculated in turn according to how much the whole syringue cost was, and will add the cost of injecting it on you (charge you for "his expertise").

You said:
    this is scary.

I concur. UNLESS the doc is one you know and SHOWS YOU how he r she proceeds (that he/she opens the vial he/she has in store right in front of you, AND THAT YOU SEE him/her taking the product from the fridge). But most docs don't bother to prove the patient that. Ad that's scary, yes.

>botox is sold in a single-use vial (i think the same is true about restylane). no preservatives are added so the drug may not be stable/effective after a vial is opened.

True, although technically, botox can have its effect not expire IF used before a week has passed by since being open AND that the cold chain has not been broken. That means that the product was never exposed to normal temperatures and then put back in the fridge. For it to last 7 days, it has had to never been "out there" in "normal" air, but always at an extremely low temperature. Something we usually can't know or see. So it really matters that one finds a doc who makes a big deal of respecting expiration dates, handling of the products and sanity.

>and i don't even want to get into potential contamination issues if a vial is re-used.

Yes, definitely, UNLESS you culd have proven that the needle was put into the decontaminating chamber even before being used (a new syringue, anyway!), and right in front of your eyes, discarded, and that the following patients would see that too. The product taken from the botox in the cold camera, with new syringue decontaminated even if in theorynot contaminated to start with and right there discarded.

Which is why I agree with czb: UNLESS you happened to know a doc who does everything in front of your eyes, makes you watch how everything was well preserved, dated, new, discarded, etc. etc. and makes a big deal out of it, it's best to not have anything done by someone owning already vials and having used it on others and get your own vial/syringue, use it as much as possible, then see the doc discard it in front of your eyes, or, as I have seen some good docs do: give you the (empty) vial or syringue with a document stating the date of the opening of it, the dosage you had, etc. so you can keep it at home and know exactly that it won't be used, what was used, etc. etc.
    the bottom line is, you want to see your doc use a FRESH vial of these drugs, not a previously used one.

>and if they are charging you less than the going rate for a vial, i would suspect that they are reusing vials or diluting the drug in some way since allergan does not offer quantity discounts for these drug to docs.

True too. Serious docs tend to make you buy the products and open them there or have them but open them for you and charge you at least the cost of the vial, syringue, and how much more for the application, depends on the doc.
    The good side of his having it unopened in his office would be, only, that you'd not have to buy it yourself in a laboratory ad risk to break it, put it in some hot place, etc. Usually, laboratories (goodones) send the vials or syringues in refrigerated boxes for docs, so the cold chain is not broken, something you do if you buy it yourself. In the case of bothproducts, as long as not opened, your breaking the cold chain isn ot all that serious (if opened, yes, that's really bad) but it still is not ideal.

czb had good input.
    Botox Cosmetic: A Look at Looking Good[/quote]

my plastic surgeon sais restalyne tends to last longer and has better results (as a filler, over collagen).

I think you pay per syringe. I have not had any injectables done...not till im over 30!

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by veronabrit View Post
    my plastic surgeon sais restalyne tends to last longer and has better results (as a filler, over collagen).

I think you pay per syringe. I have not had any injectables done...not till im over 30!
    The derms around me (work in the health field but not a doc nor nurse) say the same: hyaluronic safer and longer lasting, usually (depends sometimes on the person) than collagen, as far as other fillers, not necessarily longer lasting, but it does not imply as many risks of bumps, lumps or undesired side effects.

Yes, docs pay HA per syringue, they are usually of 1ml. each .

That's the problem with fillers like Restylanne, Collagen etc. as well as botox. They just DON'T last. In many cases they completely wear off in a couple of weeks.

It's really a waste of time/pain/money unless you can afford getting it re-done again and again.

Personally I think it's good that they don't last, especially Botox. You really have to shop around or test around for a good RN or MD who does a good job with injections. Not only do they have to know your specific facial anatomy but they also have to be artistically inclined, at least that's my personal experience.

Also, $$$-wise it's better to go with Juvederm for lips because it is less lumpy on the lips than Restylane, and it actually lasts longer than Restylane. I've also had Perlane before and it's just been FDA approved, it's basically larger molecules than Restylane so it's perfect for nasolabial lines. It's expensive though.

My MD has this new stuff that's calcium-based, for lip augmentation and it's supposedly permanent. It's a series of mini-injections into your lips until the desired shape and size is achieved. I'm considering either that or fat injections, which is also permanent or very long lasting.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by veronabrit View Post

im seriously considering this shit or juvenderm b/c my face is skinny and make me look older and when i gain weight; it doesn't go to my face of course!

does anyone have any personal before and after pics on here?! that would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by NHKMM View Post
    That's the problem with fillers like Restylanne, Collagen etc. as well as botox. They just DON'T last. In many cases they completely wear off in a couple of weeks.

