Login to remove the ads!

Thread: What is the BEST Makeup?

Default What is the BEST Makeup?

Specifically, I'm interested in picking up some very good foundation and concealer - something not necessarily for everyday, but to give me that perfect photo finish for special occasions or photos. My skin is basically normal (now that I'm back on the pill) - I get occasional breakouts, but I wouldn't call it either oily or dry. I am prone to clogged pores. I like a dewy finish, as opposed to very matte, but I don't want to look shiny in photos.

I've heard good things about the Diorskin line. Has anyone had experience with this line? Or any others you would recommend? I'm not too concerned about price point in this case, only because I plan to use it primarily for special occasions. Thanks.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I use Diorskin and I would recommend it. It doesn't give super-heavy coverage but it's plenty for normal skin. I always use MAC Studio Fix on top for a little more coverage and to set it. It's reasonably dewy without the powder.

Elizabeth Arden's Sheer Lights tinted moisturizer is quite dewy and I use it in the summer occasionally, but I find it too minimal for winter.

I'm still looking for the perfect concealer but I swear by Yves Saint Laurent Touch Eclat. There's a thread on it somewhere here. It's a highlighter but it works to diffuse light and draw attention away from the dark circles and trouble spots. Always put your foundation on first before you apply it.

Chanel makes some great stuff but it is more expensive and tends to be a bit heavier than you might want. Prescriptives is also good, and they will match the foundation to your skin perfectly.

Thanks, PB, I knew I could count on you, hehe. After I posted this I did some searches and found the Touche Eclat thread. I think I will head to Holt's and ask to test both that and some Diorskin products. Would you use the Touche Eclat for both dark circles and blemishes?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I do, but I don't know if it's recommended. They can probably recommend a good concealer. I used to like Estee Lauder's concealer but I found that it made the skin under my eyes flaky so I stopped using it.

H2O - lots and lots, about three time your normal intake - I was reminded of this when forced to drink 4 liters in three hours for a medical test recently - I could see my skin getting smoother with every bottle I gulped down - After that just a touch of sun powder will do

I think it depends. I've been drinking about 10-12 large glasses of water, plus herbal tea and coffee in much smaller amounts for more than 20 years and while I have quite good skin, I still feel the need for a little coverage in the winter.

Lil

Laura Mercier does a good concealer called Secret Camouflage. You get two shades that you mix together so you can get a good match. I usually soften it with a little foundation (I like Prescriptives Traceless - nice and light). But I do use Touche Eclat under my eyes.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Lil, you and I have a lot in common with make-up. Touche Eclat is wonderful. I'm very fair and you can see the circles (bluish) under my eyes. I love it because it doesn't cake at all. As for foundation, I use Laura Mercier foundation mixed with the tinted moisturizer. It's nice coverage and doesn't look like you have a face full of makeup.

Elite Member

IMO what works for me is Prescriptives. I looooove their foundations, especially their Flawless Foundation line. I'd endorse that shit for free if I were famous--IT'S THE BEST.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I swear by Max Factor's Powder Foundation. It is very fast to apply and it is not at all oily/greasy. It is also not cakey or heavy looking but it gives impeccable coverage. The cost is about $8.oo and I know Wal-Fart sells MF. Makeup Alley gave it the highest reviews over any other powder foundation, even the department store brands. I used to sell dept store cosmetics and I've been very impressed by Makeup Alley. The powder found. would also be excellent over a sheer foundation or tinted moisturizer, but it gives excellent coverage alone,too. If you're fair, Champagne Beige is good. The Ivory is actually darker with cooler tone to it. Good luck!

MAC...all the waaaaaay!!!

Bronze Member

try thecosmeticscop.com
    Paula Begoun reviews tons of makeup. You can do a search on what you're looking for and see how it rated.

Thread Information