Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much time do you estimate you spend a week "maintaining" yourself?

Default How much time do you estimate you spend a week "maintaining" yourself?

Do you ever get fed up with how much time it takes to maintain yourself? I am actually a bit of a lazy cow and do the bare minimum but sometimes I resent even that!

I wonder how much time some women spend on this stuff (ie, those who do fake tan, lead a beach life which in turn leads to more of the body on display etc... ). Not that I am knocking anyone who does! On the contrary, I
    I know I could look better than I do sometimes and there are special occasions when I wish I'd tried harder!

What I do:-

1. I wear a light make-up every daily, without fail
    2. I shower and wash hair daily (I don't style my hair in a big way - just blow-dry
    3. I epilate legs, arm and bikini-line once-weekly (it's probably not enough really but it's all I do)
    4. I use hair-remover cream on upper lip once-weekly
    5. I tint my own roots every month (and pluck/tint my brows too)
    6. Exfoliate facial skin once-weekly
    7. I get hair cut every 2-3 months
    8. Manicure - once in a blue moon! Ditto pedicures....
    What I don't do:-

1. Style, curl or straighten hair
    2. Deep-condition hair
    3. Have facials or indeed any kind of professional treatment, save hair-cutting
    4. Fake tan
    5. Manicures/pedicures with any sort of consistency
    6. Moisturise body
    7. Do anything special like tooth-whitening etc (although I have just order a sonic toothbrush...)
    8. Exercise(!!!!) I MUST start this...
    9. Diet (!!!!! I MUST start this........

It's like a never-ending battle and there's so much more I probably should be doing as well - aargh!

Just curious to know what other people do and how they fit it into their schedule. I usually try and do other stuff when my hair dye is fermenting on my head for instance!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoog View Post
    I wonder how much time some women spend on this stuff. Just curious to know what other people do and how they fit it into their schedule.

Not enough obviously...I'm sitting in front of this screen!
    Playful~

I know. I would love to be low maintenance and i try to be but there are some things a woman MUST do in todays world.

I'm not as self conscious and obsessed with image as I used to be though- the way i see it, when i'm dressed down and make no effort with hair and makeup, people stare and talk. If i go out looking a milion bucks people stare and talk. Either way, you never win. So now i couldnt be bothered. If i feel like dressing up and looking fantastic, i'll go to the effort. Otherwise I give myself a break.

Well, I don't think I spend as much time as others do, and I think it's a financial thing. If I had the money to be high maintanince (sp? idk it looks weird ), I would be.

Let's see...

Everyday -
    Shower
    Wash hair
    Brushing teeth
    Clothing
    Hair (be it up, down, curly or straight)
    Make up
    Lotion body (twice a day)

That takes me at least an hour to do all that in the morning.

3-4 times a week:
    Shave (legs etc.)
    Tanning

Once a week:
    My nails and toes (removing old polish, clipping, filing, painting, and for my feet I exfoliate them) - I don't get manicures or pedicures...I do it all fine by myself!
    I pluck my eyebrows
    I exfoliate my body

I get my hair cut probably once every 4-5 months.

I think that's it!
    Once student teaching is over with (9 days, horray!) I'll get back to exercising.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Elite Member

i guess i shower and brush my hair everyday. wear makeup only when i have somewhere to be. shave my legs couple times a week. get rid of unwanted upper lip hair and thats about it. but i dont have a million hrs to spend on things. they take forever and if i need to go to the corner store-i wont put on makeup for that, u know

Quote Originally Posted by SunShine23 View Post
    if i need to go to the corner store-i wont put on makeup for that, u know
    I shudder at the memory now but I'll make a confession. I grew up in a rather small town. It was not uncommon to get in the car to make a fast run to the local drive-thru in *gasp* the old bathrobe in the mornings.

Of course, I would never dream of doing that now. (Looks around and raises eyebrow to those who dare to dispute this...LOL)
    Playful~

Uh oh. Well, legs get waxed. as does upper lip. Haircut every 4 weeks.Not that I color it or anthing, but like hubby says "brightened".Hair & self washed daily. Teeth whitening toothpaste. Put on some make up daily, so as not to scare self in mirror. Floss frequently during day. Cream face while watching TV.Mask on face while sitting here. Pedicure every 3 weeks at least, manicure-I do that myself,because I care more! Handcream slathered on everytime I wash hands-MANY,MANY TIMES A DAY! Personality test was wrong-I am sure I am OCD. Massage in cream(again while TVing) on tops of feet.heel,elbows.Hmm. The term "high maintenance" is beginning to take on new meaning..
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I do more now than i used to when my kids were young and i was working,it s like a new game to me..
    apart from everyday stuff,i have home spas with facials,peeling,dehairing,the works.
    I usually overdo it when more depressed,it helps a lot.
    I hate body lotions and i have a very dry skin,so i have to be bullied to use them once in a while
    I do everything myself,and i taught my girls too.
    Spa days are fun
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Handwashing & lotioning....that's me! I spend a small fortune in creams and potions.
    Playful~

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    I hate body lotions and i have a very dry skin,so i have to be bullied to use them once in a while
    Effie! The easiest most wonderful thing: when you get out of shower/bath just barely pat skin dry & slather on plain ol'baby oil! I use lavender scented-cheap and faaabulous, Darling!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

But i feel dirty after i put that sticky or oily stuff on my clean skin
    And i tell you a secret,many times,after i ve been bullied by my girls to use a body cream,i go take a bath to wash it off.
    If they catch me,i am dead
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I have a suggestion, Effie....try scented oils in your bath. This way you're clean and soft
    Playful~

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    But i feel dirty after i put that sticky or oily stuff on my clean skin
    And i tell you a secret,many times,after i ve been bullied by my girls to use a body cream,i go take a bath to wash it off.
    If they catch me,i am dead
    NO no NO! I swear to you=baby oil soaks in & just leaves silky skin behind! Just TRY it!

Maybe 30 minutes a day average. I get up, shower, lotion up, blow out hair and put a little wax in it, throw on some Bare Escentuals, and that is it. Add in for the days I shave, get a haircut, throw a mask on, and tweeze stray brows, then it works out to about 30 mins a day.

I've always done everything in the morning. My children have been trained that mommy is not conscious until she is done with her shower and had some coffee...unless someone is bleeding or knocked out.

Yeesh, I'm going to sound like a hobo compared to you guys!

Daily:

Shower (don't wash hair daily)
    Wash face
    Brush teeth
    50/50 chance with make-up (powder & mascara)
    Hair is left to dry naturally (I usually leave the conditioner in it and that's my "product", although I've been getting many compliments on my hair. I've truly mastered the "bed head" look!)

I probably get my hair cut twice per year

Pedicures - summer - probably about once per month
    winter - never

Leg waxing - about every two months

When I was ramping up for my wedding, I did do microdermabrasion twice a week, but I haven't done it since.

I do try to put oil on my body after my shower, but lately that's fallen by the wayside as well.

At least I don't smell bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information