Thread: Skin whitening ads from India

SVZ

Default Skin whitening ads from India

YouTube - Fair & Lovely Ad - India

Dad and daughter go to pray, but have the wrong address. Turns out it is a modeling agency. The receptionist mocks the girl's looks. Dad find "5000 year old" formula for skin whitening, and it's Fair and Lovely. She applies it, and is not pretty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MLZj6lkn7Q

Guy is a stand in/stunt man for a movie, but really wants to be an actor, but can't cuz he is "dark skinned". He starts applying fair and lovely, and all of a sudden he is shades lighter. Now he gets noticed, is an actor, and has it all

YouTube - Genelia - Fair & Lovely

Girl has always wanted to be a sports commentrator. So her parents tell her to use Fair and Lovely. She does, become lighter skinned and is now a cricket commentrator. YAY!!!!

YouTube - Fair & Lovely

This one is from the Middle East, and Arabs are a special kind of crazy. They just can't be light skinned, they have to be COMPLETELY white, almost like a ghost. Some of them put so much make up it's unbelievable Almost similar to the first commercial listed, but in Arabic.

This was interesting but kinda sad. To be lighter is to equal pretty is just not true. I think those girls are gorgeous enough already. They don't even need makeup.

What a crock! They looked great just as they were! I don't know why we can't be happy with the skin color we get! That goes for those hooked-on-tanning-bed people, too !! All they are doing is soaking every last particle of moisture out. God knows what this "Fair & Lovely" junk is doing!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

whom ever manufactures Fair & Lovely can go to hell-and they can take their stupid add/message with them too.
    When you're strange
    Faces come out of the rain

I want to know what the people in the commercial/voiceovers are saying.

This reminds me of when I was in Indonesia on one of those endless bus rides. A woman sat next to me with her gorgeous daughter -- she was about one or so and so cute --and I complimented her on her little girl. She didn't speak much English and my Bahasa was poor, but she told me more or less that her daughter would be much more beautiful if she were white like me. I was quite surprised and tried to tell her that she was just right the way she was, but she insisted. That was so sad. Poor little kid.

There are so many many beautiful skin colors-I mean knock out ones! There is no one "perfect" color! People are nuts!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

How sad.....

What a horrible message to send out

Silver Member

My husband is a red head and he is always told to get a tan! It is ridiculous. If you are pale you need to tan, if you are tan you need to lightern.
    I have dark features and A$$ pale skin ( MAC NC15 ) and my cousins from Beirt always told my parents that it was " prized". No it's because I am half Irish...lol
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

Disturbing.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Lil

This is bonkers, but unfortunately really common. We went to Bali on holiday a couple of years ago and they were selling these skin lightening products everywhere. The Balinese people are very attractive, small and delicate, and made me as a 5' 10" 140lb northern European feel like a heffalump by comparison, but they all wanted to be pale like me. And fatter, too - one beautiful, slim woman we met was taking weight gain powders to try to get fatter because she said it is felt to be more attractive.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

This kind of internalised racism is very sad. The ads are so disturbing, it's almost hard to believe they're real ads and not spoofs.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

sad and sadder. do you know what I would do for naturally bronze skin!? It ages better and looks healthier imo.

i really hate this, it's so stupid. on a different note, when we moved to az. my sister and i were in elementary school, we were teased because we were too light.

Thread Information