Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when your hair designer....

Default What do you do when your hair designer....

screws up your hair?

I got my hair "did" yesterday and she cut WAY too much off the length. I about died in the chair. I just was so stunned that I couldn't do anything but just pay and leave. I got home and fortunately, all my kids and hubby likes it but said no shorter than it is. She cut off 4 inches! I guess she didn't hear me say "trim it up" or maybe that is her way of trimming!

Anyways, what have you done or what would you do if your hair was not cut or styled to your instructions?

SVZ

You're supposed to complain, and get your money back (apparently).

However I've always wussed out and just wait for it to grow out, but my hair is probably significantly shorter than yours...I hate when stylists "do what's right" for your hair and end up totally ruining it. I had a mullet/mushroom head for a little while, that's when I just started cutting my hair short.

I'd find out when the owner or manager is in and complain directly to them I've had good luck with this method. I have very long hair and went in for a 'trim' (1-2inches). She cut off six!! I didn't really notice at the time, until I got up and saw the bales of hair on the floor. The next day I met with the manager, explained my dissatisfaction and received a full refund for the cost of the style, as well as a 50% coupon for some product (which I bought with my refund money).

Is this someone you've been to before, is she/he generally good? It could have been an off day and if you have a relationship you might not want to burn that bridge by complaining, but I'd definitely bring it up at the next cut to ensure the same 'misunderstanding' doesn't happen again.

It's complicated when you've gone to the same person for years, and you adore them personally, because then of course, you're not going to complain to the owner, or whatever. My stylist did the exact same thing about a year and a half ago - I said short layers, long hair and he did long layers, short hair. We both almost hyperventilated when we saw what he did. Did I mention that I adore this man? Anyway, he had his best friend touch it up a few days later because I coudn't do a thing with it (or stop crying about it ) and he suggested that I just have her cut my hair from now on. It hurt my feelings, but he & his friend were right when they said that my stylist tended toward "old lady" hairstyles and that the friend would probably make me happier. I've been pretty happy with her, so far, but the whole thing was upsetting. You form a relationship with your hairstylist, and it's awkward and weird to "break up" with them.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Perhaps the stylist cut more hair off very long hair because the ends were badly damaged. My niece went to the hairdresser the other day and refused to let the stylist cut more than an inch off her long hair. Result: her hair looks exactly the same, and she still has lots of straggly split ends. Now that's what I call a waste of money and time.

A*O

Meh - you can huff and puff and maybe get your money back, but it's not going to make your hair grow back. I'm not saying the stylist isn't partly to blame if she didn't follow your instructions but sometimes you need to move out of your comfort zone and try something new? Your husband likes it, maybe you don't like it because it's confronting to see something different?? And having a really good 'chop' certainly makes your hair much healthier in the long run.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    screws up your hair?

I got my hair "did" yesterday and she cut WAY too much off the length. I about died in the chair. I just was so stunned that I couldn't do anything but just pay and leave. I got home and fortunately, all my kids and hubby likes it but said no shorter than it is. She cut off 4 inches! I guess she didn't hear me say "trim it up" or maybe that is her way of trimming!

Anyways, what have you done or what would you do if your hair was not cut or styled to your instructions?
    You cry. I had my hair groing long for the first time in my life when I was 9, and, in the middle of the Minnesota winter, mom takes me out for a haircut (wtf?). Mom suggested those egg-shaped cuts from the 70's (that boys had), and I begged her not to. She said okay, but I found it weird I had my back turned to the mirror the hole time. Needless say, I came out crying with that fucking helmet on. My sister laughs at me to this day; I was teased to death and NEVER cut my hair short again.

My ends weren't damaged, but it turned out that after a little growing in period, I had fun with that cut. Like A*O said, it was something different, and after I figured out how to fix it, I got TONS of compliments on that cut. I had to give a speech at a courthouse, and afterwards, I was swarmed with women demanding to know who cut my hair! It was funny, because it all started with a haircut that made me cry.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

A*O

I had a very similar experience. I went for the 'safe option' zzzzzz and my stylist who's a complete homo bitch but a BRILLIANT cutter told me to shut up and put up. And I absolutely hated the result until I stepped out of the salon and all my friends and family said what a FAB look it was, who did it, etc etc.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

im still in the process of growing out a bad haircut. I asked the hairdresser to trim my hair and fix up my layers a bit and when she had finished i had a mullet sort of thing going on. Short layers on top and long scraggy bits down the bottom. as my hair is naturally curly it looked ridiculous its now finally long enough to tie back without having curls springing up on the top of my head. Not sure if im ready to go back for a haircut yet!!

two years ago i had the most HORRIBLE hair cut EVER!! i wanted long subtle layers and instead I got short layers that began at my cheekbones, the lady gave me bangs alot of them, and my layers were jagged and awful looking. When I saw it I cried, my boyfriend came to see and he was like it'll grow back. That's when I got angry and refused to pay for it. The manager came out and it was a loud scene, but in the end I didn't have to pay for it. But since then, a friend told me she was fired after she kept messing up people's hair.

Usually if my hair isn't exactly how I want it, or way shorter than I asked for, I deal--as long as I can manage it. The only time I complained is when I came home (wanting to cry at the salon but I didn't), tried for hours to get it to do ANYTHING (it wouldn't, it was a BAD cut). I called the salon and nicely explained that I simply couldn't do anything with my hair. She said I could have a refund or come back and get it fixed. I went back the same day, to a different stylist who knew what she doing, and she did a fabulous job fixing it.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I read in a magazine somewhere this month that you should always use your hand to show your stylist exactly how short you want your hair cut.

Saying one inch to you may mean three to your stylist.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Happens to me once every couple of years, and by my trusted stylist. For some reason we have a misunderstanding or something. The good thing is it's usually a "good" cut, even if I hate it. Meaning that it's fresh, even, stylish and clean. Sometimes it's just that he's gone a little to short or over layered it and it becomes a handful for me. Usually, I just try to style it my usual way, or wear it up a lot until it grows in a bit. Now, I have had awful experiences before where there was nothing I could do but cry! Before I found the guy I go to now, I was going to another stylist who made me look like a friggin' feather duster. I have wavy hair that tends to frizz unless I straighten it properly, she texturized my hair starting about two inches from the roots, all the way down past my shoulders. It was a mess. Nothing I could do except cry, complain and never give my money to that salon again.
    Last edited by KrisNine; November 21st, 2006 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I had a very similar experience. I went for the 'safe option' zzzzzz and my stylist who's a complete homo bitch but a BRILLIANT cutter told me to shut up and put up. And I absolutely hated the result until I stepped out of the salon and all my friends and family said what a FAB look it was, who did it, etc etc.
    That's also happened to me. Sometimes you need to be blasted out of your comfort zone.

But I've also had a couple of disasters, like when an expensive stylist cut my hair completely unevenly and it wasn't until I got home that it became apparent, and of course, I was flying out early the next morning and they were already closed.

I also had someone burn my scalp, and turn my hair into frizzies by overperming it. Now I stick to a man who's a friend and a great colourist. He's not as good a cutter, but he's OK. Plus, he works from his home with a great view of the mountains and ocean and hands out cappuccino and cookies and if you come late in the day/early evening, glasses of wine. We always have lots of fun and the price is right, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information