Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meet the pre-teen beauty addicts

Default Meet the pre-teen beauty addicts

Bethany Conheeny takes two hours to get ready each morning.

A detailed inspection of her morning routine gives some indication why.
    After washing her naturally wavy hair, she spritzes, sprays and straightens it with 120 designer ceramic straighteners.
    If there's so much as a kink left, she starts again. She's rigorous in her cleansing, toning and moisturing routine, and before leaving the house, applies a slick of lip-gloss.
    At the weekends, it takes longer. Bethany who has 70 worth of beauty treatments each week, including a spray tan, pedicure, manicure and eyebrow wax applies St Tropez blusher, pink eye shadow and mascara.
    She prefers to use a Chanel foundation over her moisturiser, but as her 37-year-old mother Catherine, a qualified beautician, puts it, perhaps somewhat mildly: "She's a bit young for that."
    She has a point. Bethany is nine years old.
    Yet she's far from the only pre-teen beauty addict to seem more concerned about her make-up than her exam marks.
    Scroll down for more...
    Growing up too fast?: (l-r) Sarah-Jane Odell, aged 12, Belle Chapman, 11 and Karolina Jackson, 10

Take 11-year-old Belle Chapman. Last week, Belle, a naturally pretty brunette, turned to her mother Cheryl and said: "I must get my legs waxed again, they are getting so hairy."
    Cheryl, a PR executive from Reigate in Surrey, says: "Her monthly waxing costs me about 30, and she regularly has her hair highlighted, which costs 60. "I spend more on beauty treatments for her than myself. She loves having facials. I put my foot down about her using tanning beds, but she is badgering me to have the latest spray-on tan. She's even had her arms waxed."
    Old before her time? Bethany Conheeny, nine

Bethany is on the books of a Leeds modelling agency. Belle, meanwhile, has already had modelling assignments for children's clothes catalogues.
    Depressingly - but somewhat predictably - Belle's role models read like a contents page for a cheap celebrity magazine.
    Like many of her friends, she idolises Jordan, Victoria Beckham and Girls Aloud. And her mother says she can't see anything wrong with that.
    "Belle's done a few modelling jobs, and would love to get into showbusiness," Cheryl says.
    "It started when she was eight, and wanted highlights putting in her hair and her ears pierced. She said all her friends were having it done and so I let her. She's a determined girl, who likes to be thought of as cool.
    "In many ways she isn't a child at all her obsessions are clothes, hair and make-up.
    "She adores pink clothes and goes out wearing tiny tops showing her tummy, skinny jeans and her Ugg boots. When I was her age I wore jeans and jumpers and enjoyed playing out. She hangs around with friends at the shops."
    Cheryl is divorced and also has a 14-year-old son, Caspar. Despite paying for her little girl's waxing treatments, she does admit to being disturbed by the way her daughter dances.
    "She does all this very sexy dancing, 'shaking your booty' I think it's called.
    But she has no idea how sexual the moves are. I wonder what's going to be left for her when she actually becomes a teenager where is it all headed?"
    Indeed. Though it's impossible not to feel that Cheryl only has herself to blame for encouraging Belle to dress like an 18-year-old.
    Surely, she and Bethany's mother Catherine could stop pandering to their daughters' unhealthy obsession with their looks and refuse to pay for it?
    Catherine says: "If her nails need doing or the tan needs topping up, Bethany complains she doesn't feel right - a feeling lots of women can associate with."
    Of course, the uncomfortable truth is that, like Belle, Bethany is not a woman, she's a child, one of thousands of young girls being bombarded by society's confused and damaging messages as they grow up messages it appears are being reinforced by their mothers.
    At a recent family party, Catherine recalls how a 14-year-old boy pursued her nine-year-old daughter.
    "He wouldn't leave her alone all night, which made me feel very uncomfortable," says Catherine, who runs a furniture business with husband David, 42, in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.
    "But thankfully she told him she was nine and not interested in him.
    "I felt a little guilty because of the part I play in Bethany looking older than she is, but all her friends are the same, and when she works hard at school I'm loath to deny her the beauty treats she loves."
    Like the nymphets and faunlets in Nabokov's novel Lolita, British society, it seems, is fast breeding a generation of young girls being sexualised before their bodies have had time to develop.
    It's a phenomenon once largely associated with America, where the spotlight fell on the high-pressure world of child pageants following the brutal, unsolved murder of six-year-old child model JonBenet Ramsey in 1996.
    Now those same contests are being held up and down this country and children's charities are expressing concern.
    Last week, it was reported that paedophiles were having online conversations about one British child pageant regular 11-year-old Sasha Bennington. Sasha with her bleach blonde hair and blue eyes was a finalist in the Miss British Isles contest last year.

Full story Meet the pre-teen beauty addicts | the Daily Mail

Wow. Bethany looks like a 35 year old midget hooker. That is one ROUGH looking 9 year old.

again, more bad parenting.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Gold Member

Better to start with this stuff a bit later.

I wasn't allowed to get my ears pierced until I was 10, and I couldn't wear makeup until like 8th grade.

I'm getting pretty freaking frustrated reading about all of these mothers who seem to think they're so powerless when it comes to dealing with their own kids. This is your spawn. This is all you, you quivering, spineless idiots.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Gold Member

Do some parenting it is not hard to refuse the money.

Some people need to prow a brain.

This is shear stupidity. These little girls look ridiculous. There is plenty of time to get beauty treatments and hair bleach. What happened to playing and being a child. No darn wonder that children seem more and more sexualized, the parents are playing into this idiocy.

Grow a spine and learn to parent effectively.

It's good they are being taught that they are nothing at all except their looks, she said with the maximum of sarcasm

Silver Member

This one is a real easy one to parent-it is called saying "NO" My 7 year old wanted highlights, fake nails, a cell phone (whom would she call?), a my space page.... I told her no not until she was older. I don't think I have done emotional harm to her by telling her no.

The cell phone is a ridiculous hot button for me too. I work at a cell phone store and the number of bratty crying children who beg their parents for cell phones is nuts. And I even ask the kids who they want to call and they either look at me dumbfounded or they look at me as if I have two heads.

What kind of parent helps their child turn themselves into that? I don't understand how parents can let their young daughters doll themselves up like bar tramps. That 9 yr old looks way too old and will probably not ever realize that there is more to life than looks.

The thing that scares me the most is that these girls are in the generation that's going to take care of us when we are in a retirement home

It' a trend to be stupid and know more about fashion than the history of your country, that is too bad... Jessica Simpson is just one example of that....
    Life is a journey - it's the passion that takes you further than your dreams

Here's a fucking clue - JUST SAY NO! Christ, these are the same mothers who bemoan their offspring being obese while at the same time filling the cabinet with Doritos. Fucking idiot parents, and fucking pampered Sesame Streetwalker children.

I'm loath to deny her the beauty treats she loves
    Alrighty then! Nothing like setting these girls up to be high maintenance before they hit puberty. Much luck to their future boyfriends and husbands.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information