Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birth Control and Acne

Silver Member ChangingEventually's Avatar

Default Birth Control and Acne

Sooooo...yeah, I recently tricked my mom into getting me an appointment with someone who can prescribe birth control pills. I told her it had to do with my period, but I just wanted it in case I have sex and also because it can help with acne.

I heard something called Diane35 can help a lot. Does anyone have any experience with it? Also, there's other contraceptive pills that can help with weightloss, etc.
    WHAT`S THiiS GAME?
    BABii ii WANT T0 PLAii
    [
    está bella traición que mato mi ilusion]

I haven't used Diane35, but I have been on Ortho-Lo since I was 18 and it did wonders for my complexion. It completely cleared up my skin and my boobs went from A cups to C cups with no weight gain anywhere else. It gave me a lot more confidence.

Bronze Member

** Note: having troubles with my keyboard, sorry for the typos in advance**

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingEventually View Post
    Sooooo...yeah, I recently tricked my mom into getting me an appointment with someone who can prescribe birth control pills. I told her it had to do with my period, but I just wanted it in case I have sex and also because it can help with acne.

I heard something called Diane35 can help a lot. Does anyone have any experience with it? Also, there's other contraceptive pills that can help with weightloss, etc.
    Hi there!
    My sister was once on Diane35, and I have friends who were on it.
    I have a friend ob/gyno, so I also got some info on it from him.
    Diane35 is a rather *strong* Pill. By that, I mean that it's one of those pills that are better prescribed for people with hormonal issues (like policystic ovarian syndrome, high testosterone levels) or with an active, serious problem with acne or hirsutism (a lot of body hair). If that's not the case, it's like killing a fly with a bazooka. Sorry for the expression, but it's what the guno told me. Diane 35 has an ingredient called cyproterone, which is a strong, strong anti-androgenic drug. That means that it fights the excess of testosterone in women's body, and the side effects from it (like growing more body hair than normal fora woman, having bad acne, etc.). But it's quite strong, and too strong for someone with a "normal" hormonal balance (not testosterone excess and no syndrome linked to testosterone and hormonal big imbalances).
    My sister was given it because the doc (not my friend, another one) assumed that she had some hormonal imbalance. Bad guess. She was just too stressed over her upcoming marriage ad getting pimples out of it, and she had some extra body hair, but shehad always had it, and some in my family have that same problem, it's not really hormonal but genetical.
    As a result, yes, she had a good working birth control pill and got rid of the zits and when she would get epilated, her hair would not grow back as thick as before... but on the other side, she felt nauseous often, had ZERO libido, was moody and didn't feel too well overall.

The gyno I know says the estrogen dose in it is not of the lowest, neither, so it's kind of strong form that point of view too.

Personally, knowing that about Diane, I started taking other BC pills, and the little active acne on my back, that seemed to never go away (my face was clear with retionid use, but my back not) finally went away. For good and forever. My skin has been clear for the 8 years I've been on birth control pills. I've switched pills, depending on whether or not some pill proved at some point to be kind of too "light" in its hormonal dosage (I would get some breakthrough bleeding and that either happens when you starttaking a pill or, after you got used to a Pill and didn't have it, if it starts, it can idnicate that the hormonal dose is low FOR YOU in particular... risky thing since it makes its effectivity lower). But switching pills and all, I never had problems with them. In theory, the guno said, ALL should help with acne. All maintain an estrogen/progestagen balance that helps at keeping acne at bay or getting rid of it. BUT he also said that SOME women react differerntly to different particular progesterone-liike ingredients. He explained to me that not all progestagens used in Pills have the same potential in terms of their androgenic effect. For example, levonorgestrel has a low androgenicity and norgestimate a rather low one, but not so low, etc. etc. Each woman responds differently to different formulas, because there are women who respond strongly at ANY androgenic effect in the pill components, or at some progestagen in particular... Of course you must add to that that women also react differently to the different types of estrogens and their dosage! That's why itis so tricky for some to find the right pill! BUT, once you find the right pill for you, it should work just fine, not make youg ain weight, not mess up with your libido (at least not much) and clear up your acne. Many will make your boobs grow a coup or two, because for many women, being on the Pill means that your is getting more estrogen all month long than when you were off the Pill. It was mycase. I grew one half/one cup size when I started taking it. Not any more (thank God, at 30E, more would look heavy on me!!!!!!!)

Anyway, the acne part is usually rather linked to the progestagen component than to the estrogen in the pill... If I were you, I'd ask the doc for a pill suited for you with "low androgenicity" progestagen IF you have a tendency for acne. And would leave Diane as the last choice...

