Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair removal; what you get rid of, and how you get rid of it!

Default Hair removal; what you get rid of, and how you get rid of it!

I'm so tired of shaving and waxing, sometimes i wish body hair was more acceptable I do love to have smooth hairless legs but if i never had to shave or wax again i'd be a happy woman.

So my question is; what do you use to remove unwanted body hair, and what do you have to get rid of?

I shave legs and underarm and go to the spa for bikini area and eyebrow waxes.

I've tried the at home waxing, but it just turned out to be a complete mess!

I have thought about laser, but now seeing those pictures, no way jose.

I've tried a few different methods:

Shaving: have to do it so regularly, and it takes a tan off
    Waxing in salon: time-consuming, and have to let it grow quite long which I hate doing
    Waxing at home: sooo messy and the products I've tried haven't been great, and i haven't got the balls to rip those strips anywhere near my bikini line
    Epilating: painful!
    Hair removing creams: Veet doesn't smell so bad anymore, hair is less stubbly but results don't last
    Electrolysis: I have a hair free patch on my left leg. I bought an electrolysis machine last year, which consists of a huge pair of tweezers. Idea is to grip the hair, hold for around three seconds whilst the electro-impulse goes down through the hair, and then 'effortlessly' pull the hair out. Takes bloody ages and is still painful, and was expensive too. I gave up with it and shave around my patch now.

Quote Originally Posted by bella View Post
    I've tried a few different methods:

Shaving: have to do it so regularly, and it takes a tan off
    Waxing in salon: time-consuming, and have to let it grow quite long which I hate doing
    Waxing at home: sooo messy and the products I've tried haven't been great, and i haven't got the balls to rip those strips anywhere near my bikini line
    Epilating: painful!
    Hair removing creams: Veet doesn't smell so bad anymore, hair is less stubbly but results don't last
    Electrolysis: I have a hair free patch on my left leg. I bought an electrolysis machine last year, which consists of a huge pair of tweezers. Idea is to grip the hair, hold for around three seconds whilst the electro-impulse goes down through the hair, and then 'effortlessly' pull the hair out. Takes bloody ages and is still painful, and was expensive too. I gave up with it and shave around my patch now.

I epilate my legs (what can I say, brunette - dark hair!) and I find it hurts if I stop doing it (& shave for a while instead). I also try to do under my arms & my bikini line.
    Basically it hurts like a complete pig to start with but less after a while.
    I do it because the results last longer.
    I can't wax my legs (because I take skin off even more painful!!!!), I don't see the point of hair removal creams because they don't...

Bella - the electroiysis machine? Was it expensive? Surely a bit at a time for the results?

Not really it was 95, and my mother and I bought it between us.

It hurt too much to use repeatedly so it now lives in the back of my cupboard

Quote Originally Posted by bella View Post
    Not really it was 95, and my mother and I bought it between us.

It hurt too much to use repeatedly so it now lives in the back of my cupboard
    Hum... i bought a cheapy epliator (15 from the co-op at xmas) and it's starting to go a bit wonky (mind it's been used a lot!). Did you try electrolysis in a salon first? To see how much it hurt?
    My mum had her chin done (years ago) and it's started to grow again after the M-time* (we're not allowed to mention the M-word....); and as I'm about to have hormone therapy to et preggers.... I'm damned if I do this & then have to do it again after I've had a baby.... Oh - that was too much info, wasn't it?
    * she said it was growing back because her hormones changed...

i shave my armpits at home and get my legs and bikini waxed at a spa. i used to wax my legs at home when i was a student but the minute i got a job my first luxuries were getting waxed at the spa, and hiring a cleaning lady a few hours a week.
    i'm tempted to try laser hair removal on my legs, and electrolysis on armpits and bikini.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Seems like such a biological rip-off on your body's part if your hormones make hair start growing so easily again.

The whole point of electrolysis and laser is that they destroy the damn hair follicle in the first place. But you just get a hormonal surge from pregnancy or menopause and it comes right back to life? God, that's so freakin unfair it makes me want to cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Seems like such a biological rip-off on your body's part if your hormones make hair start growing so easily again.

The whole point of electrolysis and laser is that they destroy the damn hair follicle in the first place. But you just get a hormonal surge from pregnancy or menopause and it comes right back to life? God, that's so freakin unfair it makes me want to cry.
    That was my mum's explaination... but I do take what she says with a pinch of salt (most of the time).

I think that they were growing out of different folicles.... nice huh?

Yeah, maybe different still-intact follicles makes more sense, but it's still depressingly unfair.

I feel like hair removal is a losing battle, personally. Shaving lasts for about 8-10 hours for me. Waxing causes way too many ingrowns. And laser is expensive and not guaranteed to be permanent. Makes me want to run off to a hirsute hermit colony.

Yeah, maybe different still-intact follicles makes more sense, but it's still depressingly unfair.

I feel like hair removal is a losing battle, personally. Shaving lasts for about 8-10 hours for me. Waxing causes way too many ingrowns. And laser is expensive and not guaranteed to be permanent. Makes me want to run off to a hirsute hermit colony.
    That's why I'm glad I live in northern England, not much daylight & no sun!!!
    (long sleeves & long legs!!!)

^Haha I should try that, as I almost always wear long pants anyways...living in cold northern climates might be the answer

Does anyone here actually shave/wax their forearms? I used to work with a girl who did that and it always freaked me out a little.

Nope. Maybe I should, as I'm a little hairier than is considered normal, but I no longer care. I have other more serious, unacceptably hirsute areas that I worry about.

When I was younger maybe 9, I noticed that my arm was hairy and I shaved it. Just that one arm. I looked silly for a week or two, but after that I never really thought it was worth the effort.

In high school I had a friend who was Persian and a little hairy, who waxed her forearms every once in a while and she said it HURT. Not worth the pain for me...

Nope. Maybe I should, as I'm a little hairier than is considered normal, but I no longer care. I have other more serious, unacceptably hirsute areas that I worry about.

When I was younger maybe 9, I noticed that my arm was hairy and I shaved it. Just that one arm. I looked silly for a week or two, but after that I never really thought it was worth the effort.

In high school I had a friend who was Persian and a little hairy, who waxed her forearms every once in a while and she said it HURT. Not worth the pain for me...
    I'm a weird brunette! I have dark hair, but in the summer with a little sun the hair on my arms & face goes blond (like SO fast!) Unfortunately it doesn't work on my legs... and the other areas don't get exposure to the sun.....
    (in face the ahir on my face is like really blond baby hair.... My bestfriend hate me, she's dark & has her face threaded every so often.... Fabulous results!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information