Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Age-appropriate hair length

Elite Member

Default Age-appropriate hair length

hi guys..just wondering what peoples' thoughts are on this topic..is long hair inappropriate on women after a certain age? and what is that age cut-off if you were to pick a number...

often when i read comments on pics of women who don't have short hair, people say things like 'no-one over 22 should have hair that long' or 'she needs to cut her hair, she's way too old to wear it like that' and so on..

i totally understand that certain clothes look wrong on women who are in their thirties and forties as opposed to being in their teens/early twenties...does this apply to long hair too?

i think i didn't get the memo if this is the case...thought i'd post this and see what the consensus is...

I have long hair and I'm 37. I think as long as you take care of it and know what looks best on you, you're fine. Nothing too trendy over a certain age is what I think works best.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having long hair after a certain age if it looks healthy. Long scraggly hair looks terrible on anyone, regardless of age.

I think it depends on what the condition of the hair and face.

If the hair is stringy and not full and bouncy, long hair is a disaster. It just is, regardless of everything else.

If someone has a very lined and mature face, long hair looks inappropriate and out of place.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I think very long hair - especially if its white - tends to look a little witchy on older women (ie over 50/60), but before that I think it's whatever suits your face-shape and personal style, ie dress sense. Having said that, an elderly relative of mine has very long (mid-back) white poker straight hair (like that guy from Lord of the Rings) and it looks great on her.

I think a lot of women tend to have their hair cut shorter when they have kids (for most late 20s, or 30s) in the thought that it is easy to manage, and perhaps just keep it that way because growing your hair when you are that age doesn't seem practical maybe.

My MIL always compliments my hair and tells me to keep it long whilst I can.

Having long hair but doing absolutely nothing with it at all (no style, just parted) is fucking horrible.

I see so many women who want their hair long, but NEVER GET IT STYLED.. so it just looks like a wet dishtowel hanging off their head.

Ladies: you may think having long hair makes you feminine, but when you do NOTHING with it, it makes you look like a dirty hippy.

.. and hippies suck.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^True....you must do something with it. Don't fall victim to horsehair either!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Having long hair but doing absolutely nothing with it at all (no style, just parted) is fucking horrible.

I see so many women who want their hair long, but NEVER GET IT STYLED.. so it just looks like a wet dishtowel hanging off their head.

Ladies: you may think having long hair makes you feminine, but when you do NOTHING with it, it makes you look like a dirty hippy.

.. and hippies suck.
    Grim you are SO right (omg! I must be on drugs! I never thought I'd hear myself say that!!! LOL!)
    I have a friend that wears her hair long (ok, so I do too, but i have it cut & styled regularly! Honest!), she dies it black from an amazing coppery-chestnut, but never, never, NEVER has it trimmed! its in a centre parting and just kind of hangs there... looking tatty.... URGH!!!
    It does absolutely nothing for her.

I always said that I'd have my cut when it got thinner / grey, well I'm 40 in Nov & it's neither yet.... My hairdresser wouldn't let me walk out of her salon if it looked terrible!

I think that shorter hair (not too short) gives a more youthful appearance
    as you age.
    I’m not crazy about the long, middle part hair that some celebrities
    are wearing (Courteney Cox, Jennifer Aniston, Demi Moore)
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I have long hair and I'm 37. I think as long as you take care of it and know what looks best on you, you're fine. Nothing too trendy over a certain age is what I think works best.

^^Same here, at 44. I keep it cut, lowlights and highlights, sometimes flat-ironed straight, sometimes wavy.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Check this out.

