Thread: Expensive is rarely better -- skincare cream study

Default Expensive is rarely better -- skincare cream study

Pricey, cheap creams smooth wrinkles equally: Consumer Reports
    Last Updated: Tuesday, December 5, 2006 | 1:32 PM ET
    CBC Newshttp://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2006/12/05/consumer-reports.html

Whether you spend $100 or $10, most of the wrinkle creams on the market give the same results, only minimally reducing the appearance of lines, suggests a study by Consumer Reports.

The product review, published in the January issue of Consumer Reports, found that Olay Regenerist, a cream that sells in drugstores for about $19 US, performed the best. The pricier Lancôme Paris Rénergie, which sells for about $176, finished second.

Consumer Reports cautioned shoppers that even the skin creams found to be the most effective did not produce the dramatic anti-aging effects promised.

"In CR's tests, the top-rated products did smooth out some fine lines and wrinkles after 12 weeks," the organization said in a release. "But even the best performers reduced the average depth of wrinkles by less than 10 per cent, a magnitude of change that was barely visible to the naked eye."

The most expensive cream tested, La Prairie Cellular at $335 US for an ounce of day cream, was among the least effective products tested.

Testers applied one skin-care product on one side of their faces along with a standard moisturizer on the other side for comparison for 12 weeks. Researchers consulted with dermatologic technicians and used an optical device to measure wrinkle depth and skin roughness to judge effectiveness.

The magazine suggested that consumers determined to fight the signs of aging should take preventive steps such as wearing sunscreen, avoiding tanning salons and quitting smoking.

That's encouraging. I always get overwhelmed when choosing this kind of stuff anyway. I'm using Clinique Superdefense with an SPF 25 - I hope that's high enough protection. I've read you should use a teaspoon of sunscreen everyday, but if I put that much on, my make-up slides off.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Elite Member

I use regular Ponds moisturizer (I think it's SPF 15) and my foundation is SPF 20. I was never much of a tanner, hating to lay in the sun and sweat, and it's paid off big. I look at least 10 years younger (everyone always thinks I'm in my mid twenties). The only lines I have are between my eyebrows from scowling/thinking and a bit on my chin from when I used to smoke.

I cleanse my skin with generic cleanser (similar to Cetaphil) and an alcohol-free toner. I'm too cheap to buy that expensive department store stuff.

I'm actually very happy with my Neutrogena moisturiser, and it's a bargain! Before that I used L'Oreal and was equally happy-it's all about choosing the product that works best for your own skin, and price doesn't really factor into that.

I use Neutrogena moisturizer too, the one with the sunblock. My mom gave it to me when I turned 21 b/c it's her product of choice. My mom is turning 50 this year and is always getting mistaken for my sister, so something's working right for her.

I use rosewater instead of toner - it removes even eye makeup without irritating eyes and it's very cheap

Elite Member

yeah, most creams are over-rated and over-priced
    a decent moisturizer and not baking in the sun = best skincare routine

Has anyone else tried Olay Definity?

I have pigmentation on my face that's got worse as I've got older and I sent off for a free sample of this.... I think that the red has been toned down....
    (and it has SPF 15 in it.... so that's something. Too much irritates my face)

I've also tried evenything for the dark rings under my eyes & eventually ended up with Hylexin. It was expensive but heck! it's done the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
    the best skin care i have ever purchase was from my doctor. consisted of 6 products and it runs $200 for a 6 months supply. damn good deal and it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Sounds good. What is it called?

Thread Information