Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair extensions

Question Hair extensions

So I am seriously considering getting them after I've saved up some extra $$$. I've thought about getting them for awhile, ever since I got a really short, "Mandy Moore"-esque haircut in late '06...I am at that annoying hair length stage and longing to have long hair again, thinking extensions would be fun for the upcoming summer.

My question is this...has anyone ever gotten them done? How long did it take? Did you do the fusion type? How long are they good for? Does your hair have to be a certain length before they can be put on?

Thanks!
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

I recently bought a set of hair extentions that you clip in, they look really natural if you can professionally put them in yourself or get a 'hairstylist' to do so. I also paid to get them streaked and dyed to match my present hair color. I got them shortened and layered aswell. As for the ones they actually fuse/sew into your hair i've always been tempted to save up and find out, i've seen and talked to girls with this and it looks gorgeous. I've heard from people that it wrecks your existing hair and you'll most likely be forced to cut it short afterward, plus the up keep is going to cost you and set you back a lot of coin. On the opposing side, i've also heard that it doesn't wreck your hair if it's done in a certain procedure and also that it's definately worth it. My advice is to do your research first and be 100% sure of your decision before going through with it. I'm sure the results will be great. Try not to go too long though or you end up with the 'stripper look'. Whatever you decide, get back to us and if you end up getting it done let me know how it went because i'm curious myself. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Thanks Lucy.

I actually will be going with the fusion if/when I get them done. The salon I'll be going to has this really neat fusion tool that almost links it to your hair, it's the coolest thing! And the girls who get it done usually come out smokin' with the results--they just look fantastic. I wouldn't get them too long, probably no longer than midback. I'm excited.

Be careful of where you get the extentions done. Make sure the salon has a great reputation for that sort of thing. You want the best results for your money. If you've witnessed other girls getting them done there and leaving happy and as you said, looking 'smokin' then that's probably a good sign and somewhere you should consider. I saw this gorgeous black girl coming out of the mall a few months back and I had to ask where she had her hair done because it looked amazing. She told me that it was sewn in. Have you or anyone else heard of that? I thought black women normally had extentions or weaves braided in. I'm really considering this and I see more and more women with extentions everyday. I'm slightly skeptical though because I have heard that it can ruin your existing hair. Does anyone know if this is true and they're not just going on what they heard from a friend of a friend?
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Silver Member

i've had them done twice both a few years ago now, they were the keratin bonds and they were fine, didnt ruin my real hair and came out pretty natrually however they didnt last long, think longest was 5 months and considering i was paying 400 for them it was a good waste of money

Did they look pretty real? Was it synthetic hair?
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Quote Originally Posted by prnjcq7 View Post
    So I am seriously considering getting them after I've saved up some extra $$$. I've thought about getting them for awhile, ever since I got a really short, "Mandy Moore"-esque haircut in late '06...I am at that annoying hair length stage and longing to have long hair again, thinking extensions would be fun for the upcoming summer.

My question is this...has anyone ever gotten them done? How long did it take? Did you do the fusion type? How long are they good for? Does your hair have to be a certain length before they can be put on?

Thanks!
    You can go to a wig shop. Meaning a wig shop were they sell black people hair products, or where Asians work & sell hair. Buy the clips there. Sew it to the weft yourself. it will save you tons of money. The clips come 3 in a pack for $1.99 where I live. I use about 14 clips. The hair cost me $7.99 a pack and $9.99 for another. Synthetic hair. (different prices for different brands & textures)Needle & thread, there ya go. Go do a search for how it looks, and sew it like the picture.
    I'm going to Thailand in a few weeks. So I want to not have to worry about my hair being frizzy after I get out from the beautiful turquoise blue water. Its easy to take care of, easy to take out, and won't damage your hair.

P.S. Don't go to Sally's. Too expensive. Synthetic doesn't always mean bad hair. Just can't use heat irons becasue it will melt. Good luck. Let me see a picture when it's done
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I will definitely post pics once I get it done! I am going to save up and get the real fusion type extensions though. It's going to take a couple more months at least in order for my hair to grow out just a bit more. No more Sienna Miller short hair for this chick.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by JuicyLucy View Post
    Did they look pretty real? Was it synthetic hair?
    if this is aimed at me, it was real hair i had and it looked very natural as it pretty much matched the hair colour i had at the time, one thing i loved about them was how well they took to dye as well as using rollers for some reason they kept curls better than my real hair did

i would consider getting them again if it was for a special occasion and i wanted longer hair but tbh the expense of keeping getting them put in puts me off getting them done all the time

I got hair extensions a long time ago, we're talking back in the early 90's, and I HATED them.
    I had the kind that are sewn into cornrows of your own hair. Not sure what you call them.

They came out looking okay, but I just couldn't stand the feeling. They weren't painful or anything, but a bit itchy and heavy feeling. Washing the hair was a bitch too. I was always worried about messing them up.

I could not wear my hair certain ways, like a ponytail, b/c the extensions would show. I felt like I was pretty much stuck with one style. I ended up taking them out myself after about 2 weeks. BIG waste of money. I had to try it out to know for myself though.

Anyway, I'm sure they have improved a lot since then. In my case, maybe the stylist just did a bad job or something.

Just be careful, if you're wanting to grow your hair out it seems that extensions could be very damaging.

Good luck!!

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

dont do it! (well do it if you want but a word of advice): ---its so expensive to get and maintain and they only pull out more hair in the end and sometimes permanently so. thats why ppl like Paris and Britney and Nicole and Pamela Anderson and Anna Nicole Smith have/had to keep getting them b/c they've lost so much of their natural hair that they'd be prematurely thinning and maybe balding w/o them!
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; March 20th, 2007 at 07:58 PM.

Elite Member

i rather agree with alice..i have never gotten extensions because i live is los angeles and many actors i know have gotten them from very good salons and all and still it damaged their hair considerably....

Don't people who have them tend to drop hairs everywhere? Or is that rumor?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I've heard that the Jessica Simpson line of hair extensions are actually really good. They are attached to a cap thing that you wear towards the back of your head. They come in synthetic or natural hair, and there's a really good selection of colors.
    Everybody plays dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    dont do it! (well do it if you want but a word of advice): ---its so expensive to get and maintain and they only pull out more hair in the end and sometimes permanently so. thats why ppl like Paris and Britney and Nicole and Pamela Anderson and Anna Nicole Smith have/had to keep getting them b/c they've lost so much of their natural hair that they'd be prematurely thinning and maybe balding w/o them!
    Yeah that happened to me. I got the extensions glued to my scalp, and it looked great, but then I got sick of them and instead of getting them properly removed, I just ripped them out, taking my own hair with it. I probably lost about 50% of my hair, and I have to use rogaine every day now. My hair will never be the same.
    Of course, that's probably because I didn't have the extensions properly removed...
    Here is a pic of me with the extensions:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information