Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'perfect' smile

Default The 'perfect' smile

There are things on people that i like on them, but not on myself. One of those things is imperfect teeth. I see people with teeth that aren't perfectly straight, or perfectly sized, and I like it, but I cant accept my own. Braces gave me decent teeth, but I've always wanted that 'hollywood' smile. So i had a consult with a cosmetic dentist who told me he could give me that smile. Now i'm having second thoughts. There was only 2 teeth i really wanted re-done because i dont like its shape next to all my other teeth, but he's telling that he can create a whole new smile for me with 4 veneers, instead of the 2 i was after,- i guess they would do that since its more money for them. I'm having second thoughts because i dont want blinding white porcelain veneers that are totally perfect- i want my teeth to still look human.

Would you pass on a totally perfect white smile designed by a cosmetic dentist? Or live with slight imperfection?

I would go for it. I personally love the Hollywood smile. I can't get blinding white veneers because I show so many teeth when I smile that I would require about 15 veneers and I don't think my parents would pay for that.

My dad recently got a full set of veneers that look great... they are natural looking, very straight and just slightly whiter than his original teeth, giving him a more natural version of the Hollywood smile. I think that's a good option if you are afraid of it being too white.

Don't do it. It would take MORE AND MORE effort, pain and obviously money in the future.
    You can maybe use some bleaching/filing/etc. - but seriously, keep your natural teeth. It's a MUCH smarter idea for the long term (and in my opinion looks SO much better. I HATE fake Hollywood teeth. They look ridiculous, especially in real life)

I love imperfect teeth, it gives people character. The whole veneer thing has gotten totally out of hand, it like the new breast implants, everyone just has to have them

To me there is one thing that looks worse than crooked teeth, and that's fake teeth. So if you are going to get them done, be sure your know what your getting... and remember your teeth will never feel normal again.

I actually posted about awhile ago on her about getting my teeth done and I realized it was stupid and I was happy with what I have, a nice normally white, imperfect smile

Just remember...
    Porcelin is meant for toilets, not teeth !!!!

Silver Member

I agree with the imperfect teeth. I had two slightly crooked teeth and had the option of veneers or braces. I went with braces.The dentist thought I was nuts since veneers would fix the problem quicker as opposed to over a year with braces. My teeth are perfectly straight now, also fixed my bite, but I regret straightening my two little crooked teeth. I just liked how they were my two little crooked teeth. Now they are super straight. I would leave them alone. Remember not all veneers come out looking good. Chiclets!!

I'm one of the lucky one's, I am naturally blessed with white straight beautiful teeth. They are a natural white color because I have always brushed & flossed daily since childhood. I also do not smoke so that helps. People often ask me if I have had braces or if I am wearing dentures, I am always indignant about that!
    But weird as it sounds, I have always wished my teeth were a little more crooked, I think there is nothing wrong with crooked teeth as long as they are kept clean.
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I would go for it. I personally love the Hollywood smile. I can't get blinding white veneers because I show so many teeth when I smile that I would require about 15 veneers and I don't think my parents would pay for that.

My dad recently got a full set of veneers that look great... they are natural looking, very straight and just slightly whiter than his original teeth, giving him a more natural version of the Hollywood smile. I think that's a good option if you are afraid of it being too white.
    ITA. I love that look as well.

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung&Pretty View Post

Would you pass on a totally perfect white smile designed by a cosmetic dentist? Or live with slight imperfection?

You ought to decide if you're one of those people, like SJP for example, that looks good with the 'perfect' teeth. Some people wear it well, and others not. It makes for a mature look. Also,you don't want to look too toothy.

i would say go for it, teeth are such an important part of our apperance and being confident in your smile is crucial.

What is the procedure for veneers? Do they still shave down your natural teeth to put the caps on?

If so, I think it would be too uncomfortable. I have a root canal and cap on a back molar and it bothers me all the time. It fits and blends in, but you always know it's there and can feel the difference. It's just a weird feeling to me and if veneers destroy your natural teeth, I don't think it's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by NHKMM View Post
    Don't do it. It would take MORE AND MORE effort, pain and obviously money in the future.
    You can maybe use some bleaching/filing/etc. - but seriously, keep your natural teeth. It's a MUCH smarter idea for the long term (and in my opinion looks SO much better. I HATE fake Hollywood teeth. They look ridiculous, especially in real life)
    I so agree. There's a woman I see daily who has them. They are chiclet white and slightly too large for her face. I've heard she spent thousands of dollars on them. She's also had a lot of trouble adjusting the size and color. They have ruined her face because they are so obviously fake. They're distracting.

The thing that would worry me the most is that there's no going back once you have them. They have to shave down the teeth that they are fitting with veneers. So even if you don't like them, you're forever stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Born In A Brothel View Post
    What is the procedure for veneers? Do they still shave down your natural teeth to put the caps on?

If so, I think it would be too uncomfortable. I have a root canal and cap on a back molar and it bothers me all the time. It fits and blends in, but you always know it's there and can feel the difference. It's just a weird feeling to me and if veneers destroy your natural teeth, I don't think it's worth it.
    That's what I've wondered. Consultations should be free to find that out.
    I wouldn't want to have my teeth shaved down.

Doesn't sound like such a great idea. If veneers are permanent in this apect, well, this is something that you should consider. Can you get rid of them later on in life? Those are question that seem fit to ask, StayYoung...

They shave down your teeth and make them very thin and then put the veneer over the front of your teeth. It is permanent and your natural teeth are butchered underneath the porcelain onlays. You will never be able to "remove" them from your teeth once you have the procedure done.

I thought about getting them for the front of my teeth, but then decided to get braces instead because I didn't want anyone shaving my teeth down. I had to wear them 14 months and I got them at 22 years old, but it was 100% worth it. My teeth look really nice, but they are natural and I am so glad I didn't get veneers.

If you get them then you have to get all the teeth exposed when you smile, you can't just do the top teeth or the bottom teeth because your natural teeth will stain and the veneers will look very different when you smile. Bleaching won't make all your natural teeth look the same as the veneers.

Really do your research on this because if you get it done and hate it then you are pretty much screwed. Also as you know people are going to be staring at your mouth constantly if the veneers look akward or unnatural. Post a picture of your teeth, I am sure they are beautiful!!

Gold Member

I have two veneers and I would NEVER recommend them. If I could remove them I would. My teeth weren't shaved down alot but enough that it would look funny without the veneers. Porcelain discolors over time. Now my natural teeth are much lighter than my two veneers. Also nothing lasts for ever so veneers are an expensive commitment because over time they will have to be replaced.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Thanks DeadDwarf and Paint for the info. To me, it just sounds way too uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information