Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreadlocks?

Default Dreadlocks?

I've been thinking more and more lately about taking the plunge and getting them done. I've wanted them since I was younger, and it just seems that I do it now or do it never. I really like how they look, and always have.

What do you think? I would most definitely need extensions on them, as I don't want short locks. Do you think a 27yo married mom of two
    would be ridiculous in Locks?

Also, if you have had them, I would love to hear your experience!

i personally dont like them and think they dont look very professional, but to each their own. I would never do it because i think it can hinder your career, especially in ceratin fields. If you are a stay at home mom, it probably wouldn't affect you as much. It also sucks because once you want them out you pretty much have to chop them out....extensions are super expensive too, and a waste if you are just going to dread them. If you are looking for something new...why not try a funky, textured haircut/style?

Go for it! You are right-now or never. I have seen some that looked fab!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Never really been a fan, especially on girls. Just seems so gross... But to each his own.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

if yer white, you'll look like a dirty hippie.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Dreadlocks look good as long as they're well kept. I usually don't like them on white people, mainly because they don't work well with their hair type and end up looking ratty, but there are always exceptions.

I've got long hair, a big "no no" for women over 30 according to many folks, but I don't give a damn. Don't worry about what others think. It's your hair, do what makes YOU happy!

Yes, the only way white chicks can have dreds is if they're over 50 and are lesbian artists who own junk shops.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Yes, the only way white chicks can have dreds is if they're over 50 and are lesbian artists who own junk shops.
    Hey, my sister has dreds and she's only a 19 yr old lesbian artist

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    if yer white, you'll look like a dirty hippie.
    Agree - dirty and scruffy and kinda itchy. My pothead nephew had them and he thought he looked SO cool. In fact he looked like a dirty, scruffy, pothead hippy Still, it gave him an excuse why nobody would employ him. Then he cut them off and instantly looked a million times better and got a job, but he's still a pothead
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

dreadlocks tend to look great on guys, not so great on girls unless they're fine-featured and naturally pretty. kind of like pixie cuts and shaved heads: on natalie portman - gorgeous. on britney - disaster. but i've seen women that can definitely pull them off.
    Last edited by sputnik; August 27th, 2007 at 11:51 AM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Well, I am an artist, so score one for me there. lol.

I've got a little while to think about it. I've been looking at pictures, and while I've seen many a white girl with some nasty locks, the ones who take care of theirs have beautiful, tight, sleek locks. (I've also noticed on women that the smaller the locks the better. Haven't seen any fat locks that look good, at least not on the white chicks.)

I figure, worst case scenario, they don't lock up well or I can't get them to look good with my white girl hair, so I chop them off in a year and I am back at the pixie I am now. If I like them, then I suppose I can be an old dreadlocked grandma. (Maybe I'll get the nerve to smoke some pot in my dotage.)

You know, I am and have always been of the opinion that it's your hair. Do what you want to with it...cut it, color it, curl it, dred it...hey, it's only hair, and it does grow back!
    I have had my hair supe short for years and years now, and have no intention of letting it grow out. I experiment with different colors, too. I have had several shaded of eggplant...a beautiful black/purple color. I figure if I walk into a room, I don't stand a chance of someone else having my hair color! Actually, am getting it cut Wednesday, and need a new color...
    I say go for it! You never know until you try it!

I think they can look good. I just hate seeing people scratch their head incessantly. It's your hair and you only live once, so why the hell not?
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I'd say go for it. I had dread locks when I was a teen and I miss them. Scratching, lice and all.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

It's just gross and ugly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information