Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I dye my hair back to it's original colour?

Default Should I dye my hair back to it's original colour?

I'm not sure what to do and I'd like your advice! I've been highlighting my hair light blonde for the past 13 years and although I love the colour I'm thinking about making a change and giving my hair a rest by dying it back to my original colour (which I THINK is a darker, mousier, dirty blonde). I'm worried it'll make me look dull. I have fairish skin and blue eyes. Whatcha think??
    Curiouser and curiouser...

SVZ

the darker you go the more your eyes will stand out. look at diaz

Quote Originally Posted by pinklilycat View Post
    I'm not sure what to do and I'd like your advice! I've been highlighting my hair light blonde for the past 13 years and although I love the colour I'm thinking about making a change and giving my hair a rest by dying it back to my original colour (which I THINK is a darker, mousier, dirty blonde). I'm worried it'll make me look dull. I have fairish skin and blue eyes. Whatcha think??
    I have the same problem and everytime I talk to the hairdresser she says "Oh, you can't do that, you're very fair skinned". I would love to either go strawberry blonde at times or dark brown for a change. I say go for it - you can always go back.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

I don't know, maybe you should post a pic. I like extremes colors, plantinum and then dark brown/black. It just depends if you can live with the darker color for longer than a week, some people can't.

After being a bleached blonde since I was 14, I decided to let my hair grow out naturally almost two years ago. I had my hairstylist color it back to it's original medium ash blonde. She did such a great job matching the color that I was able to let it grow out naturally thereafter. My natural hair color is gorgeous, and I get complimented on it all of the time. It's also so much healthier and thicker.

I don't recommend going too dark. It's hard to keep up with and it won't match your natural color.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    I have the same problem and everytime I talk to the hairdresser she says "Oh, you can't do that, you're very fair skinned". I would love to either go strawberry blonde at times or dark brown for a change. I say go for it - you can always go back.
    Your hairdresser does get $$$ when she dyes it. Cha-ching!!!! I have yet to hear a haidresser that suggests something that doesn't financially benefit them.

Pinklilycat, I'd try going back to your natural color. Afterall, you were born with it (OMG I just sounded like a freaking L'Oreal commercial or something! LOL!)
    Go Habs Go!!

Elite Member

i agree with the other posters..try your natural color and then if you don't like it, switch back to what you have now.
    interesting point abt. hair-dressers recommedning things from which they benefit lol..that makes sense

And if you must switch back to your current color after your trying your natural color, then do it after trying on your color for over a week or two, to confirm that you really don't like it, instead of for instance the next day out of shock reasons. Give yourself time to get used to your natural color as you haven't seen it on you for 13 years, which is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong ass time!
    Go Habs Go!!

Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay View Post
    Your hairdresser does get $$$ when she dyes it. Cha-ching!!!! I have yet to hear a haidresser that suggests something that doesn't financially benefit them.
    Sure, either way she's getting paid but what she doesn't know is how antsy I get. If she doesn't eventually do what I want, I'll find someone who will.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

No I did this and spent months and a lot of $$$$ trying to get back to what i had before. You will hait the mousy blond color, i did. If anything just get a few low lights to make it a little "deeper" but you will hate the all one color dark blond.
    Boom, I got your boyfriend, boom I got your man.

Oooh, that's alot of good advice - thanks kids!

I think I'm going to go for the suggestion of some low-lights first just to see how I like the colour, then if I'm happy go the whole hog! I don't fancy going too dark to be honest as I did that once and I really hated it as I looked so washed out and goth-like. My complexion doesn't lend itself to dark locks at all. Fingers crossed I end up with lovely healthy hair like Daphne and not end up loathing it like poor Sinnergirl! I'll keep you posted...

Go darker (darker than you want because the colour will fade) but get a few foils in it to break it up that way you won't think of it as dull.

O.k so I did it. I hate it. I went for the full dark colour straight away - I don't know why! - and once the hairdresser had finished I had ginger hair. Boo. It looked so awful I wanted to cry so I went out this morning and bought a home-dye kit in dark blond. It now looks really dark chestnut brown but at least it's not red. Or green! God knows what my roots are gonna look like as they'll be much lighter than this. I honestly didn't want to have to dye my hair Blondie anymore so I'm sorta glad that I've done something, it's just a shame that it looks pants! I'm dreading having to go to work like this in the morning...

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well hell Pinklilycat, guess you'll hafta pull a Britney

Seriously, I went through this and I went back to my old hair color (the one I'd BEEN dyeing it). I had to leave my hair colorist because she kept bullshitting me and not giving me what I wanted. If you really can't stand it right now or tomorrow, etc., go to another colorist after a few days (let your hair settle down) and talk it over and decide together what to do. A fresh start with a new colorist always seems to help, I've found.

Oh no. We've all done it. Dyed our hair and hated it. It will soon fade out if its anything like my hair. I feel for you. I really do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information