Haircuts That Take Off 10 Years - MSN Lifestyle - Beauty & Style - Slideshow - 1

Haircuts That Take Off 10 Years

© Good Housekeeping

There's no denying it: Your hair and face change as you get older. And so should your cut, because falling into a hair rut (quick test: have you changed your style in the past five years?) will age you faster than you can say, "I'll take a Dorothy Hamill." Finding the right cut and color can give a huge boost to your overall appearance, says New York City stylist Mark Garrison, who did the amazing makeovers shown here. Nervous about radical change? Then think smaller, says Garrison: "You can stick with your favorite style, but update it in little ways." The trick is to work with a stylist who focuses on three key factors: your bone structure, hair texture and preferred maintenance level (how much time you're willing to spend on daily styling). Cover those bases and you're on your way to "Wow!"

Maryellen Hays, 60 (Before)
    • Lives in Middletown, NJ
    • Says her hair is thick with cowlicks
    • Year she got the "before" cut: 2001
    Her Problems
    "Maryellen's hairstyle was too severe," Garrison says. A long bob with bangs can be flattering, but her particular cut lacked shape and movement. She opted to cover her gray, but the dark, one-dimensional brown that she chose framed her face too starkly, as did her too-thick bangs. In her words: "I looked like a mushroom!"

After
    Why This Cut Works
    "Softer bangs combined with length at the nape and fullness at the crown flatter her oval face and really bring out her cheekbones," Garrison says. "We also gave her warm, caramel-colored highlights around the face, being careful not to go too light, which can wash some women out."
    What You Can Do
    Remember that flat-against-the-head rarely means pretty, unless you're 16. We all need a little lift around our faces -- from layers, styling or color -- to get that extra zing.

Malena Aleyanez, 49 (Before)
    • Lives in Union City, NJ
    • Thinks blondes have more fun
    • Year she got the "before" cut: 1986
    Her Problems
    Malena isn't too mature for long hair, "but overprocessing had left her locks straw-dry and unmanageable," says Garrison. "And the color was way too light, making her look pale."

After
    Why This Cut Works
    Garrison snipped off the frazzled ends and gave Malena a sexy bob that brings out her gorgeous bone structure. As for color, "the beauty is in the contrast," says Garrison, whose colorist combined a light brown base with golden highlights in front.
    What You Can Do
    Take a good look in the mirror. Does your hair color mimic your skin tone? If so, you may look washed out, especially in the winter. Choose a base color that's at least two shades darker than your skin tone, even if your hair is blond. If you crave a lighter look, go for highlights.

Morgan Littlefield, 35 (Before)
    • Lives in New York City
    • Likes her hair, but wants a change
    • Year she got the "before" cut: 1991
    Her Problems
    Morgan has naturally thick, wavy hair, "but she wasn't taking advantage of it," said Garrison. And by leaving it long and unshaped, she wasn't doing anything to show off her pretty, youthful features. Lastly, this natural blonde (who didn't previously color her hair) needed a little brightness.

After
    Why This Cut Works
    Face-framing layers retain the look of longer hair without the limpness. The side-swept bangs minimize Morgan's high forehead while playing up her baby blues. Streaks of buttery blond add extra oomph.

What You Can Do
    If you don't have a specific cut in mind, tell the stylist what you don't want and let her make suggestions. Just don't be pressured into trying anything that doesn't sound right.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Wow those three all look a hell a lot better with short hair.

Don't those women look fabulous with their new hair cuts?

I love the second one especially!

Thanks Moomies!
    (My hair is half way down my back, very dark (nearly black, but I'm fair skined & blue eyed) and I've been plucking up courage to get my hairdresser to put some colour in it for the spring! Also as I've lost a bit of weight now, I fancy a bit of a new style (its a bit Denise Richards & I want more shape to it!!!), but she's promised to tell me when it's time to cut it off!!! I live in a small town, so her reputation depends on her customers looking good!)

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I have long hair and I'm not 37! And you're right, nothing too trendy.

Hit By Ban Bus!

i dont like the last one. her before hair is quite similar to mine though so im maybe a bit biased. i would never cut my hair like that. for one because i dont think it would do anything positive for me and two, i cant stand having to style it. if that last lady had makeup on and was dressed better in the before picture she would really look great i think. she looks fricking old now to me.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information