Thread: Coloring your hair every month

Default Coloring your hair every month

Who thinks coloirng your hair is worth the time and cost?

I have some friends who spend so much time and money on their hair!
    They have it down to a tee to add new color each month there is about 30 different shades.

I color my own hair. I have never had a professional dye job. I do it about every 4 to 6 weeks...depending on when those pesky grays start shining at the temple. The cut of my hair makes it almost impossible to see roots, but that gray comes back with a vengence in the temple area!
    My colors vary, usually in shaded of reds/auburns...

I get my hair colored profesionally because the results are nicer and i like the idea of pampering myself. I am a brunette and was blonde for almost 2 years but it was just waaaayyy too high maintenance for me. I now just get a light brown base and soft blonde highlights, very subtle.

I think its worth it to pay to get your hair done BUT i dont like a lot of colors or big chunky highlights...its so tacky and out of style.

I was trying to find a photo to post to show you what these girls are doing. It was chuncky highlights at first, but now the color and dimension have become complex.

I have had to dye my hair every 4-6 weeks since I was about 20 because I started showing a little gray. It sucks that it started so early. My husband has said i should just let it grow out naturally, but I say "Hell No!". For me it's definitely worth the cost. I go back and forth between doing my own at home and getting it done professionally. If they invented a treatment, injection, whatever to cure my grey, I'd pay whatever price they were asking.

^ Me too, I'm near 30 and have about 5-10% , too. That sucks b/c I'm darked headed. WTF going from brown dark to white?

lately ive been dying my own hair every 6-8 weeks with semi-permanent chocolate brown. My hair is naturally a light mousy brown but i have really dark eyebrows and eyelashes so its looks really stupid having the light brown hair. I tend to avoid going to hairdressers these days but if i was going to attempt something drastic like bleaching or streaks/highlights then i would go to a hairdresser.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

A*O

I think you have to be realistic if you don't want really high maintenance colour. If you are a natural brunette then being a convincing blonde is going to cost time and money. If you are a natural mouse (bright blonde in my childhood dammit!) then you have more options to go lighter or darker. Either way you need to pick a look that looks vaguely natural. I tried a really dark tint once and looked like a corpse. I tried a platinum blonde and looked 10 years older. Now I have a mix of caramel and blonde in my mouse and it looks great.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I also dye my hair every 4-6 weeks.
    I do it myself because my hair's short and I don't think it's worth the expense of having it done by a hairdresser ^^

My hair is naturally black, and as my skin is very white, and my eyebrows naturally lighter than my hair (it weird !!) I've been dying them ginger for years ... since I'm 16 actually ^^
    I use a paraben-and-amonia-free organic product, it doesn't damage my hair so I guess it's OK ^^
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

If I go lighter, I do it professionally at a hair salon, but if im going darker, I get my friends or sis to do it for me. It is very expensive to get hair coloured, I have very long hair. It always costs me between 2 to 3 hundred. I try not to colour my hair often as it kills it. When I have light hair and my roots start showing, I usually colour it back to my natural hair colour, instead of going back for a retouch.

I remembered we coloured one of my friends hair, she had dark brown hair it was so dark it was almost black. She wanted to bleach her hair so she can go over it with another colour. Anyway after she rinsed off, she had patches of blonde spots on her scalp, her ends and mids were still dark........haha she was horrified she almost died
    Last edited by CRAZY 'N' NUTS; August 26th, 2007 at 09:19 AM.

I dye my hair every six weeks or so. I am a natural blonde and have been a redhead, brunette, and had black hair in the past. These days I have decided to stick with blonde shades but I am one of those really light light blonde fanatics so thats the color I go for. I've never had my hair colored professionally at all.

As much as I hate to keep up with roots and whatnot..I think its worth it when you feel good about how ya look with the certain hair color. No harm in that.

Quote Originally Posted by DCGossipGirl View Post
    I have my hair professionally highlighted and then I stretch out the colorings by using an at-home root touch-up kit between visits. I just read an article in More Magazine called "The New Hair Color Rules," and it said that tousled pieces like bangs and layers help to hide the regrowth on colored blonde hair. I think I might get a few layers added so I can wait even longer between salon visits. I love the beauty advice in this magazine!
    It does help. My hair is quite short and jagged looking and you can't see the roots as much on top...just those pesky temple areas...

Thread Information