BTW, all of myfriends on Diane had some bad side effects from it. Then again, none needed it all that badly!

Sadly, ther eis no one clear cut answer. Only your own genetics, prediposition to acne/hirsutism and your sensitbility to the ingredients of each type of Pill will determinate what pill is the right for you. To some, it's a one only try thing and they fin their holy grail, for others, it takes many, many trials .

Good luck, keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I haven't used Diane35, but I have been on Ortho-Lo since I was 18 and it did wonders for my complexion. It completely cleared up my skin and my boobs went from A cups to C cups with no weight gain anywhere else. It gave me a lot more confidence.
    That sounds good. Good old facewash and drinking water cleared up my skin but i like the sound of a cup to c cup with no weight gain

But I guess everyone carries weight in different areas. Did you gain weight in your breasts before? Or can you safely say the pill worked the magic?

Elite Member

i know that birth control messes up your hormones when you start to get off it. its great for some, but its artificial and inevitabley changes how your body produces hormones naturally, leading to problems after you get off the pill. its up to you but try a dermatologist first before you make such a huge decision

can you not level with your mom and tell her what you want them for? are you able to talk to her?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    can you not level with your mom and tell her what you want them for? are you able to talk to her?

And tell my mom that her 15 year old angel (in her eyes) is thinking of having sex with 21 year olds? I don't think so.

I like the bigger boobs and acne clearing though.

Mysteryagain2, thank you so much for all the info! I guess I'll talk to my doctor about it. I have an appointment with a Youth Sex Doctor Person on the 3rd. I'm trying to get it so my mom doesn't go in with me. But thanksfor warning me. Maybe Diane35 is a little too strong. The website sure didn't tell me that.
    WHAT`S THiiS GAME?
    BABii ii WANT T0 PLAii
    [

Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung&Pretty View Post
    That sounds good. Good old facewash and drinking water cleared up my skin but i like the sound of a cup to c cup with no weight gain

But I guess everyone carries weight in different areas. Did you gain weight in your breasts before? Or can you safely say the pill worked the magic?
    No, I was always extremely flat... I really do think that for me the pill worked magic.

changing, I think that 15 is a little young for sex but it's good that you are at least protecting yourself against an unwanted pregnancy. But do push for a condom too, you never know what a person might be carrying and I don't know how you could explain to your mum a visit to the gyno about chlamydia, or something. 21 year olds are not notorious for their committed relationships but once you are both together for a long time (and maybe you get the guy tested for AIDS and everything) I guess you can forego condoms.

With that unsolicited advice out of the way , on to the pills. I have no personal experience with Diane but since you are just starting out you might need to consider a lighter pill. I am on Yasmin myself and I'm very happy with it. I never had an acne problem so I can't say whether it helped much there but must tell you that the first couple of months it actually gave me acne and irritable skin instead of fixing it. But soon it was fine. My breasts grew about a cup but also became tender and there are times when they hurt quite a bit. It's almost as if I'm constantly waiting for my period and that's not too cool. Maybe you could see a dermatologist and discuss your options regarding birth control to help with acne? He might have some good suggestions.

I've been to the derm. Nothing works. I'm really not too worried about what it does to my menstrual cycle or whatever. I want bigger boobs and clearer skin. If I have to go through days where my emotions are roller coaster-like, I'll do it for the sake of beauty. Unless they make me bloated. I can't handle that.
    WHAT`S THiiS GAME?
    BABii ii WANT T0 PLAii
    [

Bronze Member

Changing Eventually, keep us posted, ok?

My appointment's on the 3rd. I want to see what kind my doctor will prescribe, and then bring up Diane35.
    WHAT`S THiiS GAME?
    BABii ii WANT T0 PLAii
    [

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingEventually View Post
    And tell my mom that her 15 year old angel (in her eyes) is thinking of having sex with 21 year olds? I don't think so.

I like the bigger boobs and acne clearing though.

Mysteryagain2, thank you so much for all the info! I guess I'll talk to my doctor about it. I have an appointment with a Youth Sex Doctor Person on the 3rd. I'm trying to get it so my mom doesn't go in with me. But thanksfor warning me. Maybe Diane35 is a little too strong. The website sure didn't tell me that.
    you are the one that started another thread about having sex with a 25 yr old. i really think you are out of your league dear.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    No, I was always extremely flat... I really do think that for me the pill worked magic.
    Oh i should try that before i get breast implants

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    you are the one that started another thread about having sex with a 25 yr old. i really think you are out of your league dear.
    21, dear.

And didn't you know dear was a patronizing word?
    WHAT`S THiiS GAME?
    BABii ii WANT T0 PLAii
    [

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information