Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Girls and makeup

Default Girls and makeup

I was 14 when I started wearing a little lip gloss and mascara. I was 16 when I bought my own makeup. It was never really more than lip gloss, mascara, maybe some blush. Now and then I'd try out eyeshadow but I never really liked it.

My question: My little 4 1/2 year old friend is a girly girl. Since she was two, she'd accessorize with a little purse and a hairclip. She always took notice of handbags and shoes. She'd compliment someone on their nail polish and their jewelry. She recently noticed my friend's Marc Jacobs handbag telling her it was a great bag, lol.

Sometimes her grandma would polish her nails for one day and then take it off. She told me she'd like to have a pink pedicure like mine. Aside from asking her Dad, do you think it's okay? I think she'd look cute with her little sandals. I thought maybe for dress up and keep it on for one day.

Right before a bedtime story she lept out of bed, told me to wait, she grabbed her pearl necklace and put it on. I said she couldn't wear them to bed! She said she knew that.........the pearls were just for the story.

Silver Member Green-eyed-hottie's Avatar

Awww...that is just too cute!
    I think it's fine... I don't think there's anything wrong with that.. I remember when I was a little girl I wanted to polish my nails but dad wouldn't allow it
    If you are worried about chemicals in the nail- polish and all that stuff- there are special ones for kids.. (I think Avon has them)
    "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way"

Chalet if it is okay with the parent you know then by all means drag her kicking and screaming...

I think it's definately okay if the parent(s) okay it. Pink polish is cute in an innocent way on a little girl.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

My step-granddaughter is exactly that age and she has nail polish on most of the time. And lip gloss, but I think we convinced her not to put it on 25 times a day! The "trailer park" side of the family (her dad) got her started on that. She is incredibly girly and feminine, and insists on picking out her own clothes. She is so cute, and she has the poise and fashion sense of a 30 year old!

Elite Member

I think it's cute but know that a lot of people think painting nails and putting on lipgloss (even if it's for play) is too grown up for an child in elementary school. But, remember, I came from a strict Spanish family. I was surrounded by people with that mentality. My sister and I weren't allowed to wear makeup or paint our nails until we were 14 yrs old. My parents didn't even pierce my ears until I was old enough to get them pierced myself at 17. Put it this way, my grandmother, bless her heart, was so naive, she didn't like us playing with Barbies, because they had 'boobs'...lol

I understand the concept of wanting kids to stay kids, but I would probably let my daughter play with fake makeup at home even if she was little. But as far as going out in public like that in real life, no way. I do notice, however, that when I go get my nails done every 2 or 3 weeks that there are more little girls in there...children who are 11 or 12 yrs old and getting acrylic nails done for their 6th grade graduation or some sort of dance. Or mothers who are getting their nails filled and ask the nail technicians to give little manicures or pedicures to their daughters who are 5 or 6 yrs old. So you have little girls who are 5, 6 and 7 years old getting their nails painted and being pampered when they haven't even gotten their periods yet...lol

You either change with the times or the times change on ya...whatever works for you and your kid...

When I get my nails done, there are always a bunch of little girls getting their toenails painted. I think it's cute and innocent, especialy in little girls. I bought my friends daughter a little kids lipgloss "purse". It had about ten little pots of lipgloss in a case that snapped shut and had a strap like a purse. She carried it every where for a month or so

It's not like my granddaughter is going for pedicures. Her mother or cousins put nail polish on her toes once in a while. She loves that kind of stuff because it makes her feel "grown up" and special. And I've given her a little purse with her own comb and compact and she was thrilled. I don't see the harm in it.

When I was in kindergarten, my best friend's mother put makeup on her every day! And I mean everything. It's unbelievable to me now. At five, though, I was jealous. My mother was sensible.

SVZ

Keep credit cards away from her!!

It's all about intent, imo. Little girls aren't thinking "this will make the boys notice me", and they probably don't even know what "sexy" means. They just like to feel grown up and special sometimes, or to match their mums/older sis/friends/aunties. If the intent is innocent, and the desire is theirs, I could never see a problem with it.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Pink can be ok, though if I had a little girl I think I'd prefer just a clear glossy coat for the nails - my brother has two little girls that the mother paints up with red nailpolish and throws a tube top and miniskirt on them and I think it's trashy and tell them they shouldn't dress the girls like hookers...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I think most little girls like to play in makeup god knows my diva does she will sneak into mine at every chance she has and she's not quite 3. I've painted her nails and i give her chapstick which is the same as lipstick to her my grandmother will make her up sometimes she puts blush and eyeshadow on her it's all play time for her and she won't leave the house unless she has a ponytail and she has checked the mirror to make sure I've done it right
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    Pink can be ok, though if I had a little girl I think I'd prefer just a clear glossy coat for the nails - my brother has two little girls that the mother paints up with red nailpolish and throws a tube top and miniskirt on them and I think it's trashy and tell them they shouldn't dress the girls like hookers...
    That is a bit over the top!! Holy cow.

Most of the little girls I see at the nail salon are just getting their nails polished, not full pedicures. Plus, I think they love the little flower design they put on the big toe

When my daughter was younger, she loved nail polish. I got her a few age-appropriate colours for Christmas one year [because I don't wear any kind of make-up, so she can't just borrow mine] and she thought it was the best present ever. Now that she is a teenager and I would expect her to be into this stuff, she doesn't really bother with it. Now she likes jewelry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information