Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 3 Biggest Lies The Cosmetic Industry Has Sold You...

SVZ

Default The 3 Biggest Lies The Cosmetic Industry Has Sold You...

www.thebeautybrains.com

Kris’ Question:
    I’m testing out Arbonne right now, but am thinking I can’t afford it. My mother-in-law is a “beauty consultant” for BeautiControl and they seem to have a pretty extensive line of skin care products. Do you know anything about the quality of their line (I’m looking mainly at cleansers, toners, anti-aging products and moisturizers) and/or can you recommend any of their products?

The Left Brain Lashes Out:
    Based on what I’ve seen, the Beauticontrol products seem to be of reasonable quality. They’re also very pricey, but if you afford them, that’s your decision.
    What bugs me, and the reason that I would not recommend them, is the way the company hypes their products. I understand the need for creative marketing, but when a company makes statements that border on untrue, that disturbs me. I just hate being lied to and I REALLY hate being lied to under the guise of science. To me there’s at least 3 tip offs when a company is stretching the truth about their products. Let me give you some examples using Beauticontrol:
    Lie #1:Claims of Exclusivity
    What’s the lie - they tell that “only” their products can give you a certain benefit.
    What’s the truth - the truth is, unless they have a patent or a documented trade secret, they’re using the same technology as everyone else in the industry.
    What’s the example -Beauticontrol says “only BeautiControl offers comprehensive, customized skin care that addresses what your skin needs…when it needs it.” Based on their product catalog they appear to have typical cleansers, toners, lotions, etc. that are offered by many, many other companies. Why do they say “only” Beauticontrol offers this kind of treatment?
    Lie #2: Implying Superior Performance without Substantiation
    What’s the lie - they tell you their product works better than anyone else’s.
    What’s the truth - if they make claims like that they’d better have some kind of proof.
    What’s the example - Beauticontrol says “Far beyond traditional dry, combination and oily skin care, BeautiControl takes an innovative, personal approach, to provide total skin wellness through…” Blah, blah blah. Again, with conventional products there is no way they can convince me that their products are “far beyond” traditional ones. Yes, they may be applying a different marketing spin, but there is no technology muscle behind their mouth.
    Lie #3: “Magic” Ingredient Claims
    What’s the lie - they say that some sexy sounding ingredient makes the product work.
    What’s the truth - in reality, most of the time it’s the formula as a whole and not any single ingredient that makes the product work.
    What’s the example - Beauticontrol says one of their products is “formulated with the rejuvenating minerals of the Dead Sea.” Minerals don’t rejuvenate skin, moisturizing agents do.
    Ok, now that I’ve gotten that out of my system, maybe Beauticontrol isn’t “lying” to us (I’m going to catch hell from the Right Brain for this post!) but they certainly are overstating the uniquiness of their line. And as a scientist, that kind of hype turns me off.

I recently went to a dermatologist, who told me the same thing as another derma that I went to 20 years ago: it's almost ALL hype with very few exceptions. I am using fewer skin products than ever before. Just a good exfoliant (Aveda), a toner, moisturizer -- Vaseline and Complex 15 are what the derm recommended and they're both cheap -- and a prescription Retinol cream. Plus, I do a home microdermbrasion once or twice a week. My skin has never looked better.

Can't bring myself to put Vaseline on my face, but the Complex 15, which has been around for decades, works very well. It's about $10 for a big tube. Kinerase, another derm suggestion, is a good moisturizer, too, especially for lightening age spots etc. but it's a lot more expensive.

^^I have heard that vaseline is great for the face...I'm like you, though, PB, I feel nasty with vaseline on my face.
    My face is so confused! I never had acne as a teenager/young adult, but now it wants to act up. I am beginning to wonder if there is a correlation between my face and my period problems.
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Hee hee, I had an auntie who always slathered Vaseline on her face and would then hug us...

What is complex 15 exactly?
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

SVZ

If I remember right, it's similar to glaxalbase (Which is as the name implies, just a neutral base) except it has urea in it.

Yep, it's all hype. The only shopping around I do in terms of cosmetics are the ones that work best on my skin-ie, not cause breakouts. I'm using Neutrogena moisturiser, face wash and toner, and I'm very happy with them. I also use Garnier eye cream.

PB-Vaseline? Did your dermatologist mean their moisturiser products, or just the indiluted stuff? I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    If I remember right, it's similar to glaxalbase (Which is as the name implies, just a neutral base) except it has urea in it.
    SCIENCE!!!

"I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Aella, just plain old Vaseline in the jar. Complex 15:

http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharm...PLEX%2015.html

Yikes! I'm sure it would work on a lot of skin types, but if I tried it, it would be Oil And Zit Central.

My skin reacts so much better to using limited products also. I have gone right back to basics and only use a simple exfoliating cleanser and moisturiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Yikes! I'm sure it would work on a lot of skin types, but if I tried it, it would be Oil And Zit Central.
    I think the same thing, but apparently you only use a small amount and your skin adjusts quickly.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

My friend once told me that one reason you break out is because your skin doesn't have enough moisture...this may not be the case for everyone but this vaseline thing might work if you are prone to zits because of unseemingly dry skin...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

The only problem with the vaseline is it ends up all over your pillowcase and some gets in your hair while your sleep!

Silver Member

I put vaseline under my eyes most nights. I find it makes my eyes look more dewey (?) in the morning and not so puffy underneath. Sometimes I put liquid Vitamin E also, but usually have to wait to go to bed because THAT gets my pillow messy.

Vitamin A (Retinol) is also excellent for your skin..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information