Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could moles be the key to looking young?

Default Could moles be the key to looking young?

Could moles be the key to looking young?

Despite polite attempts to call them beauty spots, most moles are seen as unsightly blemishes.
    But anyone covered in them should apparently be counting their blessings - blotch by blotch.
    Scientists claim that those with lots of moles are years younger biologically than those with mark-free skin.
    They may retain their youthful looks for longer and could be at lower risk of a host of age-related diseases such as heart disease or osteoporosis.
    The findings might explain why supermodel Cindy Crawford, known for a mole above her lips, looks far younger than her 41 years.
    And they go some way to balancing out the link between moles and an increased risk of skin cancer.
    Lead researcher Dr Veronique Bataille, a consultant dermatologist, said:
    "Dermatologists have always said that nature doesn't give us something for no reason. If the only reason for moles was to increase the risk of melanoma, it wouldn't be very clever."
    Her team, from King's College London, made the link between moles and ageing after studying the DNA of more than 900 sets of female twins.
    In particular, they focused on telomeres, the bundles of DNA that cap the ends of chromosomes.
    Thought of as biological clocks, telomeres get shorter as our cells divide over time. Eventually, they become so short that the cells die.
    Previous studies have found that those with long telomeres tend to be biologically younger than those of the same age but with shorter telomeres.
    This study, published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, found that those with more than 100 moles tended to have longer telomeres than those with fewer than 25. The difference in length equated to six or seven years of ageing.
    It is thought that having long telomeres allows the pigmented cells that form moles to divide for longer, increasing the number of marks on the body. Dr Bataille added that even though a person is ten times more likely to develop skin cancer if they have more than 100 moles, the overall risk of the disease is still very low.

Could moles be the key to looking young? | the Daily Mail

A*O

Yay! I have a lot of moles (not the lumpy variety thank God and none on my face, mostly arms and back) and I always thought they were a curse because of the increased risk of skin cancer.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

woo hoo i've got a few moles

Yes, something good has come out of my hideous moles. I do not have more than 100 though, so maybe I shouldnt get too excited

*"The findings might explain why supermodel Cindy Crawford, known for a mole above her lips, looks far younger than her 41 years"*
    I think it's not because of the moles but rather the botox, collegen & PS.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

I have a lot, though none are on my face. I get them removed all of the time. Hate them, but glad to know there is an upside

Doesn't everyone have moles?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

^^I think so. Some just have more than others.

Bronze Member

sorry, she doesn't look "far younger than 41" to me... she looks her age, just well maintained.
    personally , i have a ton i'd like to get rid of... but i'm scared of the scarring that I got when i tried cutting/burning off. that's why i'm looking into getting them removed with a laser instead of the other methods...

I have definitely more than 100. LOL

I think the more moles you have the more skin damage you have. Unless you had those moles since birth.

Eli

Moles are gross. I hate mine.
    More seem to pop up every once in a while, small ones though. It's very weird and annoying. Like I don't have enough.

I have a few moles that I've always had and I've always liked them. But of course I am getting more all the time and that's not so great.

I have one under the corner of my bottom lip, everyone always asks me if it's fake, because it's a perfect place for a beauty spot. I also have one on top of my eyebrow as well, Ive always hated them until one of my exes told me it brings out my features.

Add me to the list. I have moles. I look much younger than my age. If there's a connection, sweet. Now I have a reason to bitch less about my moles. It sucks because I am genetically capable of getting a damn good tan without burning, but I have to be careful (i.e. use sunscreen, quit tanning beds over ten years ago) because of these damned things. But that's probably also why I look younger than my age. I don't have any on my face though.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I have lots of moles over my back and tops of my shoulder. Plus, I look much younger. If they can connect the dots on that one, brilliant.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information