It's really a waste of time/pain/money unless you can afford getting it re-done again and again.

HAHA by the time i need botox badly, they will have invented something new and better and hopefully longer lasting.

I read in the last instyle magazine issue that the future of injectables involves snake venom (that wont kill you) but will freeze the muscles like botox does, will last longer etc.

Bring on the snakes, bitches!

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    im seriously considering this shit or juvenderm b/c my face is skinny and make me look older and when i gain weight; it doesn't go to my face of course!

does anyone have any personal before and after pics on here?! that would be great!
    I hear you!

I have basically your same problem (very slender face that gets just too skinny when I lose some weight or am stressed out: it's like I lose fat from my face first but that it's hard to get that fat back... and if you add to that that we lose fullness as we age... ).

Anyway, 2006 was a hellish year for me. I had to deal with something really bad at the beginning of the year (something really tragic) and not only the event was traumatic, it brought up more and more issues over the year. We wanted to forget things, yet new bad things would come up... I started having anxiety attacks often and got depressed (actually, it was post traumatic stress disorder, but in practical terms, that is like a depression + anxiety attack triggered by some traumatic event)... and it showed on my body and face. I am of those who, anyway, loses her appetite or does not really "absorb" the food when very stressed out. I ended up looking like crap. I lost so much fat in my cheeks and undereye area that I looked gaunt and tired all the time, even after gaining back the pounds I had lost (not all that many anyway, but they showed on my face). I felt terrible because I wanted to overcome a problem and there I had this face in the mirror that looked too skinny and reminded me of the hellish year I had been through. So by the end of the past year I started investigating on ways to gain some fullness back... and got restylane injections.

What a difference it has made!!! People don't even realize I had anything done, because it's not like I have modified my face, just filled it up again and then a bit more than in my "before". People think and say: "Oh you look healthy again, you look rested, you glow"... anyway, it's not what the others say that makes the difference to me, but looking at myself on the mirror and seeing a more rested face, which in turn makes me feel healthier, younger and that "shows".

It is true that Restylane is absorbed too quickly... it implies spending quite a lot of money every few months. In most cases, though, for each time you get injected, there is some collagen growth induced by the hyaluronic acid, so it's not like you lose the filler and go back to exactly the way you were but are a tiny bit fuller than before you got it injected (so you don't look worse, even a tiny bit better UNLESS you lost weight in the meantime, of course)... and that allows people (at least it allowed me) to space further and further the re-injections.

I haven't used Juvederm. It lasts longer, yes, but the potential for it causing bumps and lumps over time is big. Most people are not aware of it because this is not an effect that's immediate, but, sadly, is noticed usually many years after the injection. And Juvederm is rather new, so that's why there aren't many reports about that, yet. I learned this from the dermatologist, but I never truly trust docs at 100%, so I researched on the matter myself (look for plastic surgery and dermatology journals in the National Library of Medicine database, for example) and then I learned that.
    I have also used Matridur, which I like more than Restylane. It's like Restylane, temporary too, but made in Germany and the hyaluronic acid is organized in "beads", in larger particles, which sort of keeps the shape and the hyaluronic in place better than restylane... and for quite longer (at least that was the case for me and a few others I know)... but it's not FDA approved (I got it because I live in another country).

But... with fillers, you can't never know for sure. Each person is different and sometimes some fillers work better for some and not for others.

I am afraid I can't send you "before" pics because that year from hell I did not take (close) pics of me/my face, my life was hectic and I didn't feel like having pics taken, I felt like crap! So I have nothing objective to show you as a before. But yes, it made a difference.

The doc put the hyaluronic in my cheeks and from the corners of the mouth to the sides (as in filling in below the cheeks). Also a tiny bit in the top of my nose, which creates an optical illusion that I love, it looks now less long and my eyes wider apart (which in turn makes the face looks wider)... but watch out, the results depend a lot on the skills of each doc. It's like art... it's a lot about knowing exactly how much to put and where depending on each person's facial structure. You should look for someone who had it done and wose results you really like, then see that doc, ask for before and after pics, etc. I found a good doc at first, but an even better the second time around. I have seen, in turn, other women who were treated by other docs, and I think they like how it all turned out, but I personally found some of those results artificial or too-generic looking.

It is one of those things that takes money, research and time before you find the right doc and get good results. But when it works, it makes you feel really younger and look so much more rested, youthful.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

wow i'm so sorry to hear about your tragic year!

so thank you so much for sharing that story though - personal experiences is the best to learn from and those are some good tips to leave me with too! I cant wait to try it for myself as well but it also bothers me when ppl look at pics of me from a few years ago and tell me i looked so much better back then b/c my face is thinner and eyes deeper set bla bla bla so sounds like a good xmas present for myself

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information